Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 09:33 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Wow...what an answer, this falls right into the category of C-D responses as "well if you care about the homeless, how many have you invited to live in your home?"
Yeah that was a pretty ridiculous answer they gave. A lot of privileged people post here who are fortunate who do not understand struggling nor have any empathy for those who are not as fortunate as them. Their attitude is that they made it why can't you,,,, just hypocrites. that's the problem with Make America Hate Again.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:36 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I understand that and it's a great idea for retirees or people who can actually find a job that pays enough to buy any house, but that's certainly not always the case, is it? Because if it were I think most of those houses would be sold the minute they go on the market.
Retirees also have to worry a lot about nearby medical facilities, particularly those that will accept Medicare.

Places with very low costs of living also tend to be places with less available health care and less acceptability of Medicare.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Ah, the empathy card rears its head again.
ah yes, the empathy card.. you know just one of those things that made this nation great. But it will be so much better when we discard nonsense like that and realize that dog eat dog is the way to go

Old 06-18-2018, 09:48 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Yeah that was a pretty ridiculous answer they gave. A lot of privileged people post here who are fortunate who do not understand struggling nor have any empathy for those who are not as fortunate as them. Their attitude is that they made it why can't you,,,, just hypocrites. that's the problem with Make America Hate Again.
And a lot of posters, myself included, were not fortunate and did struggle. How? By the mocked "bootstrap" method: hard work, smart decision, and frugal living.

So yea, I have every right to say "I made it, why can't you". Because I have.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:14 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Retirees also have to worry a lot about nearby medical facilities, particularly those that will accept Medicare.

Places with very low costs of living also tend to be places with less available health care and less acceptability of Medicare.
Not true for the home we have for sale in the midwest or the low COL area in the south where we live now.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:22 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Maybe comparably but it is actually a big problem in Phoenix. The rent is rising beyond the minimum wage increases due to perceived demand. I explained that and yet you double downed... Here is a suggestion, do some research the next time you post because you are wrong and yet you keep digging yourself deeper in this. FYI, there has been a thread about this on City-Data. http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...emic-what.html
I’m wrong that Phoenix is more affordable for low wage /low skill workers versus L.A?

The average apartment rent in L.A is now $2251 a month

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-ren...a/los-angeles/

Meanwhile in Phoenix,Az it’s .. $955

You are really going to argue that Phoenix isn’t more affordable than L.A?

There isn’t that big a discrepancy between pay for low was workers to pay up that big different in rent .
Plus gas is more and many other things .

Old 06-18-2018, 10:39 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
It certainly is reasonable for you to raise this issue with your city & county & state economic development departments. What are they doing to attract higher value-add companies?
They don't want to, that is a problem here.

They have the "not in my back yard" attitude.

Once out major manufacturing left, only minimum wage service jobs were left.

Coupled with employers nation wide not caring about their employees enough to want to provide benefits, it's a problem.

Why are we still here? We consider it out duty to look after our 83 and 90 year old father's, who lived here, benefiting from the manufacturing structure that allowed tgen to amply raise a family on their single salary. A situation thst no longer exists.
There was also a tremendous amount of sub contractors who worked for the major employers, who paid well, but not quite as well as the major players, but a family coukd be supported by one earner. A part of that is that we no longer manufacture much in the USA.
As soon as our fathers are gone, though we'll be out of here. Hopefully to retire as,well.

This area has continuously turned down opportunities for both manufacturing and other things such as a mall to compete with the one in Branson, and a couple companies wanting to set up a headquarters for the north east region of the country. Nope as long as they get their state, county and city pay with full benies paid by the minimum wage based community here, they don't care about bringing jobs that do pay in.

A good portion of the county is also farming community, but due to the "hardships" of farming, even that is disappearing.
But that leads to the " picturesque country side here the leaders "don't want to change". But even tourist dollars don't come in to enjoy this "picturesque country side "!!

The NIMBY attitude is alive and well here.

Also the area, when it does gain a new employer, doesn't bother to train a workforce beneficial to the future employers , so they hire/tramsfer people from outside the area to run the facilities.

There is also no " promotion from within", it's we'll hire an outsider.

Even the real estate market has been stagnant for 2 decades, largely because wages have been stagnant. Those from the outside can easily afford a house here, but since 2015 it has,risen. We bought our house in fall 2015, just at the upswing of the competitive market enjoyed here today.

It is true that a minimum wage based job earner can afford a house here if they both work 2 two minimum based jobs full time, but our minimum is waaaay above the federal minimum.

And for someone like me who is physically disabled, any old job is not available to me, or I'd be mowing lawns for the town/county like I did when I was a teenager and early 20s.

As someone mentioned before and someone backed them up, NIMBY doesn't help matters.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:41 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I’m not sure why some of you are so drawn to the economics forums but know so little about it. You participate in these threads and there’s many excellent explanations given, yet you choose to ignore it and just uselessly complain. It’s just stunning to me. At least learn something.

We've got posters here who can't even communicate in standard English but the people who take education seriously and are able to advance themselves are "greedy" and would "step over their dying mother to pick up a dollar."

I agree, all you can do is shake your head. It's the language of failure and blaming others.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:44 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
A lot of privileged people post here who are fortunate who do not understand struggling

How would you know? How could you possibly have any idea what other people have been through?

Speaking of "ridiculous"...

Old 06-18-2018, 10:48 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
A good explanation of entitlement mentality that we see many of the posters here exhibiting

An entitlement mentality is a state of mind in which an individual comes to believe that privileges are instead rights, and that they are to be expected as a matter of course. An entitlement mentality is frequently characterized by the following viewpoints or beliefs:

https://www.conservapedia.com/Entitlement_mentality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics