Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 05:42 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,016,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Once again, you didn't bother to read the link I left. Dorothy Ainsworth was a small town waitress who built a fabulous country estate using small town coffee shop tips and a lot of initiative. When her first house burned down right before completion, she did it again, better the second time. The job you have is not what is holding you back.
Outliers simply do not change the fact that in the big picture, the economics and physical challenges of waiting tables tend to drive even those who are good at it off into other pursuits.

Meanwhile, one has no right at all to live in whatever community one pleases, and zoning restrictions are put in place to protect the interests of an entire community. The pleadings here of the Gang of Me-Me-Me are both unreasonable and selfishly deplorable.

Last edited by Pub-911; 08-06-2017 at 06:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 03:00 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,701 times
Quote:
I have been the target of some serious hostility for suggesting that people would be better off if they quit pissing their money away. They have endless rationalizations for their lack of fiscal discipline. The idea that they have been brainwashed into irrational behavior is totally unacceptable.
ROFL

When I first posted Economic Wargames under the name Dal Timgar I had someone following me around on the Internet calling himself Timgar Posse telling people I was stupid.

Quote:
Timgar Posse
Could Timgar be more wrong?

June 6 2004, 1:38 AM
Where is the world according to Dal Timgar? Is it in a cave dreaming of stars or is it stuck in an economy where only the basics are provided. Either way, Timgar ideas are incorrect, and should be little more concern than the wind of fate. Timgar would like you to think that the Companies are ripping you off. Yea Timgar wants to be a Marxist's but without the work or mental thought. Unlike the Markist theroy, Timgar's idea are based on using terms from other things, thoughts or discplines to expalin what they are not used to define. Example would be using Pig-latin to explain a point in math, to demonstrate that you are an expert in Russian thought. Yes it is that crazy. But the idea that he is pushing requires more thought by the reader to determine the path than did Timgar think about writing it.

Marxist (Communist) Discussion Forum / MCDF: A brief explanation of capitalist exploitation, #2

Technology changed the economic possibilities since 1900. The Model T and the imitation of Ford's production techniques made traditional Capitalism and Communism obsolete but ideologies did not keep up.

So it is very curious that mandatory accounting doesn't get suggested by any ideological advocates.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:38 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Quote:
I have been the target of some serious hostility for suggesting that people would be better off if they quit pissing their money away. They have endless rationalizations for their lack of fiscal discipline. The idea that they have been brainwashed into irrational behavior is totally unacceptable.
The fact remains that better behavior won't solve the problem, if the problem is increasing real COL for those in the bottom half of the socio-economic scale.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
The fact remains that better behavior won't solve the problem, if the problem is increasing real COL for those in the bottom half of the socio-economic scale.
Our concepts of land ownership come from European culture. How much land is controlled by the government, and how much money is spent on the military. It would not really take much reallocation of resources to produce good cheap housing for Americans.

But would bankers and landlords want such a thing done? So to what degree is the government involved in maintaining this situation. We are supposed to believe in "The Market" rather than that it is manipulated against us.

If most of us do not even understand accounting then how can we discuss it and accomplish anything?

Old 08-06-2017, 05:47 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
It would not really take much reallocation of resources to produce good cheap housing for Americans.
Sure.. start building houses in Central Park (and other city green places).
That's where the demand for housing is afterall.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
If most of us do not even understand accounting then how can we discuss it and accomplish anything?
Accounting won't solve anything. Frankly I'm not worried about the lack of or cost of housing. It's perfectly normal for supply and demand to cause skyrocketing rents in desirable areas. The housing and labor markets *will* solve this naturally. The solution will not however result in everyone being able to afford to live there. Many will have to....:

MOVE!

If there weren't affordable places all over the country, then there'd be a legit reason to complain. But it isn't bad at all if you get out of the fashionable cities.

The important issue is growing income and wealth disparity. A group that is able to live off investments, owns most of everything, has considerable political pull, etc. While people who have to work for a living get a smaller piece of the pie. Fix that and let rents take care of themselves.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
There is lots more to the US than NY city.

What is curious is that a system that was originally designed to solve housing problems through modular construction got diverted into being housing for the wealthy.

https://www.mtlblog.com/lifestyle/wh...als-habitat-67

Habitat - Home is a Concrete Box

Quote:
Safdie's goal for the project to be affordable housing largely failed: demand for the building's units has made them more expensive than originally envisioned
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habita...ept_and_design

That is because more of them were not built. If they were common then the wealthy would not have the status of owning them. High quality inexpensive housing would mess with all of the social status games.

psik

Old 08-06-2017, 06:32 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
It could just be people expect more and are not willing to accept less.

One can almost always rent in a better area than it would cost to buy.

Only go back 7 years and an entire segment of the population loudly declared it was done with owning and thirty year mortgages...

My own take is people are more short sighted than ever...

I posted pictures of my first "House" here and many simply did not believe it and my own family thought I had just flushed my life savings... so I had more than enough incentive to prove everyone wrong.

In 2012 I posted over 100 homes on the Oakland MLS advertised under 150k...

Old 08-06-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
That is because more of them were not built.
That isn't how it works. Everything in a desirable area will be expensive. Quit following the herd and live somewhere else.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Housing on Central Park West costs an two arms and a leg; can you imagine what inside-the-park housing could cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics