Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:21 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
I don't care for Target at all... really. I do like some of the products they carry but I know way too much about the retail business for number one. ( More than is healthy) So, that's really all I am going to say. I do shop at Target once in awhile but if you think for one minute they can't be the same vindictive a*wholes as in other retail corporations.. you have another thing coming.
I'm not speaking of Target's management or the things that go on behind closed doors. Everything I like about Target over Walmart and Kmart is very superficial and can easily be seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 10:41 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I'm not speaking of Target's management or the things that go on behind closed doors. Everything I like about Target over Walmart and Kmart is very superficial and can easily be seen.
Is Target cutting staff as well? I noticed distinct Walmart like changes the past 6-12 months: fewer checkouts open, carts left everywhere in the parking lot, lack of available employees when I have a question, etc. . . I still like them pretty well, but the shopping experience is less pleasurable than before. I really love their decorating items: summer dishes and home accessories especially.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:03 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,448,976 times
Consider that Walmart sells more than Target, Kmart, Sears, Costco, combined.

Basic shopping for stuff, Walmart. Same product at Walmart vs the chain grocers saves about 20%. Not going to buy stuff at Macy's or Dillard's just for the tag. Wrangler jeans are Wrangler jeans. Same with a coffee pot, etc.

You are free to shop wherever you want. Me, I am going to save a buck when I can.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Walmart always seems to attract a very peculiar sub species of homo sapiens. One which I never notice anywhere else in the wild.
Interesting, 100 million (1/3 of the U.S. population) shops at Walmart every week - Wal-Mart Company Statistics | Statistic Brain On a monthly basis it's 60% of Americans who shop at Walmart - Walmart Corporate - Walmart Launches National Advertising Campaign to Show “The Real Walmart” over a year, it's about 93% of Americans who shop at Walmart The Wal-Mart Effect: How the World's Most Powerful Company Really Works ... - Charles Fishman - Google Books .

Do you get out much?

Is 93% of humanity in the United States strange by your definition?

Old 04-06-2014, 02:17 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
Interesting, 100 million (1/3 of the U.S. population) shops at Walmart every week - Wal-Mart Company Statistics | Statistic Brain On a monthly basis it's 60% of Americans who shop at Walmart - Walmart Corporate - Walmart Launches National Advertising Campaign to Show “The Real Walmart” over a year, it's about 93% of Americans who shop at Walmart The Wal-Mart Effect: How the World's Most Powerful Company Really Works ... - Charles Fishman - Google Books .

Do you get out much?

Is 93% of humanity in the United States strange by your definition?

People Of Walmart - Funny Pictures of People Shopping at Walmart

Old 04-06-2014, 02:32 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth
Walmart always seems to attract a very peculiar sub species of homo sapiens. One which I never notice anywhere else in the wild.
Walmarts are located in different areas of the population mix from very low income and minority areas of town, to high income areas of town. If located in poor area of town, then it is going to have poor people for customers and employees. If it located in the high income area, it is going to have a higher income customer base, and attract better educated people as employees.

Customer base and employees will depend on the location of the store. Your description of customers above, reflects the area you live in, and the customers it attracts. If you lived in a more upscale area, then the customer base would be considerably different.

A good example is St George Utah. One on the northern area along the freeway, is in solid middle class area for people living and shopping. The southern one is located along the freeway, in the real high end of town, and you see luxury cars in the parking lot.

Don't make general claims of what type of customers go to Walmart, as Walmart is in different areas to attract local customers. The area the store is located, will define who shops at that store, and the type of customers it attracts.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:51 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Don't make general claims of what type of customers go to Walmart, as Walmart is in different areas to attract local customers. The area the store is located, will define who shops at that store, and the type of customers it attracts.
I've visited more walmarts across the nation than most people.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:24 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,715 times
Quote:
That's what Democrats think of their constituency?

Quote:
I've visited more walmarts across the nation than most people.
Yeah, we know. We looked at your website.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:38 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
1. My time is worth more than my money. I don't like to deal with checkout lines, clueless customers and slow employees. Customers often don't have their method of payment ready and wait until the total is announced before starting to dig in their bag.

2. You get what you pay for. I will choose quality over quantity, always. Does it really save you money if you have to use twice as much of an off-brand detergent to wash a load of clothes? Or if the cheap quality clothing shrinks or falls apart and has to be replaced?

3. The shopping environment is depressing. Why do so many Walmart shoppers look like they have lost their last hope in life? Or are morbidly obese with carts full of junk food? And why do the kids of Walmart shoppers run, climb, shriek, scream and misbehave in general?

Unless you walk around with a T shirt that says "I don't shop at Walmart" why should anybody on this forum care?
Nobody knows your name and pretty sure nobody cares who you are but since you put it out there to see how many comments you can get I will give you a GOLD STAR for starting one of the least important threads in long time.

Congrats.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
In the end I doubt anyone cares why Op does not shop at Wal Mart and they are probably glad she/he is not taking up a parking space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics