Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 06:57 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Tipping is basically a bribe, except a legal one, to get your server to give you special treatment.
In that regard, working anywhere would imply the owner is bribing you with a paycheck to do your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 01:42 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Tipping is basically a bribe, except a legal one, to get your server to give you special treatment.
I've always tipped AFTER my meal, and then it's because I've appreciated the good service....employers should just keep the hell out of it, 40 years ago, if the waitress was good at what she did SHE got the tip on the table, it should go straight into her/his pocket....end of story....nobodys business but the customer and the server.....also I've never tipped just cause a gal was "hot", maybe some would, but for me it's all about the service .

Old 08-18-2012, 01:44 PM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
working at a job where tips dominate your pay is no different then working for a job on a commission basis.

good waiters here in nyc can easily clear a grand a week.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:49 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
isn't the whole system rather unfair though?

I mean, surely the hot flirtatious girl will get the most tips - so will have to flaunt herself to sexist customers, whilst the not-so-good looking waitressess and grunts get only a few dimes.

it's not right
I don't really agree with you here, maybe a single man will tip the "hot flirtatious" girl, (she definitely would NOT have to "flaunt" herself either), but some people DO tip because the server is friendly and personable, and attentive to their wants (it has nothing to do with looks)....there's nothing unfair about that, what's unfair is a good waitress having to share what she deserves with some no-mind that's just putting in time.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:57 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I don't really agree with you here, maybe a single man will tip the "hot flirtatious" girl, (she definitely would NOT have to "flaunt" herself either), but some people DO tip because the server is friendly and personable, and attentive to their wants (it has nothing to do with looks)....there's nothing unfair about that, what's unfair is a good waitress having to share what she deserves with some no-mind that's just putting in time.
not to mention, the "hot" waitress is not just serving single men- lol. she's also serving other women and families. while it might be a good thing to be "hot" when waiting on a single man, it would be a bad thing when waiting on a (potentially jealous and resentful) female. really the people who make the most in tipped industries are the ones who are friendly and always smiling. "hottness" isn't a significant factor imo, though things like good personal hygiene likely play a role.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:07 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:
it's quite clear how messed up this system is.

let's say a worker gets $5hr tips - then he loses this off his paycheck

sound a little like communism , but no, of course not - there is an incentive for the employer, but not the worker of course!

Capitalist exploitation at its finest.
LOL, ah tips are typicaly 10-20% of the meal and each state has different rules about how much tip the owner can substract. If a worker is getting $5 an hour in tips he is doing badly. I typically tip $2.00 for any meal under $20.00 and more than $2.00 for any meal over $20.00. Anyway the way it works is that the owner must pay the min. wage an hour but can subtract tips off the worker's checks in some cases.

Anyway the employer must pay $7.25/hr if the waiter got no tips. They can reduce the amount they pay if the waiter got tips but it cannot fall bellow $2.13/hr. So in your example, the person would still make $7.25 an hour. The employer however would only have to pay $2.25 an hour and the tips would make up the rest.

Tips under $7.25 an hour or no Tips the worker makes $58 a day(8 hours).

However let’s say they clear $7.50 an hour in tips. They are making more than min. wage now($7.25). The employer must pay $2.13 an hour for a total of $17.04 and the person made $67.04 for the day.

And the tips must be over $30.00 a month(you could earn that much in an hour waiting on tables).

Here is an guide:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-s606/United-States:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

In addition hours worked over 40 a week must be paid at time and a half.

Last edited by chirack; 08-18-2012 at 02:17 PM..

Old 08-18-2012, 02:09 PM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
time and a half on 2.31 an hour... lets see, that should cover the new porsche.

so many companies today are ending up in court ,they put out a tip jar and try to get by paying the 2.31 an hour . so far the courts have hammered them for doing it.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:58 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
the best system to me would be this:

pay everyone the min wage - say $7.25/hr.

collect all the tips and share them equally amongst all staff working that shift - Ie: to include kitchen staff and management.

plus 1 or 2 extra shares for the business to cover costs.

how about that idea?

Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:
the best system to me would be this:

pay everyone the min wage - say $7.25/hr.

collect all the tips and share them equally amongst all staff working that shift - Ie: to include kitchen staff and management.

plus 1 or 2 extra shares for the business to cover costs.

how about that idea?
Nah that would be unfair imho. I want my tip to go to my waiter.

In some states you don't subtract tips from wage(it is a state by state thing). I my state you cannot remove more than 40% of the tip or $2.60 a hour. The tipped wage rate must be $3.90 an hour.The law was written before the last min wage increase to $7.25 but applies the same(i.e. you can never work full time hourly as an adult and make less than that).

Management of a dinner can be the owner of it and he can be making a lot more money than the staff(or lossing it cause staff must be paid, owner not). Also management if not the owner is often salaried (exempt) which is another totally different category of employee.

Cooks are skilled and paided a different rate than say a waiter. They can earn like $9-30 or so an hour depending on the kind of cook and place he works at.

Also people work different shifts and the staffing needs of a dinner change over the day(morning rush, lunch rush then dinner rush). Some places only run say Breakfast and lunch others run 24 hours a day.

The cost of the buisness is factored into the menu(how much you pay) .

Last edited by chirack; 08-18-2012 at 08:56 PM..

Old 08-18-2012, 10:48 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,835 times
Quote:
isn't the whole system rather unfair though?

I mean, surely the hot flirtatious girl will get the most tips - so will have to flaunt herself to sexist customers, whilst the not-so-good looking waitressess and grunts get only a few dimes.

it's not right
how is that unfair?people are going to tip them more because they had a more enjoyable experience all other things being equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics