Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 05:13 PM

129 posts, read 332,304 times

Advertisements

I got the 2018 model manual transmission I lock the doors by pushing the button down on top old school I hope they keep this car at least 10 years

two weeks ago I hopped on this Megabus in Oakland at midnight and I went to Anaheim Mitsubishi to look at a brand new Mitsubishi Mirage but it was black with orange mirrors and orange trim so I did not buy it and I hop back on the bus and came back the same day

the Nissan Versa is the same price they have all of these three models basic 5 speed for $9,999 usually at the end of the month to make the numbers look good from what they said

When I pulled up at the gas station some guys were looking at the car to see what girl is inside I guess this is a girl's car

even Cars 2 and 3 years old are more than $10,000 that's why I decided just to try this the first new car ever got
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 05:35 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countonme View Post
Hello everyone my car took a dump I don't want to dump any money into the car I want to buy a new car what do you guys think

The car is a brand new 2018 Chevy Spark manual transmission roll up Windows no power door locks basically Bare Bones

The price is $9,995 plus tax and license which will come out to about 11,400

I'm going to put $1,000 down and my car payment will be around $210 for 5 years

Insurance will be $160 is a month I live in a high risk area I think

I am a janitor at an elementary school with a 60 mile round-trip commute I need reliable transportation

here in California it's getting hard to find reliable cars for 1 to $2,000 anymore especially with the new smog requirements every two years

That's I have a $600 mortgage with no other credit card bills or debt my property tax is around 1700 a year

I know I'm not supposed to have a car payment but what it is the community think

If I was going to buy that model (which I never would), I would certainly not buy it New.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:02 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,404,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
If I was going to buy that model (which I never would), I would certainly not buy it New.
Why not? There are some advantages to buying new.

First of all, if you need to finance either way, interest rates are usually lower on new cars than they are on used ones. I found this out the hard way almost 20 years ago when I bought a 2 year old Saturn. I thought I was being so smart since I was saving a few thousand dollars vs buying new. Then right afterwords I started noticing commercials on TV advertising super low interest rates on new ones. I did the math and figured out that in the long run it would have cost almost exactly the same to buy a brand new one.

2nd, you get a full warranty, the latest technology, safety and other improvements, you get to know exactly how the car was taken care of, you get more overall miles of use out of it before it's worn out, etc., etc.

Everyone's situation is different. Sometimes it makes sense to buy used, sometimes it makes sense to buy new, and sometimes it makes sense to lease a vehicle.

I think countonme could have done worse.

Hey countonme, good for you for getting the stick shift. I haven't driven or owned one for a long time, but I miss having one. Most people who don't know how to drive a stick wouldn't understand, but it can turn an underpowered crap-box like your little Spark into something that's actually fun to drive. I mean no disrespect by calling your car that. I actually do think that this vehicle with a stick shift would probably be relatively fun to drive, but if it had an automatic then probably not so much.

Enjoy your new ride!

Last edited by bfrabel; 09-23-2018 at 06:12 PM..

Old 09-24-2018, 02:14 AM

24,638 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Risk vs reward. You don't want debt but you also don't want the stress of a car breaking down every 5 days.

Good on you OP for making an educated choice that fits your needs.

Last edited by Rocko20; 09-24-2018 at 02:23 AM..

Old 09-24-2018, 08:19 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countonme View Post
Hello everyone my car took a dump I don't want to dump any money into the car I want to buy a new car what do you guys think

The car is a brand new 2018 Chevy Spark manual transmission roll up Windows no power door locks basically Bare Bones

The price is $9,995 plus tax and license which will come out to about 11,400

I'm going to put $1,000 down and my car payment will be around $210 for 5 years

Insurance will be $160 is a month I live in a high risk area I think

I am a janitor at an elementary school with a 60 mile round-trip commute I need reliable transportation

here in California it's getting hard to find reliable cars for 1 to $2,000 anymore especially with the new smog requirements every two years

That's I have a $600 mortgage with no other credit card bills or debt my property tax is around 1700 a year

I know I'm not supposed to have a car payment but what it is the community think
Why don't you just buy yourself a computer and start looking for work from home jobs.You would not need to deal with a commute and you could be able to buy a really cheaper car just to get around to do regular errands.It would save you tons of money in the end.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:43 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,458 times
I would suggest moving out of California. Driving 30 minutes for the job you have doesn't seem worth it, but at least it's a job I guess. Congrats for having a $600/month mortgage though, how did you come by that? I'm curious.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:05 PM

129 posts, read 332,304 times
I'm born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area and I saw myself getting pushed out because of high rents so I made it a goal to buy a home here so I can leave when I want to leave and not forced out of here

I bought a fixer in the mid-90s and a great little city close to San Francisco

In the mid-nineties I knew all of the little hidden Pockets warehousing was cheaper there was a little spot in the Oakland Hills you can buy a home for 120000 with a view of the Bay Area and it was like 10 blocks out of the mix

And then there were little pockets and San Pablo El Sobrante that look like wooded forrest

Also there were a couple little spots in Pacifica that had something wrong like next to a busy street that would go for a little bit less

If you were willing to travel or commute a little bit you can get a great little cabin house from Highway 9 in Scotts Valley San Jose to Santa Cruz

All those deals are all gone now

they were giving away houses for $60,000 on an acre of land in Turlock California Modesto is cheap you could buy a house for $35,000 Stockton$40,000 this was all back in the 90s you could even go to Antioch and Pittsburg before all of the building started

All of that is gone

There was Vacaville in Fairfield if you are willing to commute

Old 09-24-2018, 01:02 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
If it were ME, I'd much rather go certified-used and get something nicer with more long-term reliability. That's what I did the last time I bought a car - ended up with a warrantied 2 year-old (2014) VW Jetta with leather(ette) seats, power windows & locks, integrated satellite radio, etc. Sale price was $12,900 and I pay $270/mo only because my credit sucks and interest rate is high. If I had a better rate, the payments would be closer to what you're looking at for this Chevy. Just my opinion, so take it or leave it!

Old 09-24-2018, 01:09 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I would suggest moving out of California. Driving 30 minutes for the job you have doesn't seem worth it, but at least it's a job I guess. Congrats for having a $600/month mortgage though, how did you come by that? I'm curious.
I was about to ask the same, since I'm in the Bay Area - where mortgages are more like $3500-7000/mo on average, lol. And you aren't the first to suggest they move, but don't you all realize that's not an option for everyone? They might not be able to uproot a family (or leave them behind), sell their home, find a new job elsewhere, etc, etc. Trust me, relocating is MUCH easier said than done!!

Old 09-24-2018, 01:49 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
CA is very cheap if you have your housing cost low (which he does by any measure). The only other thing that costs a lot here is gasoline which he mitigated by getting an efficient car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics