Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 03:09 PM

673 posts, read 3,091,425 times

Advertisements

Scanning through these posts, I am surprised no one mentioned that some restaurants and services automatically add a tip to the bill. A lot of restaurants have this if you have large group of people, say 10 people or more. Also, I know room-service in hotel always add at least a 15% tip to the bill. This policy is my main complaint, when the tip is REQUIRED.

I find this policy of restaurants/room service annoying because I don't have choice to give 0 tip for poor service. Only thing I can do is add more to the tip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 04:06 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
I tip directly with the waitress. I make it a point to shake her hand when leaving and Palm the tip ($5/10).

When paying the bill with a CC the cashier made a point showing me the line for a TIP. I said that I already gave a TIP (as the waitress walked up behind her and smiled at me)........NEVER went back to that chain restaurant again.

The waitress was Hispanic and I spoke to her in Spanish while she replied back to me in English...(maybe a company policy).

T

Old 08-19-2012, 06:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Scanning through these posts, I am surprised no one mentioned that some restaurants and services automatically add a tip to the bill. A lot of restaurants have this if you have large group of people, say 10 people or more. Also, I know room-service in hotel always add at least a 15% tip to the bill. This policy is my main complaint, when the tip is REQUIRED.

I find this policy of restaurants/room service annoying because I don't have choice to give 0 tip for poor service. Only thing I can do is add more to the tip!
There was another thread somewhere that was discussing the automatic tip required for a large number of guests. In most cases the restaurants tell you this upfront (it's usually printed on the menu), so I don't see it being a problem. If you don't want to pay the tip, you still have the opportunity to take your business elsewhere.

Room-service typically adds a 15-18% service charge to the bill. This is not a tip. If you want to leave a tip, you have to do so in addition to the service charge.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:39 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
it's all a rather old fashioned system if you ask me.

The tipping service is just to make the servants grovel more and be aware of their subservient place in society.

why not just bring back slavery.

and how does having a large chest actually make one a better waitress? - just good old fashioned sexism!

Old 08-19-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post

The tipping service is just to make the servants grovel more and be aware of their subservient place in society.
What's wrong with that?
Quote:

Let's not excite the democrats by throwing the word "slavery" around. The servants in a restaurant are paid and are respected members of society.
Quote:

and how does having a large chest actually make one a better waitress? - just good old fashioned sexism!
People go to restaurants for a good experience. A girl with a larger chest may provide a better experience, thus she may get a better tip.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:05 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post

i hate this
usually the service sucks, and even if it doesnt im not gonna tip extra because i get burnt too often getting stuck tipping for bad service

Old 08-19-2012, 11:26 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:

Many women have found quite profitable and productive uses for their large chests......

As for slavery remember they get paid tip or no tip. Plus waiting tables is something college kids do in the summer, something someone might do part time to bring in extra cash and so forth. In our country everyone has the same rights as everyone else. Money can buy a lot but it can't buy everything.

You sound like the old soviets. They monitered the price of blood and assumed the US was going to war shortly because the price of blood increased! What they didn't know is that blood is usually donated for free(and the price simply reflects processing and handling(i.e. It isn't as tied to supply and demand as they thought.).

Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
no one has yet answered the most pertinent question though:

'why should the customer pay the wages of the staff?'

Old 08-20-2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
no one has yet answered the most pertinent question though:

'why should the customer pay the wages of the staff?'
Because they want to. Tipping is optional. No one is forcing the customer to pay the staff. Customers do it voluntarily.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:33 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
there are perks that go with every job that become part of that jobs compensation package.

certain jobs have evolved around the consumer paying them based on service , like waiters, doormen, taxi drivers when you dont own the cab, folks who handle luggage , bartenders ,the list goes on and on.

these jobs are structured like commission jobs. just like the commission you earn is padded into the bill the customer gets so are the expenses of paying the staff.

if the restaurant had to pay the waiters more you would just pay more for the food to cover that expense , thats all that would happen.

do you really think the price of the food would be the same if they had to pay more than double an hour to your server?

the price of the food would just be 20% higher.

to attract really really good waiters requires a whole lot more than minimum wage. try going to a some of the fine restaurantes we have here in nyc . waiters earn as much as 100k a year.
they are true professionals at what they do. im not talking about bringing you the right order.

im talking about the ability to blend themselves so well into your dinning experience. their personalities, humor, ability to steer you to order things you may not have ordered on your own,etc.

i had one waiter at the four seasons who was so in tune with us at the table that he realized i was lefty and would set my dishes and silverware up accordingly once he noticed.

these folks want to be paid on commission with tips.many like the idea of earning a living based on the service they perform without being locked into an hourly wage.

in any case you the consumer will pay for the services either by tips or having the price built into the food .

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-20-2012 at 03:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics