Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 AM

876 posts, read 814,130 times

Advertisements

Wah, wah, wah! Sorry I am not having any empathy for minimum wage workers. I was one a long time ago, making as little as $4 an hour to sweat in a warehouse doing backbreaking labor.

That was motivation for me to save money, delay gratification, pay my own way to earn 2 degrees, and increase my earning power.

In order to do this I had to SACRIFICE for several years. People don't understand the concept of not having everything you want, and planning for long-term success. And it never gets easy.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:23 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
Wah, wah, wah! Sorry I am not having any empathy for minimum wage workers. I was one a long time ago, making as little as $4 an hour to sweat in a warehouse doing backbreaking labor.

That was motivation for me to save money, delay gratification, pay my own way to earn 2 degrees, and increase my earning power.

In order to do this I had to SACRIFICE for several years. People don't understand the concept of not having everything you want, and planning for long-term success. And it never gets easy.
True . Just like in the quote I posted a few back about how most people spend most of all their money on things that have no value .

Cars are probably the biggest thing people spend on that keeps them broke .

But then people say they “deserve it “ because they work hard . Hear it all the time .

“Yeah you should buy X , you work hard .. you deserve to treat yourself “

The goal shouldn’t be to make minimum wage “comfortable “ people should be trying to figure out how to get out of min wage as fast as possible .

Old 06-20-2018, 12:39 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Do you really think he GAVE HER THE MOTORCYCLES AND CARS? Sheeze.
Yes, along with the offshore bank accounts, that paid for her $200,000 education.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yes, along with the offshore bank accounts, that paid for her $200,000 education.
What do you base these accusations on?

Old 06-20-2018, 01:27 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What do you base these accusations on?
That I don't believe she paid for her $200,000 education by waiting tables. I'm just not buying it.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:30 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I agree.

One of the reasons public schools abandoned the vocational track was racial discrimination litigation. The lawsuits asserted (1) people who go to college earn more in lifetime earnings than people who go into trades, (2) a higher percentage of white people went into the college prep track than racial minorities, (3) more racial minorities went into the vocational tracks than white people, (4) therefore, the public schools were guilty of racial discrimination by steering minorities into the vocational track and whites into the college prep track.

The irony, of course, is that nowadays a plumbing contractor with a half dozen trucks and a dozen employees is, most likely, a multi-millionaire.
I think you just solved this entire thread.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:07 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Same here, I used to be a burger flipper.

I didn’t like it so I joined the military, finished my education, and now I don’t flip burgers anymore.

Funny what hard work can do.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:44 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:

And how many times the minimum wage are you earning now?

Old 06-20-2018, 03:17 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
That really isn't the Q that matters.

How long did it take to DOUBLE (or triple) the minimum wage rate?
--using whatever the number was when you started. DoL Chart--

ftm...
How long should it take anyone to DOUBLE (or triple) the MW rate?
--to accumulate skill and/or show the maturity to value you being around--

Old 06-20-2018, 03:24 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,434,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post

Ignoring bonus compensation and the fact that I never actually only work 40 hours anymore, I make more than 6 times the minimum wage per hour. My wife makes 3 times.

Our overall compensation including bonus, 401k, and other benefits is probably 14 or 15 times per year what I made 8 years ago making minimum wage with no benefits.

But what does that have to do with the price of rice in China?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics