Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 09:06 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2byte View Post
By upping the min wage to $15/hr for unskilled labor demeans those of us in skilled jobs & decreases the value of skilled workers. The only "unskilled" workers that should receive a higher pay are those in risk jobs - Security, dangerous machinery...jobs w risk, besides grease splatter.
Which is why their wages would just go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 02:44 AM

109 posts, read 143,759 times
Lets pay unskilled workers, I mean laborers 15.00 to flip burgers, show up late, take days off and see the Happy Meal go to 10.00 to pay those who have no skills other then putting fries into the grease.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:42 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
Here on the eastern seaboard we have a vast chain of large convenience stores named WaWa that serve some incredibly good food.
Automated food ordering has been the norm at WaWa for at least four years now.

I have ordered food at my local WaWa many many times and not once has my selection been made incorrectly due to human interaction with an ordering system.

Here is a photo of the ordering screens at WaWa.

Look forward to these being in the fast food restaurant of your choice sooner than later, especially if you see a rise in fast food worker wages beyond what the fast food business model can absorb.
Any further protest will do nothing but hasten the demise of positions that an unskilled human does and the rise of machines to take their place.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
As min wage goes up so will automation increase.

McDonald's is using kiosks in Europe.
Applebee's is installing pads at each table so customers can order drinks, desserts and pay their bill. They said the main meal will still be ordered via a waiter/waitress but how long will they keep that if the software ordering proves acceptable with customers ?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:36 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,014 times
Considering my total inability to even cook a decent burger, I'll gladly let them have their $15 an hour. I have a feeling that those who disapprove have never worked at such jobs. $7.50 an hour - Missouri's minimum wage as of January 1, 2014 - is not even a living wage. If they get 40 hours a week - and most don't - that is $300 a week, $1200 a month. I challenge you to make a decent living on that, especially If you have a family to support.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:20 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Considering my total inability to even cook a decent burger, I'll gladly let them have their $15 an hour. I have a feeling that those who disapprove have never worked at such jobs.
You would be wrong. I've worked minimum wage jobs back when the minimum wage was half of what it is now. It helped me to learn some basic work skills and encouraged me to improve my value as an employee so that I wouldn't have to do it again.

Quote:
$7.50 an hour - Missouri's minimum wage as of January 1, 2014 - is not even a living wage.
You can live on $7.50 an hour as long as you are frugal and single, which is exactly the demographic that minimum wage jobs are meant for. You won't live in luxury, you probably won't have more than a roof over your head (probably with a roommate), basic utilities, and groceries, but it is possible.

Quote:
If they get 40 hours a week - and most don't - that is $300 a week, $1200 a month. I challenge you to make a decent living on that, especially If you have a family to support.
And this is where the entire argument for raising the minimum wage implodes. Why would anyone attempt to raise a family on minimum wage to begin with? If you have children and you are making minimum wage, you made some seriously bad decisions in your life. Blaming your employer because you didn't have the common sense to realize that $1200 a month isn't enough to raise children on is at the very least dishonest, not to mention idiotic.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:22 AM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
As min wage goes up so will automation increase.

McDonald's is using kiosks in Europe.
Applebee's is installing pads at each table so customers can order drinks, desserts and pay their bill. They said the main meal will still be ordered via a waiter/waitress but how long will they keep that if the software ordering proves acceptable with customers ?
In the short term, until $15 becomes the new $1.50, yes this will happen.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:31 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Any further protest will do nothing but hasten the demise of positions that an unskilled human does and the rise of machines to take their place.
If they can find a way to automate for the equivalent of $1/hr they will, no matter what the minimum wage. Most people are worth half of what they are paid and believe they are worth double, not just the burger flippers! Be careful what you wish for, most any job can be outsourced or underbid!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 AM

390 posts, read 824,535 times
Ridiculous. I know computer programmers with college degrees who make $15/hr (granted, they are entry level jobs, but still).
If minimum wage gets set to $15/hr, it will cause massive wage inflation and massive unemployment. You know how India and China are getting all of our jobs because the cost of labor over there is so cheap? Expect that trend to greatly accelerate. As someone in the software industry, I'm already dealing with wages stagnating, or even decreasing (as in the case of web development with PHP especially), due to competition with overseas developers. If wages in the US go up even further, it will start to become impossible for American software developers with little experience to find entry level jobs, because all those jobs will be overseas. And then when none of the younger people can get into the software industry because they can't even get an entry level job, there will start to become few experienced developers left, and then companies will turn to overseas devs to fill that hole as well.

You can survive on minimum wage at 30-40 hours a week easily (I know many people who survive on minimum wage at 20 hours a week), but your quality of life won't be very high (then again, for most of the population of the world, it isn't very high). You just have to live like most people in the world - live in multigenerational housing - aka live with your family, or even live with a lot of room mates. You may or may not be able to afford a vehicle.

If you share an apartment or rent a room (even sharing a room) in a house (renting a room in a house seems to be cheaper), you can get your monthly rent (which includes utilities) down to $200-400 per month (unless you live in a really high cost of living area). Use public transportation/carpooling and walk everywhere, and you don't have to mess with car payments, car insurance, car repairs, state inspections/registration fees, etc. It's pretty simple to survive on less than $100 per month in grocery bills as well (rice and beans is nutritious and cheap). Now when it comes to health care, you're probably screwed, but we will see. If you are a single parent with a minimum wage job, your only option is to either work all the time or live with family for no rent or very little rent.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:04 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times
Quote:
Considering my total inability to even cook a decent burger, I'll gladly let them have their $15 an hour. I have a feeling that those who disapprove have never worked at such jobs. $7.50 an hour - Missouri's minimum wage as of January 1, 2014 - is not even a living wage. If they get 40 hours a week - and most don't - that is $300 a week, $1200 a month. I challenge you to make a decent living on that, especially If you have a family to support.
I remember when a McJob was a stepping-stone for a high school, college student or someone just looking to make a few extra bucks. It’s become pretty darn cool as of late to hate on success. It seems that between Google buses getting pelted with rocks and Obama youth rallies at the mall featuring the knock out game you just can’t win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics