Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 12:01 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
1. My time is worth more than my money. I don't like to deal with checkout lines, clueless customers and slow employees. Customers often don't have their method of payment ready and wait until the total is announced before starting to dig in their bag.

2. You get what you pay for. I will choose quality over quantity, always. Does it really save you money if you have to use twice as much of an off-brand detergent to wash a load of clothes? Or if the cheap quality clothing shrinks or falls apart and has to be replaced?

3. The shopping environment is depressing. Why do so many Walmart shoppers look like they have lost their last hope in life? Or are morbidly obese with carts full of junk food? And why do the kids of Walmart shoppers run, climb, shriek, scream and misbehave in general?
Okay....#1 is not a Walmart thing. It is a HUMAN thing and I see it in every store in town. In fact, I see this everywhere! People wait till the last minute to dig out their 'method of payment' at ALL the stores I go to. They ALL have checkout lines, sometimes long ones. There are good and not so good employees in ALL businesses. Why do you put it all on Walmart?

2. Why do you have to choose quantity over quality? Walmart carries all the same, or most, name brands as any other store. Why do you have to buy an off brand anything if you don't want to? I don't seem to have a problem with Walmart clothes, except that not many of them fit me.

3. I don't know where you are located but since I keep hearing all these things about Walmart shoppers I've made it a special 'project' to watch. Danged if they don't look pretty normal. Every once in a while we'll get the ones who think it's 'cute'...or they are lazy...and come in wearing pajama bottoms or something stupid like that, but it's a verrrrry small minority. Yeah, there's People of Walmart but I'm waiting for the People of Safeway/Fry's/other stores, because all those people DO shop at other stores too. I don't see morbidly obese people with carts full of junk food either. We do have ALL sizes and shapes and they ALL buy junk food. Some a lot, some not so much. Once in while a kid will throw a tantrum or tiny baby will cry like crazy but, for the most part, our store is not full of stuff like that.

Now, like I said, I don't know where you are located but I have a hunch you are just going on like a lot of people who believe all they hear about Walmart. You don't like Walmart. That's fine and nobody really cares so just don't shop there and you'll be happier.

I work for Walmart and, yes, I'm a tad biased because I get sick of people complaining about the company who don't really KNOW anything about it. What they've heard or read mostly and most of it is a crock. I work my butt off to give ALL of my customers a good shopping experience, and so do most of my co workers, so it irritates me to see people talk like they do ABOUT us.

Sorry for the rant...but it really does make me a little mad. Especially after just coming home from a long day of long lines and unrelenting pressure. And SMILE, be friendly, efficient, etc. etc.. First week of the month...SS checks, new EBT money, income taxes coming in... Crazy! And then I have to read crap like this.

Off my soapbox///Sorry...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I was shopping there less because of this but recently our local WalMart installed self service check out lanes which I have learn to use pretty well and the checkout process goes much quicker. In and out with much less fuss.
Good for you for learning how to do it so that it IS "much less fuss". I often work the self checkouts and I can tell you that most of the problems people have with them is because of THEM. They just start punching buttons, etc. without reading what's on the screen and mess things up. They get mad every time I have to go give an 'age approval', or they put something down, pick it up, put it down again and I have to go 'fix' the scanner because it thinks the shopper bagged something without scanning it. Then there are the ones who don't read the signs that say CARDS ONLY...NO CASH BACK and try to put cash in and get mad that it's cards only. So many things can go 'wrong' I feel like I'm just running from one scanner to the next the whole time. I am always impressed when I watch people who are actually good at using the self checkout scanners but it's the kids that amaze me. They are good!

Old 04-05-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
/yawn.

Old wive's tail. Bandied about forever, usually by clearly false stories like this one:
Can This Be True Of Wal-Mart? - BusinessWeek

Called the factory.

If it's the same model #, it's the same item. End of story. All the Wal-Mart specials have different item numbers, often you can't even get them anywhere other than Wal-Mart at all. In that case, yes, different Samsung TV since it's sold exclusively at Wal-Mart. But that's about the same as saying a 24" inch TV isn't the same as a 72" TV. Duh.
You know, people believe this stuff just because it's Walmart. I should be used to it by now but it still irritates me. lol

Old 04-05-2014, 12:24 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
1. My time is worth more than my money. I don't like to deal with checkout lines, clueless customers and slow employees. Customers often don't have their method of payment ready and wait until the total is announced before starting to dig in their bag.

2. You get what you pay for. I will choose quality over quantity, always. Does it really save you money if you have to use twice as much of an off-brand detergent to wash a load of clothes? Or if the cheap quality clothing shrinks or falls apart and has to be replaced?

3. The shopping environment is depressing. Why do so many Walmart shoppers look like they have lost their last hope in life? Or are morbidly obese with carts full of junk food? And why do the kids of Walmart shoppers run, climb, shriek, scream and misbehave in general?

1. Go to ANY shop anywhere and see the same thing, this is not limited by law to Walmart.

2. I have several shirts that came from Walmart from about 7 years ago that are still in great shape, worn often and have not fallen apart, torn, wrinkled or needed replacement. I do not buy off brand detergent so that is not an issue and we will purchase quality over quantity more often than not however, the King Arthur Flour Company Flour you get at Walmart is the same as the King Arthur Flour Company Flour you get at the local higher priced grocery.

3. The shopping environment is that of any other place to shop. I personally have not seen any shoppers there who look like they have lost their last hope in life. Is must be required by law for everyone who mentions Walmart to also state that everyone who shops there is morbidly obese, has a cart full of nothing but junk food and has children who run amok without supervision.

I don't shop at Walmart often but I do go from time to time and I have never seen what you state you see so your broad generalizations about those who shop at Walmart are merely a theory that cannot be proven with absolute statistics and facts.

Also, aren't you lucky you can choose where to shop and can choose to stay out of Walmart and can choose to not complain about a place you stay out of?

Old 04-05-2014, 06:42 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
I stopped grocery shopping there a few years ago. It's inconvenient location wise, and I don't save any money compared to my grocery store that nets me cents off per gallon for gas.

I do like their paint department and the manager is nice. I always go there for paint.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
congrats op,

you as a human being with something called choice and free will have chosen to not shop at walmart

want a cookie? i got some "better value" brand keebler caramel coconut shortbread cookie copies in the kitchen for you
I don't understand what's up with people hating on other people who don't like Walmart. It reminds me of people on the internet verbally punching each other because they like Apple vs. Android. Some Walmart fans get pretty mean about other people disliking that store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Good for you for learning how to do it so that it IS "much less fuss". I often work the self checkouts and I can tell you that most of the problems people have with them is because of THEM. They just start punching buttons, etc. without reading what's on the screen and mess things up. They get mad every time I have to go give an 'age approval', or they put something down, pick it up, put it down again and I have to go 'fix' the scanner because it thinks the shopper bagged something without scanning it. Then there are the ones who don't read the signs that say CARDS ONLY...NO CASH BACK and try to put cash in and get mad that it's cards only. So many things can go 'wrong' I feel like I'm just running from one scanner to the next the whole time. I am always impressed when I watch people who are actually good at using the self checkout scanners but it's the kids that amaze me. They are good!
This is one of the reasons I dislike Walmart. Other stores are like this also, but Walmart is the worst offender. When did customers start thinking that it was their job to check themselves out in the first place? I don't agree, and it doesn't matter if I have 2 items or 200. I appreciate a little bit of service from my store at least. I am always polite and thank any employee who helps me. However, I am a customer making a company profit and customers are the reason every company exists. But Walmart, in its arrogance (and appararently AZ's as well) believes that it's the customer's job to find all their items themselves, check them out themselves, bag them up themselves, take them out to the car themselves, and put the cart back in the carrel themselves. No thanks. Because I get service (involving a human being) from my local HEB grocery, I spend my $500+/month on my groceries and other items there.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:57 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't understand what's up with people hating on other people who don't like Walmart.
Uh, it's probably because people are tired of people who hate Walmart simply for being successful. I'm sure you're aware of that. Then they run around insanely posting anything negative they can about Walmart in hopes that they can convince people not to shop there, fail, and become even more enraged and psychotic. What people have always said from the beginning is: if you don't like Walmart, don't shop there and quit bothering the rest of us. Nobody cares that you hate Walmart. Nobody wants to listen to your complaints about their self-checkout that amount to "I can't figure out how to work this thing, so I'll blame Walmart." You're just making yourself look silly.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:49 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
I'd rather shop at Kroger on my knees than shop at Walmart. Customer characteristics aside, the place sucks you into spending more than you intend to "and look how much you save". If I happen to find the grocery brand I need, they don't have any variety in that line. They push out whatever sells best and the second best seller never gets stocked, but that's what some of us prefer. I'm so glad we have an international farmer's market here that sells produce and meat SO low. No one can touch them for those items.

It's true that some manufacturers market certain lines to Home Depot, light bulbs, for instance. Are they different than ones in other places? Well, they're cheaper for a reason.

Grainger: Square D. As good as GE? No. Cheaper? Yes. Gets used more often. yup.

I'm willing to bet there are lines of merchandise like that at Walmart. I try to go with no artifical colors and flavors anyway so - that's what Walmart does best. Junk. Go put those nasty cookies in your body if you want to. When your internal organs fail later in life, don't complain.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:57 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Walmart is like almost any other store in the US. Most every single store is a Chinese importer. Target, Costco, Pier 1 and a host of other places are just importers. Walmart is no different than any store, it is just the big guy like McDonalds and the big guy gets all the bad press. I don't shop at Walmart much except for some work pants and maybe motor oil. I would NEVER buy food at any of these Chinese import places and that includes dog and cat food. NO WAY.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:22 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Uh, it's probably because people are tired of people who hate Walmart simply for being successful.
No. That's not the reason we don't like Walmart. The people who discuss not liking Walmart tell you exactly why we don't like this corporation. I have no problem with Exxon, Apple, Amazon, or the hundreds or other corporations that are enormously successful.

Quote:
Then they run around insanely posting anything negative they can about Walmart in hopes that they can convince people not to shop there, fail, and become even more enraged and psychotic.
I am not enraged. I suspect most other posters who dislike Walmart are not enraged either. We are simply having a discussion. It actually sounds like you are enraged. As for psychosis, are you aware of what psychosis is? Since I am a psychologist, I do, and I can tell you, merely having a negative opinion of a corporation is definitely not it.

Quote:
Nobody cares that you hate Walmart.Nobody wants to listen to your complaints about their self-checkout that amount to "I can't figure out how to work this thing, so I'll blame Walmart."
Apparently you do. After all, you read the title of this thread, therefore you were fully aware of what it was about. Then you posted about it twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics