Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2020, 05:01 PM

10,608 posts, read 5,707,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Most public sector white collar jobs require college degrees,
While the hiring manager may specific a college degree, many such jobs have little job content requiring the knowledge from having earned a degree.

Quote:
and they are paid lower than their private-sector counterparts.
Not really true anymore.

Quote:
As for firing, it's just lazy administrators. If they do the paperwork, they can fire someone. It's easy enough.
And yet the lazy administrators are not fired by their own managers.

Old 02-08-2020, 10:09 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
Yeah my wife is willing to move, but there's no way I would. We aren't hurting for $ and there is no way I'm leaving California. Spent 8 years in the midwest and that is more than enough for one lifetime.
There are many more locations than the Midwest - I spent 9 years in the Chicago area and I am certain that I will never move back. There are other places in the middle of the country that I might consider but they would be Tennessee and south.

We are moving from CA mostly because of cost, I can easily afford anyplace in CA but the cost of staying in CA is significantly more than NV (about $20-25K/year retired) and about $35K/year with ROTH conversion or RMD is factored in.

The other factor is the states one party rule ensures only liberal views are accommodated.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:35 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,682,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Too, freaking, hot, in AZ. Some can put up with it.
It's 70 degrees today while huge swaths of the country are buried in snow, ice, rain, storms, etc. How is that "too freaking hot"? You don't seem to be too concerned about the bitter, miserable freezing temperatures the upper half of the country muddles through for half the year. "Some can put up with" that.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:44 AM

22,107 posts, read 9,673,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You don't seem to get it - need to look at the whole system as it exists, not what you want to exist. We are not magically going to change the tax system overnight to eliminate all SALT deductions or reduce the size of government. While many would like smaller federal and state budgets, that is not happening anytime soon. Politicians on both sides have too much invested in the current system.

As long as federal tax regulations allow SALT to be deducted, the states have little incentive to reduce taxes. By not taxing SALT at the federal level, the federal tax system is essentially subsidizing some of the excess state taxes that are being paid to the state because that lost revenue must be made up elsewhere by increasing everyone's tax rates if expect a zero sum tax collected. Putting a limits on SALT deductions encourages the States to reduce their overtaxing behavior and allows to reduce federal tax rates and still collect same amount. Reducing federal tax rates also encourages economic growth.
One would hope that would be how it came out but in Illinois, they are doing the opposite.

Oh, I also understand the House put forth a bill to raise federal top rates and reinstitute the SALT deduction. They are nothing if not transparent. I was never about helping the middle class. It was about funneling more revenue to THEIR states.

Old 02-09-2020, 02:19 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,499,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
It's 70 degrees today while huge swaths of the country are buried in snow, ice, rain, storms, etc. How is that "too freaking hot"? You don't seem to be too concerned about the bitter, miserable freezing temperatures the upper half of the country muddles through for half the year. "Some can put up with" that.
In the summer, deserts are awful. Granted, it's a dry heat (I've been there). This is merely the cons of ANY place...
large cities, expensive with traffic
Remote areas, typically away from family, and away from amenities of population centers
Places where it gets really hot, REALLY hot.
Places where you get half a foot to 4+ feet of snow, yeah snow (I don't miss that either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
There are many more locations than the Midwest - I spent 9 years in the Chicago area and I am certain that I will never move back. There are other places in the middle of the country that I might consider but they would be Tennessee and south.

We are moving from CA mostly because of cost, I can easily afford anyplace in CA but the cost of staying in CA is significantly more than NV (about $20-25K/year retired) and about $35K/year with ROTH conversion or RMD is factored in.

The other factor is the states one party rule ensures only liberal views are accommodated.
Sounds like you'll be happy in a red state then [shrug]. I've heard from people who move out of those such areas because if you tell others you don't believe in god or don't go to church, they treat you like dirt, and you can expect to get laid off "for no reason". In the end, we end up moving to where we feel at home.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:04 PM

6,156 posts, read 3,863,975 times
Quote:
In the summer, deserts are awful. Granted, it's a dry heat (I've been there). This is merely the cons of ANY place...
large cities, expensive with traffic
Remote areas, typically away from family, and away from amenities of population centers
Places where it gets really hot, REALLY hot.
Places where you get half a foot to 4+ feet of snow, yeah snow (I don't miss that either).

Sounds like you'll be happy in a red state then [shrug]. I've heard from people who move out of those such areas because if you tell others you don't believe in god or don't go to church, they treat you like dirt, and you can expect to get laid off "for no reason". In the end, we end up moving to where we feel at home.
That's strange. I've lived and worked in states that are now considered as Red states all of my life and I don't recall anyone at work asking if I believe in God, or asking if I go to church, and I never got fired or got treated like dirt by my co-workers or my neighbors. Most of the people just didn't give a crap what I did or what I believed in and I felt the same way about them. Don't know where you got the idea that "live and let live" attitude is exclusive to Blue states, but it's certainly not correct.

Perhaps you were making comments that they considered as leftist/liberal in nature and they let you know that they didn't share those views, but I don't consider that as being "treated like dirt". Maybe it was something else about your attitude that they didn't like.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I would rather be in a red or purple state, even a centrist blue state where both sides work together. I was born and grew up in CA and CA used to be more centrist. You are stereotyping based on a bias, "I've heard" is no basis for determining facts or truth. I have lived in red, blue, and purple states and what you are stating is far from the truth, the blue states tend to be much less friendly. As far as employment, again you are out of touch, most states are "at will" including CA where anyone can be fired for any reason or no reason. https://workplacerightslaw.com/libra...loyment-state/

Quote:
According to California law, an “at-will” employment in the state of California defines a working relationship with an employee that can be terminated for any reason by their employer. This can happen without any type of warning from the employer in the state of California.
Since I am retired (was in my post) I have no worry about getting laid off but it is more about the individuals performance than it is the state they live in. Every time I laid someone off, it was about performance, I could care less about their beliefs.

I really do not feel at home here in CA anymore, the politicians don't care about any opinion but those that are on the very far left. This hard left bent is driving the middle class people out - they are essentially forcing people out with their radical policies and high taxes. Who in their right mind would not care about $25K to $35K/year in added costs for living in CA, that is a huge amount.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:55 PM

17,523 posts, read 24,760,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
CA, NY, CT, IL, etc., and even some in TX are leaving because of their property tax bills:

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/it...ornia-new-york

The number of GenXers in my age range, say 40's, who left recently or are planning to leave in the next few years from the part of NY I hail from is staggering, judging by social media posts I've seen and other on-the-ground assessments. People at or near their peak incomes are leaving blue states in droves, same for a lot of retirees of means.

The punishing taxes and in some cases costs of living in parts of blue states will keep pushing productive people out of them.
ABSOLUTE NONSENSE. I have friends in San Francisco paying $300 a year property tax on a house valued at $3,000,000.00. Have you ever heard of Prop #13? I don't know what your agenda is, but I can guess.

Old 02-09-2020, 05:40 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,853,326 times
Not possible... just the special assessments are more than that...

Old 02-09-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
ABSOLUTE NONSENSE. I have friends in San Francisco paying $300 a year property tax on a house valued at $3,000,000.00. Have you ever heard of Prop #13? I don't know what your agenda is, but I can guess.
ABSOLUTELY FALSE - even under prop 13, taxes would go up at 2% a year - No house in SF is paying $300/yr in taxes on a $3M house. Your friends are telling a story, $300/mo maybe, not $300/yr. My mom who has been in her house for over 50 years in SF area (worth about $1.5M now) pays over $1500/yr under prop 13. Your friends house would have had to be valued at less than $6K in 1973 to pay $300 in tax now - that didn't exist in a house in SF then.

BTW - My property taxes are $12K/yr in CA on tax value of about $1M, prop 13 is only significant impact if been in the same house forever. NV has a prop 13 like limit also at 3% max increase and the tax rate is less to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics