Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 11:13 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
IMO: High cost f housing and rents a result of supply and demand due to manipulation by banks and government. Do you agree or disagree- and why?
Disagree. It is due to...
supply and demand
type and location of supply
geographic origin of demand
Financing of that demand
Role of families
tight local regulations on building housing and its housing
historically high immigration and from where

manipulation? No need to go conspiracy when fairly generic reasons are driving things forward.

S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 04:48 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The outliers are those who have initiative.
The outliers in this case are those who do not migrate into a different full-time profession. Table service is a difficult art for many to master, but the economics and physical challenges of it tend to drive even those who are good at it off into other pursuits.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:21 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
IMO: High cost f housing and rents a result of supply and demand due to manipulation by banks and government. Do you agree or disagree- and why?
To a significant degree but the schools do not teach financial management and we get consumer brainwashing. So we have spent decades throwing money away on crap when most Americans might have home paid for by now.

Economic Wargames

Old 08-05-2017, 09:47 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
To a significant degree but the schools do not teach financial management and we get consumer brainwashing. So we have spent decades throwing money away on crap when most Americans might have home paid for by now.

Economic Wargames
I have been the target of some serious hostility for suggesting that people would be better off if they quit pissing their money away. They have endless rationalizations for their lack of fiscal discipline. The idea that they have been brainwashed into irrational behavior is totally unacceptable.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:00 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
The outliers in this case are those who do not migrate into a different full-time profession. Table service is a difficult art for many to master, but the economics and physical challenges of it tend to drive even those who are good at it off into other pursuits.
Once again, you didn't bother to read the link I left. Dorothy Ainsworth was a small town waitress who built a fabulous country estate using small town coffee shop tips and a lot of initiative. When her first house burned down right before completion, she did it again, better the second time. The job you have is not what is holding you back.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:16 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Of course it's legal. It's just really unfair to newcomers.
What's really unfair to newcomers is they don't build enough housing in the first place--which has been going on for 40 years now. Even the New York Times is saying it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/u...ng-crisis.html

Old 08-05-2017, 10:17 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Her home burned down. The neighbors raised money and chipped in labor and expertise to build a better home. I remember reading about it. She obviously earned a lot of respect for her first attempt.

In some markets, bulk buyers represent a large presence per a study by the feds.

meet your new landlord - wall street

Last edited by lchoro; 08-05-2017 at 10:26 PM..

Old 08-05-2017, 10:27 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
What's really unfair to newcomers is they don't build enough housing in the first place--which has been going on for 40 years now. Even the New York Times is saying it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/u...ng-crisis.html

Zoning exists for the benefit of incumbent homeowners, without regard for all non-incumbents. So zoning was never intended to benefit renters or newcomers.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Her home burned down. The neighbors raised money and chipped in labor and expertise to build a better home. I remember reading about it. She obviously earned a lot of respect for her first attempt.

In some markets, bulk buyers represent a large presence per a study by the feds.

meet your new landlord - wall street

Try doing THAT when you rent.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:05 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Renters Insurance is your friend... sure came through for my friends in spades... paid for emergency shelter and replaced what they lost... he keeps meticulous records and they were newly weds... so lots of new things and the wedding registry was invaluable.

I agree with Larry and Old Trader because I see people start out behind the eight ball... don't speak the language, come here with nothing more than a dream and make it...

Most start a small business... many in the trades... tile setter, landscaper... some open small takeout restaurants... the thing is how do they succeed when those far better off and born here don't?

The answer is they have a fire in their belly and willing to put in the 80 hours to get going for a payoff years down the road.

It could simply be expectations and unwillingness to do what is necessary... the military provided excellent benefits... buy the least expensive house on the MLS and make it yours... buy a duplex or triplex and live in the smallest unit...

After buying the least expensive single family home (Cottage) I bought a duplex... 3 bedroom house with a small cottage in back... moved into the cottage.

While my renters were driving new cars... even those on Section 8 I drove the same $800 Plymouth for 20+ years... imagine driving an $800 car for 20 years... all I can say is I saved a bundle and only once did it quit... timing chain which $40 on parts and a morning of my time cured... AAA towed me home.

It is ironic that just a few years ago the news stories were about the glut of housing left abandoned in the wake of the meltdown... what a difference 5 years makes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics