Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 04:57 AM

1,591 posts, read 1,193,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
LOL to say the least.

Why would anyone engage in any business whatsoever if capital gains taxes were 90%?! That makes no sense. You're talking about putting every company out of business, ruining the stock market, and leading to a jobless society. You'd have to be a complete moron to think in any fashion that would be a good idea, I'm sorry to tell you. Completely clueless.
Not to mention the fact that nobody would ever be able to retire; especially since all the 'evils' that he speaks about with regard to investing, keep millions of people above the poverty line.

Under his regime, people would have to work up until their deathbed. Thank Bujezus OP is a fiscal oddity; I was glad my parents didn't have to suffer when it came time to put their work on their back burner. They weren't rich by any means, but their investments kept them safe and warm until they passed.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:21 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,455,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Not to mention the fact that nobody would ever be able to retire; especially since all the 'evils' that he speaks about with regard to investing, keep millions of people above the poverty line.

Under his regime, people would have to work up until their deathbed. Thank Bujezus OP is a fiscal oddity; I was glad my parents didn't have to suffer when it came time to put their work on their back burner. They weren't rich by any means, but their investments kept them safe and warm until they passed.
Do you really think retirees should be dependent on corporate wealth? Stock investments along with commodity investments make buyers reliant on the well being on the company/seller of commodity to produce wealth for them.

Wouldn’t it be much more sustainable to have community cooperative investment offer the institutions retirees needed to live life well?

Old 01-14-2019, 06:22 AM

2,755 posts, read 1,794,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
How is that even remotely close to what I said.

In major cities and sunbelt cities where all the job/wage growth is happening, prices are going up and the working class is being moved out or pushed to poor areas with miserable public standards and crime.
so it's exactly what you said

Old 01-14-2019, 07:08 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,045,410 times
Quote:
To create a freer society it must be more egalitarian and not based on increasing economic activity.

Also in the long run it will lower government revenues and slow imperialistic ambitions abroad.

Furthermore people will be happier not trying to become millionaires and building a life rather than making a living.
How ?? Like in USSR ? or in middle east where govt tells you how to dress up?

See why Asia is smashing everyone and moving ahead. Its because of American investment.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:32 AM

30,258 posts, read 11,884,097 times
Quote:
You wouldn't, and that would be a good thing.

Corporations will have weaker economic influence over the economy, and provide more freedom for the non-executive class.

Making the federal government more omnipotent is not a good thing. The power should be in the hands of its people not the government or big business.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:44 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,672,167 times
Quote:
Do you really think retirees should be dependent on corporate wealth? Stock investments along with commodity investments make buyers reliant on the well being on the company/seller of commodity to produce wealth for them.

Wouldn’t it be much more sustainable to have community cooperative investment offer the institutions retirees needed to live life well?
How would this work? Where would my checks in retirement come from? What is the mechanism that would be generating the revenue needed?

Old 01-14-2019, 09:17 AM

5,908 posts, read 4,447,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
How would this work? Where would my checks in retirement come from? What is the mechanism that would be generating the revenue needed?
The community would take care of you of course!

They would put you onto a little ice raft and wave you off as you glide over to your new retirement home in the land of milk and golden honey.

Bon voyage!!

Old 01-14-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Making the federal government more omnipotent is not a good thing. The power should be in the hands of its people not the government or big business.
I agree, and raising the CGT would lower overall government revenue meaning both private and state power would be limited.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:52 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,029,986 times
I favor the opposite extreme. There should be no such thing as a capital gains tax. My income is already taxed. Once Uncle Sam has helped himself to my earnings, anything I do with the net should be off limits. If I choose to use some of that for investments, Uncle Sam shouldn’t be allowed to double dip: the income base has already been taxed.

It’ll never happen. Hopefully a profoundly idiotic 90% tax won’t either. Unfortunately I know which extreme is more likely.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
The community would take care of you of course!

They would put you onto a little ice raft and wave you off as you glide over to your new retirement home in the land of milk and golden honey.

Bon voyage!!
Funny.

But if a community owned its own capital through cooperative ownership, they would choose to invest it by the needs of the locality democratically;

And furthermore cost restrictions set by government and private ownershers would no longer be intrusive allowing families, churches, and other such institutions to provide care for the elderly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics