Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 11:33 AM

5,817 posts, read 3,245,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Lol...let's not pretend that Heritage isn't an ultra-biased think-tank....
Absolutely. They are one of the organizations funded by the Koch brothers.

Heritage says it. Fox News reports it. You decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 11:38 AM

5,817 posts, read 3,245,307 times
We are at full employment. 5 to 6% growth might be inflationary if the wealthy powers that be don't start packing planes from Bangalore again to depress wages.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:26 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,603,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
But auto loan delinquencies were only at this level recently in like 08 I believe--
So while people with more income can often afford to buy cars outright or maybe prefer to lease car it just seems a little bit of a red flag...
Right but there could be other factors at play, like current interest rates being much lower allowing more people to jump into cars than in previous generations and a drop in lending standards.

Either way I think it's a big simplistic to frame it as an indicator that an economy isn't healthy, why not ask yourself why there are more defaults right now? If it is because people don't have work that would be reflected in jobs data, if it's inflation it would be in CPI, if people just couldn't pay their bills then overall credit card defaults would probably be troubling as well.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:31 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,259,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Absolutely. They are one of the organizations funded by the Koch brothers.

Heritage says it. Fox News reports it. You decide.
this is called "the echo chamber" and it has been very effective for certain segments of the voting public

Old 11-23-2017, 07:17 PM

37,313 posts, read 59,977,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Right but there could be other factors at play, like current interest rates being much lower allowing more people to jump into cars than in previous generations and a drop in lending standards.

Either way I think it's a big simplistic to frame it as an indicator that an economy isn't healthy, why not ask yourself why there are more defaults right now? If it is because people don't have work that would be reflected in jobs data, if it's inflation it would be in CPI, if people just couldn't pay their bills then overall credit card defaults would probably be troubling as well.
Yes--I see your point
Any way to tell where in US those auto loan defaults are coming from?
Maybe it is just result of people who are in contention with their insurance companies over claims from hurricanes or other flooding events--
There has been lot of bad weather events in certain parts of the country resulting in flooding and fires with good deal of property damage

Old 11-23-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
i have my doubts the tax changes would do anything but make company officer's offshore bank accounts larger.

-companies already use creative tax saving strategies
-smaller companies either under report or run all cash businesses
-extra money is used to repurchase stock, pay higher bonuses and almost never increase minimum wages
-with manufacturing offshore, any stimulus to inventory creation only helps other countries

I am a demand side economist. Supply side economics (trickle down) has been proven many times over to have no effect on the economy.
I agree with you---trickle down just goes in a wealthy man's pocket vs the economy at large..

Read article today that said many small businesses won't be able to get much of a break from this bill as bigger companies will--and people who are passive owners in small business--who basically only collects profit--will be hit harder because considered more of an investor...

Old 11-23-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I'm a tax attorney and for years have been pro-tax reform, but I'm not sold on this incarnation. It just adds WAY too much to the federal deficit, and I don't believe that the "dynamic scoring" is going to come to fruition. The end result is that we'll need to borrow another 1.5 trillion, and for what?

Some of the provisions are pro-business, I'll give them that. But without spending cuts, how can any entity (whether it be government, business, or even a family budget) voluntarily reduce its income? I hate taxes just as much as the next guy, but you solve that issue by addressing the SPENDING, not the taxing.

Taxes should flow from spending, and not the other way around. Want to cut taxes? Cut spending. And stop borrowing for routine annual budgets.
Borrowing cheap debt to buy back stock and raise share price--
That's how you earn that big bonus...

Old 11-23-2017, 07:24 PM

42,870 posts, read 26,392,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

Here's a Bloomberg article about the auto loan default rate:

New U.S. Subprime Boom, Same Old Sins: Auto Defaults Are Soaring

It’s classic subprime: hasty loans, rapid defaults, and, at times, outright fraud.
Only this isn’t the U.S. housing market circa 2007. It’s the U.S. auto industry circa 2017.
A decade after the mortgage debacle, the financial industry has embraced another type of subprime debt: auto loans. And, like last time, the risks are spreading as they’re bundled into securities for investors worldwide. Subprime car loans have been around for ages, and no one is suggesting they’ll unleash the next crisis. But since the Great Recession, business has exploded. In 2009, $2.5 billion of new subprime auto bonds were sold. In 2016, $26 billion were, topping average pre-crisis levels, according to Wells Fargo & Co.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:36 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,747,607 times
Economic growth is one thing. How the benefits of that growth are distributed is something else. But, in the main, there is no empirical evidence to show that large tax cuts in low tax countries, like the US, greatly stimulate economic growth. What they do is to increase the net incomes of the tax payers in the highest bracket.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:59 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,538,865 times
Think tax cuts will translate into corporate capital and more jobs?? Let's ask a room full of CEOs directly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nykjYt4MG6s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics