Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2018, 10:43 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Yea my choice is not the best one by working a second job, just because of COL wants to rule the world of slave labor. This is a mind set we all have, find something better, go to school, get a second job. When in fact the system is against you all the time no matter what. Who to say that we all go back to school and get that DR degree and now were flooded with DR and boom wages goes down. When simple fact that your job/employer just needs to keep wages with inflation would prevent others from having to look for another job or waist more time in a class room. Just a vicious cycle that never ends.
What I find interesting is the fact you picked up a second job. In other posts I suggested you up your value with education or pick up a second job to get ahead. You said you wouldn't do so because you wanted not sacrafice time with the the family. You were pretty stubborn on this.
I am happy to see you've reconsidered and hope you can gain some ground now. While it's a hard world for many, I still see others who make an above average effort to succeed do really well. Enough of them to believe the opportunity is there if you want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 10:46 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,916,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
What I find interesting is the fact you picked up a second job. In other posts I suggested you up your value with education or pick up a second job to get ahead. You said you wouldn't do so because you wanted not sacrafice time with the the family. You were pretty stubborn on this.
I am happy to see you've reconsidered and hope you can gain some ground now. While it's a hard world for many, I still see others who make an above average effort to succeed do really well. Enough of them to believe the opportunity is there if you want it.
like i said, i hate it. .its just stupid that we have to come to this, and xmas around the corner so really its for that, more then bills. Really hate busting as and earn the money just to be handed to the next person.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:11 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The situation has been aggravated by places such as Brisbane, just south of San Francisco, which has encouraged extensive office development while failing to build housing.

“We have cities around California that are happy to welcome thousands of workers in gleaming new tech and innovation campuses, and are turning a blind eye to their housing need,” said Mr. Chiu.

“Cities that deny housing are contributing to skyrocketing rents, unfair evictions and homelessness,” said Lori Droste, a member of the Berkeley City Council.
City of Industry. 2500 businesses. 80,000 workers. 219 residents.

Can you imagine the ax revenue those 219 people get to spend?

Old 09-27-2018, 11:15 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
Over four hundred responses and we're still debating the fact that many haven't' prospered in America, despite the popular opinion that we have a "strong economy." Poverty has many faces, those who live in tents on our sidewalks, those who live in cars, apartments, motels, couch surfing types, and those who live just a few notches above the radar of our much ballyhooed "recovery,"

So what are we going to call a "strong" economy? Some show us impressive charts and graphs depicting a rosy life in America, others feel the sting of low wages and a less than desirable lifestyle in the planet's richest nation. And still more tell us about the moral factors surrounding the question of personal responsibility. Putting the onus of one's poverty squarely on the back of the individual, all while posturing the capitalistic system as a scientific form of socio/economic delineation, a "natural" divider of winners and losers.

The truth is that our form of capitalism has always provided plenty of winners and losers, and some believe that in order to have a large group of winners we must have a lesser number of losers, a notion supported by the mantra of "we will always have the poor among us."

A truly "strong" economic system would most likely have some built in factors for ameliorating the worst effects of that system, and we do have some of that provided by those who seek to create a better balance of well being. The trouble today with regard to our most pressing social ills lies in the fact that we have a growing number of people who would be fine with moving on while throwing the losers under the bus of indifference. We see that indifference in most societies, but we thought at one time that America was "special," and now we know better.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:24 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it really has no logic to it that the same job should have to increase in worth other than inflation adjusting .in fact with technology and out sourcing one's old job may actually be of less value to the market place . most of us increase wages by increasing our skills, position and job function . not because we expect to be paid more for the same old job other than just keeping up with inflation . even yearly inflation adjusting has not been seen in many jobs .

so it is up to individuals to pave their own way to earning more . there really is no choice , either we live on that income or we do something about increasing income . wishing and complaining can't be spent at the supermarket .
There are a lot of jobs that don't change and that moving up is not par for the course. Therapists, mechanics, pilots, nurses, electricians, do not necessarily increase wages by moving into management. As an OT, I do increase my skills, we have continuing ed requirements each year. But getting a higher degree would not increase my salary, and rehab directors don't make much more but often work longer hours, while we get overtime. There are many jobs that aren't meant to be upwardly mobile, even highly skilled jobs.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:35 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
There will always be laggards, and there will always be some who reject the appeals to make a strong effort while stuck at the bottom of the pyramid;

or those who can see a bit beyond the superficial appeals of aggressive (and often short-sighted) supervisors;

or those in agreement with Robert Frost's observation that "By working diligently eight hours a day, you get be a boss -- and work diligently ten hours a day.";

or those who, later in life and career, come to the conclusion that earthly existence is, by definition, a defensive, and ultimately, a losing proposition.

Still, most of us find a purpose, and "soldier on" in one way or another; so don't "take anyone else's inventory".

Old 09-27-2018, 11:49 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,916,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There are a lot of jobs that don't change and that moving up is not par for the course. Therapists, mechanics, pilots, nurses, electricians, do not necessarily increase wages by moving into management. As an OT, I do increase my skills, we have continuing ed requirements each year. But getting a higher degree would not increase my salary, and rehab directors don't make much more but often work longer hours, while we get overtime. There are many jobs that aren't meant to be upwardly mobile, even highly skilled jobs.

and yet still get told to find another job, when the job your doing is just fine. Employers just need to face the fact they have the direct influential in a person salary, and need to adjust yearly to keep up the pace with the market. Not just settle on one rate and just get lucky that a idiot would apply for the job.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:12 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
A lot of people living in tents are working and choose to live that way .
I've met a few . they rent a storage unit and keep their important stuff there .
Some live in tiny house in some one's back yard . It is what our world is shifting to .
Jobs are out there ,but we have a generation with no experience working them, or actually working for that matter .
Kids that work while in school are more likely to get hired than a kids that did nothing while in school .
Growing up I had construction jobs after school, in school, and well before I graduated high school.
Starting some where any where builds a reputation, and that is built, not fabricated on paper.
These days employers are forced to investigate because the competition is so great .

Old 09-27-2018, 02:38 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,767,525 times
Always, always work - brain surgery, basket-weaving - anything. Just keep working. I took time off for some personal issues and it was HELL trying to get back into the workforce.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:50 PM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
many have unions that mandate raises for them , often pushing wages well beyond what the job is worth. on the other hand i am in the electrical field and there are all sorts of different segments you can go as an electrician to get paid more . these factory automation control guys make a lot more than the wire and pipe slingers or the guys putting light switches in doing residential work . .

as a sales engineer i made more than most residential electricians did and i have no degree . but my skill set was also different and few of the every day wire and pipe slingers know the segment i do. which is why i migrated to what i did .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-27-2018 at 03:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics