Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:16 AM

93 posts, read 65,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Well, no.

In your latest round of foaming at the mouth fist shaking you made the claim that the government cooks the books on unemployment numbers, specifically that civil servants manufacture numbers as propaganda. When asked to provide proof you've done nothing but ignore or attempt diversion, so we're still not clear on how you know the books are cooked other than because you say so.

So I again invite you to show us some evidence of this great conspiracy at BLS, something more substantial than angry bitter guy on the internet forum saying so.
I can just imagine him shaking his fist at the computer while trying to keep his tin foil hat from falling off.

His original post may have had a point, but his ensuing posts have deteriorated in to conspirital nonsense. Great job calling him out on it. There's different ways of interpreting data. Just because it doesn't fit your agenda or point of view doesn't mean it's made up or fabricated out of thin air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 10:18 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
you are just seeing the views from someone who truly believes his own bull-sh*t and the fact that his way is not only the correct view but the only view .

you can 't argue or reason wwith someone like that , they will always be right in their mind . it is like dealing with a cult and they close their mind to being educated by the other side .

Old 01-12-2016, 10:18 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpsdm View Post
I can just imagine him shaking his fist at the computer while trying to keep his tin foil hat from falling off.

His original post may have had a point, but his ensuing posts have deteriorated in to conspirital nonsense. Great job calling him out on it. There's different ways of interpreting data. Just because it doesn't fit your agenda or point of view doesn't mean it's made up or fabricated out of thin air.
Right. There are all kinds of ways to interpret data.

And there are all kinds of ways to make up days.

And D.C. Inc. knows them all.

Whoops, just busted the screen. Lol.

You guys are a scream.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:32 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
What about all the bottom of the barrel folks out of work who inflate the numbers and are pretty much unemployable.

Can't pass a drug test

Can't pass a background check

Can' pass a credit check

Can't do even simple math to pass a basic employment test?

What about those who are unemployed because their work skills are poor.

I CAN TELL YOU BEFORE I RETIRED WE WERE SEEING MORE UNEMPLOYABLE FOLKS THEN EMPLOYABLE ONES COMING IN . there are so many unemployed who are just not employable and there are jobs they could have had .
A 5% unemployment rate has always been considered full employment. That takes into account the people who couldn't hold a job if their life depended on it, usually because of mental defect or substance addiction.

When I was a kid we used to run a bus into town to pick up winos for a day's field work. By 2 PM a bunch of them would have the shakes and keeping them working was a challenge, so we called it a day at 3, bused them back to town, paid them in cash and then went back to work to finish out the day.

Farmers have shifted to crops that can be machine harvested, so I suppose those winos are "discouraged" now. Once upon a time they might have been part of the work force, but not any more. Nobody is interested in getting a day's work out of a Skid Road bum by keeping him away from the bottle any more.

I know there were just as many female alcoholics, but have no idea what they did to survive. They were invisible. They still are.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:53 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I know there were just as many female alcoholics, but have no idea what they did to survive. They were invisible. They still are.
The oldest profession, mostly.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:17 PM

with the nursing homes 80% women and i still have 2 good hips maybe i can take on that profession .

Old 01-12-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
A 5% unemployment rate has always been considered full employment. That takes into account the people who couldn't hold a job if their life depended on it, usually because of mental defect or substance addiction.

When I was a kid we used to run a bus into town to pick up winos for a day's field work. By 2 PM a bunch of them would have the shakes and keeping them working was a challenge, so we called it a day at 3, bused them back to town, paid them in cash and then went back to work to finish out the day.

Farmers have shifted to crops that can be machine harvested, so I suppose those winos are "discouraged" now. Once upon a time they might have been part of the work force, but not any more. Nobody is interested in getting a day's work out of a Skid Road bum by keeping him away from the bottle any more.

decades ago there were few background checks ,drug testing and all sorts of available information easily available was not out there . today there is no question more folks are un-employable .

based on how we used to do things these folks may have been employed today if things were different . in these parts help wanted signs are everywhere .

our industry has bidding wars going on stealing employees from competitors . those experienced people in our industry who are unemployed are the mediocre employees no one wants .

perhaps unemployment is better then we think and the numbers are heavily skewed with those unemployable .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-12-2016 at 01:56 PM..

Old 01-12-2016, 04:01 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The oldest profession, mostly.
The young ones maybe, but alcohol takes a toll on appearance. An addict has very few years to make a living on her back. The men were only in their 40s and 50s, but looked years older, and mostly smelled bad.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:59 PM

209 posts, read 257,642 times
Quote:
there are more important things folks should be learning and doing instead of wondering why mary the druggy or lazy jim are not working .

They are excluding Medical Marijuana users, too!

Its more important to them to have a 'clean' worker that has strokes and seizures

than to hire a 'pot head' !

Old 01-12-2016, 06:47 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Quote:

decades ago there were few background checks ,drug testing and all sorts of available information easily available was not out there . today there is no question more folks are un-employable .

based on how we used to do things these folks may have been employed today if things were different . in these parts help wanted signs are everywhere .

our industry has bidding wars going on stealing employees from competitors . those experienced people in our industry who are unemployed are the mediocre employees no one wants .

perhaps unemployment is better then we think and the numbers are heavily skewed with those unemployable .
Not sure if it's cooking the books but years ago many of those would be institutionalized. Now they couldn't get hired and if they did, couldn't do the job. Yet they are considered part of the labor force!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics