Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2014, 09:31 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
So, what are YOU going to do to get YOURSELF into a position where YOU can become a homeowner?

I was not born a homeowner. I became one on purpose. That is generally how it happens.

I'd first have to get out of this dysfunctional living situation with a resident drunk, but I don't know how to do that if I can't sell my $10K inventory. Catcha-22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 09:34 AM

921 posts, read 1,131,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
It is interesting you brought up this discussion during the biggest holiday shopping season of the year. How many people will spend more then they can afford on gifts during the holidays?
Plenty of folks in the US always spend more than what they can afford. That's why there's so much credit card debt. Around this time of the year, most retail stores create what I call "predatory credit" options when they just throw out easy credit to just about anyone around the holidays. Due to this, most folks don't finish paying off their Christmas debt until up to a year later.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:36 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,634,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Being able to even be in a position that a rent/buy analysis is worthwhile is a luxury most renters do not have; even if the data screamed that I should buy I would not be in a position to buy.
Correct. And until you do something about your low income, this will continue to be true.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
There is nothing unfair about being unable to buy a home you cannot afford.

Yet again, if homeownership is your goal, get yourself in a position to become a homeowner.

??????????

If I cannot afford a 3BR 1200 sq ft house on 8000 sq ft land (X), I can afford a 1BR 600 sq ft house on 4000 sq ft land (0.5X) and 0.5X is not legal to sell, there is nothing unfair or unfree about that?

Note that your premise is false. I'm referring to a home I can afford.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Education is financially not an option. I have a skill selling online in a niche category but my $10K inventory is in a storage unit and I can't sell from home due to a dysfunctional living situation and a resident drunk.
So move. Find a different room to rent. Just step over the blade of grass.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:42 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:

I'm not forcing anyone to sell or to not sell anything! If a property owner WANTS to split their lot and sell the guest house, I'm okay with that it should be their call (of which you apparently disapprove!). The single family home will still prevail. Property owners and buyers would have more options but there will be no wholesale changes.
So if an owner WANTS to put in an airport, they should be able to?

Zoning exists for a reason. And you conveniently missed the point. If you want a tiny lot, you need to move to where they are zoned for that.

Quote:
I'd first have to get out of this dysfunctional living situation with a resident drunk, but I don't know how to do that if I can't sell my $10K inventory. Catcha-22.
You don't know how? Here is how: look on Craig's List for a room to rent. Look in your local newspaper. Call about them. Go to see them. Decide which one is the most appealing. Rent the room. Stop living in your current place and start living in the new place.

Quote:
Correct. And until you do something about your low income, this will continue to be true.

I'm trying to expand property rights and thereby expand the options available to property owners and to renters. Funny how a lot of people say they support property rights while denying property rights to others.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:43 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Apartment Rents Are Rising Steadily and Quickly - WSJ

It may not be more expensive from a value point of view but in reality rent becomes less attainable in the case of a person with a stagnant wage that does not keep up with inflation.
Well, that would be the person's problem. If you are satisfied with a stagnant wage, you have to deal with inflation. If you aren't satisfied, then you need to do something about it.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
You don't know how? Here is how: look on Craig's List for a room to rent. Look in your local newspaper. Call about them. Go to see them. Decide which one is the most appealing. Rent the room. Stop living in your current place and start living in the new place.

Holy effing crap. I know how to look on Craigslist, that's how I got into the last two rooms.

You cannot rent the room unless you tender a pile of cash up front. (Certainly hundreds of dollars, perhaps $1000 or more.) THAT is the problem. I'm paying so much rent now that I'm not in a position to save up the move-in costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics