Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:50 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,860,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Uh, it's probably because people are tired of people who hate Walmart simply for being successful. I'm sure you're aware of that. Then they run around insanely posting anything negative they can about Walmart in hopes that they can convince people not to shop there, fail, and become even more enraged and psychotic. What people have always said from the beginning is: if you don't like Walmart, don't shop there and quit bothering the rest of us. Nobody cares that you hate Walmart. Nobody wants to listen to your complaints about their self-checkout that amount to "I can't figure out how to work this thing, so I'll blame Walmart." You're just making yourself look silly.
I don't hate Walmart because it is successful. If other people like to shop there that is fine, I am glad that Walmart meets their needs.

I know how to use self-scan lanes. I use them frequently at other stores.

To me, Walmart is a depressing place to shop.

And while it is true that I could purchase name brand socks at Walmart, why would I want to? It I save a dollar on a package of socks it isn't worth the time I would spend in the store. Between parking far out in the lot to avoid the dozens of abandoned shopping carts and careless door-dinging shoppers, navigating the aisles full of misbehaving children, and waiting in a long, slow moving line I would spend much more time than worthwhile to save a dollar on a package of socks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 07:33 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I shop at Walmart; my wife doesn't. She has the usual quasi-political reasons, while I like the fact that many of the things I tend to eat are cheaper there. But I'm starting to have second thoughts. Like a lot of people, I've noticed empty shelves and slow checkout lines where I shop-- and when I can't get a third of my weekly items because they're simply not stocked, they're running close to losing my business. Then today at 10 am, they had one checker, and at least 10 people in line with full carts. No problem, I thought-- I'll just check myself out.

Local walmart has thirty checkout lanes.

I've seen a max of three open at a time.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:36 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,448,074 times
I don't care where anyone shops. It's their business, not mine.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:29 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
Hopefully, I will not regret this.
I stopped in KMart a few days ago, was in a rush on my way home from work. I needed a new weedeater. Since I had such bad luck with the only gas powered one I ever owned, I wanted to at least see what was available after 12 years of electrics.

I was in a hurry, the clerk behind the cash register came over and answered all my questions. He said that he did not own one, but he had never had or known of any returns on one. Sold me an extended warranty, told me exactly what to do if it breaks.

In the past, I never got that level of service at Walmart. And as such, I never would have purchased the item at Walmart because I never would have had anyone available to explain the quality and customer satisfaction to me. remember I was in a hurry.

Could be too because I was the only customer he had, as I waited for everyone else to leave before asking him. No block long line that is common at Walmart.
I usually do not shop KMart either, they do not have competitive prices for anything of quality. But at least they had no line this time.

In a certain town in Florida, they built what we call "The worlds worst walmart"
It was the reason we quit Walmart. Plain and simple, everywhere, all the time. Any problem that any Walmart store has, well this store has ALL of them under one roof. Rude employees, un-knowledgeable employees (Cannot fault Walmart for hiring the mentally ill and disabled). They have this one disgusting front end manager that has so many rolls of fat she can barely walk, and she smells like a 12 day resident in detox. Many of the employees lack teeth, (I am not kidding) and have such foul breath that I realized Walmart must not give discounts to employees for toothbrushes and mouthwash. The store reeks, especially near the meat section, has that smell of rotting meat, and the store has a very overall unkept appearance.
And Seriously, I do not say this to be rude, but I did not know that area had so many inbred people, but they all come out of the woodwork to shop at Walmart.
But worst of all is the Walmart management. Someone must be looking over this. And Those of us who have spoken with this manager see what the problem is. Complaints of a general lack of items on the shelves, cleanliness, rudeness and slowness of employees (I realize the one cannot move too fast) but any complaint is met with an excuse that comes across as "So what? I don't care"
If the Walmart corporation wants to run a store like this, and clearly many of the lower class individuals that shop there do not know the difference or care, then ok. But I do not want my money spent there as a vote that I condone or approve of such matters. And that is what shopping is, it i a vote, with YOUR dollars, that you approve of the item and price and conditions of what you buy . When you buy an item from a store like Walmart, you are saying "I want more of the same item, same condition, same price" That is the very nature of consumerism.
Persons like myself, the OP, have made a decision not to patronize this particular chain.
Rubi3 has it correct It is a personal choice, each person's own business

I simply like to explain WHY to any captive or willing audience.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:33 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
You get what you pay for....one way or another.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:54 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
The store reeks, especially near the meat section, has that smell of rotting meat, and the store has a very overall unkept appearance. .
One time I shopped at the Supercenter near my home they had a 10 pound roll of hamburger on an great sale. I was really excited. I purchased the hamburger, came home, and opened a spoiled, stinky ten pound roll. That was an olfactory experience I care not to repeat. So I returned it and decided not to buy any more meat there. The next time I went, I had to buy eggs. I passed by the meat department and noticed the pigs feet. There were pigs' feet in the package that were COVERED IN MOLD. We're talking the green and blue fuzzy stuff on edible items that some people like to eat. Oddly enough, there was a "sell by" date sticker stuck on top of another illegible "sell by" date sticker. I brought this issue to the attention of the store manager. He was surprisingly nonchalant. He apologized.

However, before I get jumped on by the defensive posters, I will say that the employees in the electronics department have always been nice and helpful when I have a question. Rude employees are definitely not a universal thing. I told the management one time about a particularly helpful employee in that department and how grateful I was for her assistance. He seemed very pleased to hear that.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:01 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,078,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I was shopping there less because of this but recently our local WalMart installed self service check out lanes which I have learn to use pretty well and the checkout process goes much quicker. In and out with much less fuss.
Until you have to buy cough syrup... then you have to wait and wait for one of those supervisors to put in the code to tell the machine I was old enough to buy it. I only made that mistake once.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:02 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
However, before I get jumped on by the defensive posters
As I said, I think it's fine that you don't want to shop at Wal-Mart, nor do people have to "balance" bad views with good ones (I find that idea laughable in anything, including politics). I certainly don't find WalMart to be the height of shopping experience, nor do I think that anyone has ever expressed that. My only point was that you can tell that some people's negative remarks are clearly politically based in a hatred of WalMart and if anyone is being honest, they'll admit that they recognize that.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:04 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,715 times
By the way, one of the most interesting things is that the people who politically hate WalMart on the left express a disdain for the "trash" who shop there from the lower class and turn their noses up at having to mingle with them. That tells you all you need to know. They're fine with throwing some meat to the dogs in the form of tax money from others in order to get their votes, but for the rest of the year, they're like "ewwww, I think that vermin touched me!"

Old 04-06-2014, 09:08 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
1. Amazon.com
2. Parking lot too full
3. Store too spread out
4. Amazon.com
5. We have fantastic grocery stores for quality fresh organic produce, etc, so don't have to resort to Walmart
6. Amazon.com

There are no freaks at the Walmart here (from the couple of times I have gone to grab something)...but this is the experimental fancy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics