Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 10:50 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I’m wrong that Phoenix is more affordable for low wage /low skill workers versus L.A?

The average apartment rent in L.A is now $2251 a month

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-ren...a/los-angeles/

Meanwhile in Phoenix,Az it’s .. $955

You are really going to argue that Phoenix isn’t more affordable than L.A?

There isn’t that big a discrepancy between pay for low was workers to pay up that big different in rent .
Plus gas is more and many other things .
Phoenix ranks 9th most unaffordable city for renters, according to study

Quote:
It's a ranking that puts metro Phoenix in the company of San Jose, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York and San Diego - and we don't even get the ocean views to go along with the high prices. Phoenix-area rents still look affordable compared those cities, but it’s also about incomes. The average Phoenix worker takes home $14.59 an hour after taxes and other deductions, according to SmartAsset. To cover an average $960 rent in metro Phoenix, the typical Valley resident must work almost 66 hours.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:55 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
First of all you don't need to work 100 hours a week -- get a roommate to share the costs.
Right?!! When I was a kid I never expected my minimum wage job to provide an apartment by myself. Heck, I had roommates through my 30s (high COL area). I could afford it in my 30s, but wanted the money for other stuff.

Minimum wage is not really expected to provide you a living wage. That seems unreasonable.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-18-2018, 10:57 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Number 9 is better than L.A #2 but I’ve seen L.A mentioned as number one many times

Phoenix was one example of course . I could of said a number of cities in the Midwest too .

I know that some will say low income people can’t move though , but facts don’t back that up . As they move all the time .

Old 06-18-2018, 11:05 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Not sure how Oahu got left out of the top 10.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-18-2018, 11:16 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
A good explanation of entitlement mentality that we see many of the posters here exhibiting

An entitlement mentality is a state of mind in which an individual comes to believe that privileges are instead rights, and that they are to be expected as a matter of course. An entitlement mentality is frequently characterized by the following viewpoints or beliefs:

https://www.conservapedia.com/Entitlement_mentality
the entitlement mentality is that you are better than others and that you made it why can't they. lack of sympathy in Trump's Make America Hate Again world. Even Melania said Trump was heartless and that's not the America she wants.

Heartless people who just wallow in their hate who have to empathy or sympathy for others who are not doing as well as they are.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:26 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
I’m wrong that Phoenix is more affordable for low wage /low skill workers versus L.A?

The average apartment rent in L.A is now $2251 a month

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-ren...a/los-angeles/

Meanwhile in Phoenix,Az it’s .. $955

You are really going to argue that Phoenix isn’t more affordable than L.A?

There isn’t that big a discrepancy between pay for low was workers to pay up that big different in rent .
Plus gas is more and many other things .
Typically people in LA make more money than Phoenix. Minimum wage I believe is higher in LA for one. For two despite the booming tech market, Phoenix isn't that big of a economic boomtowns (well unless you compare it to the rest of AZ) while LA is one of the bigger cities for industry, period. Comparably Phoenix is better but it is still per dollar earned worse.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:31 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Not true for the home we have for sale in the midwest or the low COL area in the south where we live now.
You do understand what the word "tend" means, right?

And where would those areas be? Have you actually checked to find out how sufficient Medicare beds actually are? There are lots of places that say "Medicare" on their websites that actually accept only a small percentage of Medicare patients, or are perpetually at their limit.

This tends (that word again) to be something that must actually be examined on a case-by-case, hospital-by-hospital, doctor-by-doctor basis, and presumptions just because "there's a big medical center over there" are dangerous.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:39 AM

910 posts, read 1,083,544 times
If you want to live in the big city, you have to pay for it. Higher taxes, higher cost of living, lower quality of life. For what? So that you have 300 restaurants around you that you can't afford to eat at. American culture has degraded rural living to such an extent that young people would rather live in prison, than live beyond the city limits and bright lights. Now, on top of that, they are demanding top dollar for entry level work, so that they can continue to live in the big city. They even continue the lie that you can't find good work in the rural areas. Here are a couple of postings from my area. This is in a low cost of living area. This again illustrates that if someone wants to earn more than minimum wage, all they need to do is acquire some skills, and be willing to work hard.

Experienced Framers/Finish Carpenters $30-$40 per hour[SIZE=5] (Helena)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]Fire Sprinkler Fitter. Journeyman Full Time 34+ per hr [/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]Electrician Journeyman Custom Home Wireman Up To $45.00 & Signing Bonus[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]
[/SIZE]
I went to technical school, and I currently earn $76k a year, living in Montana. Most states will pay for tech school for people on welfare. The opportunity and jobs are out there, you just have to be willing to move. There isn't enough money in the world to get me to move my family back into the city. The city we lived in had more people in it, than the entire state of Montana.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Typically people in LA make more money than Phoenix. Minimum wage I believe is higher in LA for one. For two despite the booming tech market, Phoenix isn't that big of a economic boomtowns (well unless you compare it to the rest of AZ) while LA is one of the bigger cities for industry, period. Comparably Phoenix is better but it is still per dollar earned worse.
Yeah min wage is higher but take a look at job postings for Phoenix on indeed
Jobs like fast food places such as Taco Bell are starting at $10 +, they are paying above Arizona min wage .

The extra couple bucks an hour the worker with a similar job in L.A might be making isn’t enough to pay for rent that is more than twice as much and gas that is significantly more etc .

I’m sure there are also a bunch of people that could make the same they are making in Phoenix as they are in L.A .

Of course like I said Phoenix was just one example .

Old 06-18-2018, 12:01 PM

Not really a difference in pay for these lower end service industry type jobs in Phoenix versus L.A

So the argument that “pay is more “ is mostly a myth .. at least in this sector .

——-

Food service job listings in Phoenix

https://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?sameQ=...rp%2Cwhereauto

Food service job listings L.A

https://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?sameQ=...rp%2Cwhereauto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics