Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on Social Security COLA regarding true inflation and current payout not keepi
Social security payments should INCREASE substantially and regularly - to reflect true inflation and COLA amounts for Vets and seniors 47 74.60%
Social security payments should STAY THE SAME – regardless of the fact cost of living has increased substantially and these people served and paid in 6 9.52%
Social security payments should BE DECREASED – regardless of the fact cost of living has increased substantially and these people served and paid in 10 15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 03:13 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
It amazed me how easy it was for someone to bring in a or their elderly parents and get them hooked into the system. Sponsorship (of someone from another country) has some scary sounding language about supporting people and paying back if they take welfare of any kind in the first 5 years.....then they can go day 1 and sign up for retirement benefits....never paid into.

Going after the sponsors may generate the money the program needs for higher payments.

Do not think this is necessarily a blanket statement.

IIRC some seniors who immigrate do get SS off the bat, but they are either part of some special scheme (Cubans), and or people who marry Americans and get spousal bennies.

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v74n1/v74n1p27.html

Then you have things like this: https://www.investopedia.com/article...y-benefits.asp

SSI is a different matter: https://www.factcheck.org/2009/04/so...-and-refugees/

As relates to Cubans: U.S. welfare flows to Cuba - Sun Sentinel

More Cubans immigrating in old age - Sun Sentinel

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...e79792097.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 11:51 AM

1,514 posts, read 891,096 times
Interesting results so far. Out of the about 50 people who voted in this poll so far, the vast majority (73.93%) believe that:

Social security should - INCREASE substantially and regularly - to reflect true inflation and COLA amounts for Vets and seniors

Old 09-17-2018, 03:12 PM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times
It is like asking workers if they should get big raises

Old 09-17-2018, 04:49 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It is like asking workers if they should get big raises
Only if the raises come from federal sources.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:50 PM

asking anyone in a poll if they think they should get more money for something is usually going to get answers of "sure " regardless of what it is or who is footing the bill

Old 09-17-2018, 05:12 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
asking anyone in a poll if they think they should get more money for something is usually going to get answers of "sure " regardless of what it is or who is footing the bill
Of course.

But if we the people decide to also support workers with a COL or a minimum wage, then it should not come from the business side. IMO of course. It would be a social support and centrally provided.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
The SS COLA is calculated based on the CPI, Consumer Price Index. There are many expenses not included in the CPI and some of those go up a lot faster. For example, our property tax, though limited to 1% increase per year is based on the assessed value, which has going up 12-15%/year. That has resulted in a property tax increase of about 16%. If I were on SS (still working at age 66) the 2% COLA wouldn't help much, since the property tax increase alone would be almost double the "raise."

Old 09-21-2018, 12:13 PM

The CPI is. Ever a personal cost of living index. All it measures is price changes on a basket of stuff in the 1500 mini economies that make us up. Many things would never apply to most of us

Old 09-21-2018, 01:05 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
lolololololololo

So the very segment of the population that caused the greatest National deficit in history that receives the most amount of entitlements in history is complaining that the didn't get a raise?

They have essentially completed a dine and dash on our economy and left the bill to be paid by their grand children and great grand children. They then have the nerve to ask for more entitlements while being the wealthiest generation in the history of the world!

Every dollar I pay in SS goes to them and I will receive $0 in the future for my hard work.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
lolololololololo

So the very segment of the population that caused the greatest National deficit in history that receives the most amount of entitlements in history is complaining that the didn't get a raise?

They have essentially completed a dine and dash on our economy and left the bill to be paid by their grand children and great grand children. They then have the nerve to ask for more entitlements while being the wealthiest generation in the history of the world!

Every dollar I pay in SS goes to them and I will receive $0 in the future for my hard work.
i didn't get a dime that created the federal deficit , i paid taxes my entire life that went to pay for it so i have no idea what you are complaining about . go complain about your past political parties who regardless of who was in power did nothing and gave our money away . working seniors that paid taxes their entire working lives had no part of the deficit being what it is .

you say that like the people here did it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics