Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 10:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
Both families do indeed exist. We’re Family B, while our neighbors are Family A. I have no idea if they are legally married, but they refer to themselves as husband and wife. As far as the income being the same, it’s quite simple: only one of their incomes is on the books and straddling the poverty line, and they have the bare minimum deductions. While we have FICA, health insurance, pension and 403B contributions, union dues, as well as dependent care flexible spending account contributions being deducted.

So family A is scamming the system. Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 10:10 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
1) Populated places do not allow you to place trailers on your own land. It's called zoning. If you wanna live in a trailer you have to place it in a park or move it to the boondocks.
Life is all about choices and compromises.
You should be like everyone else and give a little to get a little.
Live in the boondocks.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:19 PM

10,768 posts, read 5,683,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Life is all about choices and compromises.
You should be like everyone else and give a little to get a little.
Live in the boondocks.
No, the boondocks has “degraded internet” which would make it impossible for one to make $100k/year.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
So does a house

Condos come with condo associations which work like HOAs.

SOME houses come with HOA baggage, some do not. I've never lived in a house subject to an HOA.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
No, the boondocks has “degraded internet” which would make it impossible for one to make $100k/year.

Au contraire, haven't you seen the TV commercials? I don't need streaming, so speed isn't a big concern. As long as I can get to eBay, I'm good.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:51 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
this is a fantastic troll job, to the extent that enough people believe there to be serious consideration and thought given to the position.

heck, I plead guilty to trying to actually discuss the inanity with them.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
I would like to see a reference to the original article and the study that supports the OP claims.
National Homeownership Month? What is it actually? if not an organized effort on the part of realtors to promote their own agenda. So do these claims surprise anyone?

I suggest we take such 'statistics' with two pounds of salt until they are replicated by an agency with no dog in the fight.

Apparently those stats I cited came originally from Harvard's Joint Center for Housing Studies, and later used by NAR and by HuffPo:

Take the Joint Center of Housing Studies at Harvard University’s 2013 report, “Re-examining the Social Benefits of Homeownership after the Foreclosure Crisis.” Among the findings of the Harvard study were the following conclusions:

Compared to children of renters (of the same age, income, race, etc.), children of homeowners:
• Are 25% more likely to graduate from high school
• Are 116% more likely to graduate from college
• Have 9% higher math scores
• Have 7% higher reading scores
• Are 59% more likely to own a home within 10 years of moving from their parents’ household

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/garri...b_7465858.html

Last edited by freemkt; 06-28-2018 at 11:15 PM..

Old 06-28-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
you've already admitted that landlords simply pass on costs to renters. Thus taxes, ins, etc goes up, rent goes up as rent inflation. If you are the homeowner your costs went up so you are not immune to that rent inflation.
security in that you own your house and all the sunk money and and earthquake can take it away. Doesn't sound to secure. Neighborhood or economy goes south and you house goes down in value and you can't sell it and you are stuck. not so secure. If you rent simply move.

Try again.

But if you are a homeowner, in most states you enjoy a preferential property tax rate lower than the rate on rental property. e.g. in Michigan, the school tax rate on rental property is 4x the rate on owner-occupied homes. The school prop tax on a typical rental house is >$1,000 more than on an owner-occupied home.

Michigan also has a cap on annual property tax increases, plus an option for voters to override the cap. So voters (homeowner majority) vote to override the cap on rental prop taxes, but
NEVER vote to override the cap on their own property taxes.

Also, rents typically rise even if there is no property tax increase, so when homeowner costs stay the same, rents usually go up anyway.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
A bit lopsided in reasoning
So if all the dysfunctional families with lousy credit are given ridiculous loans for homes they can’t afford -this will bump up their kids chances of success in the world ????
Sounds a lot to me like the social promotion programs that take place in the schools

Old 06-29-2018, 12:04 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
But if you are a homeowner, in most states you enjoy a preferential property tax rate lower than the rate on rental property. e.g. in Michigan, the school tax rate on rental property is 4x the rate on owner-occupied homes. The school prop tax on a typical rental house is >$1,000 more than on an owner-occupied home.

Michigan also has a cap on annual property tax increases, plus an option for voters to override the cap. So voters (homeowner majority) vote to override the cap on rental prop taxes, but
NEVER vote to override the cap on their own property taxes.

Also, rents typically rise even if there is no property tax increase, so when homeowner costs stay the same, rents usually go up anyway.
Hmmmm. Ever consider that if taxes stay the same insurance can go up. How about if the property had an adjustable rate loan that is increasing? Or a ballon. Or maybe a new roof is needed?
As a homeowner I will get lower taxes with the exemption. A whopping $250, about a 5% savings.
Btw on all my rentals taxes and insurance went up each of the last 3 years along with repairs. My rents have not gone up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics