Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 06:28 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times

Advertisements

It's called inflation, even though it "officially" is only 1-2%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 06:45 PM

153 posts, read 138,031 times
You are so right about poor quality goods. I have found, too, that businesses are skimping on one or more components of products comprised of multiple parts. Just for the sake of example: Cups and lids. The cup is okay, but the lid fits poorly. I could go on and on. Penny-wise, pound foolish.

Also, I won't even get started on the effect GMOs have had on natural fibers such as cotton. Has anyone noticed that cotton-containing clothing, socks, towels, etc. are defective in many instances? Socks, for instance, start unraveling or shredding; other items made with cotton begin to "shed" particles, for lack of a better way to describe it. I'll leave it at that since this topic (cotton fibers, GMOs, etc.) probably belongs in another forum.

Last edited by StayingAfterSunday; 09-15-2017 at 06:55 PM..

Old 09-15-2017, 06:58 PM

1,257 posts, read 888,244 times
I understand inflation. I don't understand the concept of throwing good money away on garbage and inferior quality. I'm not talking about buying cheap things. I'm talking about buying fairly expensive things that simply don't last.

Watch batteries last a mere 6 months and cost at least $10 at my jeweler. They used to last forever.
Regular batteries don't last long anymore.
Perfume is so cheaply made and watered down, reformulated ... but still expensive.
Good quality bras cost me $75 and up.
Magazine subscriptions are still expensive, but they are much thinner.
Christmas lights last one season, they used to last forever.

I could go on and on ........

Old 09-15-2017, 07:20 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
I understand inflation. I don't understand the concept of throwing good money away on garbage and inferior quality. I'm not talking about buying cheap things. I'm talking about buying fairly expensive things that simply don't last.

Watch batteries last a mere 6 months and cost at least $10 at my jeweler. They used to last forever.
Regular batteries don't last long anymore.
Perfume is so cheaply made and watered down, reformulated ... but still expensive.
Good quality bras cost me $75 and up.
Magazine subscriptions are still expensive, but they are much thinner.
Christmas lights last one season, they used to last forever.

I could go on and on ........
Watch Batteries are interesting. People replace them at those jewellery shops run by immigrants (India,Pakistan,Bangladesh) in Shopping Malls. Those Chinese batteries are barely 25 cents each-they charge more as labor charges. They will charge less if I speak in Hindi with them. Same watch battery replacements cost barely 40 cents in other countries.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Watch Batteries are interesting. People replace them at those jewellery shops run by immigrants (India,Pakistan,Bangladesh) in Shopping Malls. Those Chinese batteries are barely 25 cents each-they charge more as labor charges. They will charge less if I speak in Hindi with them. Same watch battery replacements cost barely 40 cents in other countries.
This is at our local jeweler here in town - American owners. My watches are expensive and require a special tool to open. For $10 I would at least like the battery to last a year. Nope.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
I think things are much better in quality.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I think things are much better in quality.
You do? Please share your stores of choice, brands, etc. I need to know your secret, I'm so sick of throwing good money at bad quality.

Continuing with my list ...

In just 7 years:
We've had stained TREATED lumber rot ... numerous times, having to replace boards within a short time.

An expensive grill completely rusted out in 2 years (we live on the coast, salt air)

Expensive stainless steel refrigerator developed rust spots within 6 months of purchase. Turns out it's common, as they now use much lower quality stainless steel, lower levels of nickel and chromium ... but still charge thousands of dollars. (I won't buy stainless again for this reason)

Stainless bath fixtures rusting.

John Deere lawn tractor breaks all the time, constant maintenance. It's not old.

Many shirts are so thin you can see through them.

Dyson vacuum lasted 3 years, 2 other vacuums lasted less than that

And are iPhones preprogrammed to start glitching when a new one is released? Cause those things .....

In case anyone is taking notes on this thread, here is a list of my purchases that I found to be very good quality, have lasted years, that I'm happy with and would recommend:

Lane furniture
Broyhill furniture
Clarks shoes - try first, some quality is lacking today
Toms shoes
Converse shoes
Vans shoes
Ralph Lauren sheets
Pottery Barn sheets
Pottery Barn down feather pillows
Coach bags - no fakes, obviously
Bebe Bags
L.L. Bean Boat & Tote
Anne Klein Tweed Coat
Ann Taylor clothing
Chico's
Coldwater Creek
Some Worthington
St. John's Bay Pea Coat - I've had it for about 13 years
Chanel makeup and skincare
Some JCrew products
Michael Kors watch
Cluse watch
Kate Spade bags and accessories
Wacoal undergarments
Dillard's fragrances - Chanel line, Thierry Mugler Angel, Clinique Aromatics Elixir, Dior Hypnotic Poison, Gucci Rush, Escada Magnetism
Under Armor products
Waterpik products
Rowenta focus iron
Tree Hut Shea Sugar Scrub
Shea Mountain products
Burts Bees products
Yes to Carrots, Yes to Grapefruit, etc
KitchenAid Stand Mixer
Cuisinart Pans
We are very satisfied with our vehicles: GMC Yukon XL, Lexus ES 350

I hope that list helps some people who are as frustrated as I am! So I'm on the hunt for good quality, well made, long lasting bath towels at a reasonable price point, likewise kitchen towels and dishcloths that don't fall apart, good sheets, good kitchen knives. Always on the hunt for good shoes, clothes, jeans that aren't skin tight ... there is so much junk out there today. If you have any recommendations, pass them on ... thanks!

Last edited by SouthernProper; 09-15-2017 at 09:10 PM..

Old 09-15-2017, 08:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
People get the quality of goods they're willing (or able) to pay for.

Similar applies to the quality of education their kids get...
and most every other consumer choice.
That's right, in some cases. We buy TP, sheets and towels at Costco, not Walmart, but Gas grills have become disposable. We had one that cost $600 in the late 90s that lasted 8 years, nothing like it available that I have found, so I just get the $199 Chinese model and replace in 2-3 years. The biggest change in quality is appliances, we had washers, dryers, stoves, fridges, and dishwashers last 20 years in the 70s and 80s. Now 3-4 years and you get a problem that costs $400 or more on all of them. Doesn't seem to matter the brand or how much you pay.

Why? My theory is that we used to have factories in the USA where the workers took pride and there was local oversight of the work by management. They made what was considered good money then. Now US companies and distributors spec out the design, and send it over to China to be manufactured, by people making very little money and don't have any idea where the item is going, or care. Costco, and a few other places seem to be very careful about the quality ofwhat they sell, even if it still comes from China.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:37 PM

981 posts, read 899,315 times
Quote:
Cost per use is a good way to break it down. I've been married 24 years and have never had towels (even good quality) last more than probably 7 years before fraying terribly. Yet we had the same towels all through my childhood (18 years) living at home. It sure seems like things just aren't being made as well. I grew up on Charmin TP, which has smaller rolls and is one of the costliest now. Paper plates are ridiculously thin. Aluminum foil is so expensive! Cheese is crazy.

Please share more examples of things that are better today, I'm truly curious!
NONE are better, your post is spot on. The model now is "fast" everything meaning it is designed to only last a very short period of time. (cotton sweaters and tees are now like paper, losing their shape and pilling after only several wears). This now applies to even furniture. I know these companies say the cost is now so much lower , but the quality has degraded to a point where things have to be replaced so frequently it costs the consumer so much more. Even in cars now the quality of the cushions and leather is such crap even in "luxury". I wish I had the time to complain and insist on a refund for every piece of crap merchandise (which means every thing I have purchased) I have bought in the past year but it would be a full time job.

Last edited by klaucka; 09-15-2017 at 09:23 PM..

Old 09-15-2017, 08:39 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
You do? Please share your stores of choice, brands, etc. I need to know your secret, I'm so sick of throwing good money at bad quality.

Continuing with my list ...

In just 7 years:
We've had stained TREATED lumber rot ... numerous times, having to replace boards within a short time.

An expensive grill completely rusted out in 2 years (we live on the coast, salt air)

Expensive stainless steel refrigerator developed rust spots within 6 months of purchase. Turns out it's common, as they now use much lower quality stainless steel, lower levels of nickel and chromium ... but still charge thousands of dollars.

Stainless bath fixtures rusting.

John Deere lawn tractor breaks all the time, constant maintenance. It's not old.

Many shirts are so thin you can see through them.

And are iPhones preprogrammed to start glitching when a new one is released? Cause those things .....

I'm sure I'll think of more........
There are a lot of different reasons for what you're describing, all of which are true to some degree.

1. It's cheaper to build something lower quality and price is a huge driver.
2. Repair is prohibitively expensive, so it usually makes sense to repair rather than replace. This is now part of the design.
3. Technology moves forward so quickly that it's often desirable to have goods that need to be replaced frequently. Things like phones become obsolete before they break.
4. Machines have become more complex to achieve a variety of important performance objectives. If you've ever engineered something or driven a German car, you know complexity and reliability are usually at odds.
5. There's a definite selection bias. Lots of stuff is more reliable than it was in the past. Modern cars are expected to get to 100000 and even 200000 for the right brands. That used to be a big accomplishment. Not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics