Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 01:00 PM

10,091 posts, read 7,298,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Crack open a history book or the newspapers, kid. Recent history is littered with your specific examples, but each one you'll poo-poo... "Oh, that isn't proof, that's just the big bad US picking on poor little Iran! It's all lies!"

I'd suggest doing your own research, but we know you can't be bothered... you already know what you feel like you need to know, so no point in letting any pesky facts get in the way!

Wonderful Iran is just a plane trip away. They'll welcome you with open arms into a land of peace, tolerance, and wealth. Go, fly, be free!
I haven't been but know people who have. Iran is actually surprisingly modern, and more "American"-like than you might think. They have (or had before sanctions) a vibrant middle class who have similar values and aspirations as the Western middle classes. They valur personal freedom, free markets, modern technology etc.. more than you'd expect. E.g.: Iran is a nicer place than Iraq, by far.

The main difference Americans would notice is the sexual conservatism regarding what women can and can't wear in public etc... The people in charge of Iran are the equivalent of our right-wing evangelicals, so they "police" morality.

A country like Mauritania is far more oppressive, and much less. But they have no oil, so the U.S. doesn't mess with them, despite their government being more repressive than Iran.

Given the cultural compatibility, Iran should be one of the U.S.'s top allies in the middle east, and Asia in gemeral. More than Russia and China even.

Strangely, we are good friends in the middle east with a society we are far LESS compatible with - Saudi Arabia - more repressive, more backward, worse to its women and minorities, more religiously fantatical, bad human rights record, not much middle class, etc...

If we would STOP MEDDLING in Iran's internal affairs, things would get better.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:13 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,861,542 times
Quote:
Anyone who believes Iran is worthy of admiration does not want a better government, and yes, I absolutely do want them to pack their bags and hit the bricks.

Besides... if Iran is paradise, why stay here in a country you find to be hateful, violent, arrogant, "big government", whatever? Why not just move to Utopia? Save yourself! Leave us to die in squalor!
You worship the government so you seem to think that not liking the government means you don't like the country. The country isn't the government. I don't murder people, the US government does. Nobody I know murders people. So it's perfectly fine to dislike the government and enjoy living in the country.

I never said I admire Iran. You are making up strawmen because you don't have a reasonable position.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Crack open a history book or the newspapers, kid. Recent history is littered with your specific examples, but each one you'll poo-poo... "Oh, that isn't proof, that's just the big bad US picking on poor little Iran! It's all lies!"

I'd suggest doing your own research, but we know you can't be bothered... you already know what you feel like you need to know, so no point in letting any pesky facts get in the way!

Wonderful Iran is just a plane trip away. They'll welcome you with open arms into a land of peace, tolerance, and wealth. Go, fly, be free!
Not surprising you have no ability to come up actual attacks Iran is responsible for. I've done tons of research. You know what country supports terrorism? The US. I'll continue waiting for you to actually support your position with actual attacks Iran is responsible for

Old 02-15-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I haven't been but know people who have. Iran is actually surprisingly modern, and more "American"-like than you might think. They have (or had before sanctions) a vibrant middle class who have similar values and aspirations as the Western middle classes. They valur personal freedom, free markets, modern technology etc.. more than you'd expect. E.g.: Iran is a nicer place than Iraq, by far.

The main difference Americans would notice is the sexual conservatism regarding what women can and can't wear in public etc... The people in charge of Iran are the equivalent of our right-wing evangelicals, so they "police" morality.

A country like Mauritania is far more oppressive, and much less. But they have no oil, so the U.S. doesn't mess with them, despite their government being more repressive than Iran.

Given the cultural compatibility, Iran should be one of the U.S.'s top allies in the middle east, and Asia in gemeral. More than Russia and China even.

Strangely, we are good friends in the middle east with a society we are far LESS compatible with - Saudi Arabia - more repressive, more backward, worse to its women and minorities, more religiously fantatical, bad human rights record, not much middle class, etc...

If we would STOP MEDDLING in Iran's internal affairs, things would get better.
The US helps Saudi Arabia murder shiites because the US made a deal with them to sell oil in dollars. Look at these people just repeating the government's lies even when they have no idea what Iran has done to deserve all the evil things that the US does to iran

Old 02-19-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:

not coming back? you know this is a conversation that i have had a bunch of times and nobody ever answers when i ask about what iran has done. they always say "they are the number one sponsor of terrorism" which is just repeating the bs government says. they never want to get into detail.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:11 AM

20,034 posts, read 18,318,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
not coming back? you know this is a conversation that i have had a bunch of times and nobody ever answers when i ask about what iran has done. they always say "they are the number one sponsor of terrorism" which is just repeating the bs government says. they never want to get into detail.
Your logic and understanding of facts is amazingly lame.

*52 American Diplomats were held in Iran for 444 days under Carter.

*The Shi'ite terror group Hezbolla, Iran's longtime client terror organization...........
1. 1983 bombed The US embassy in Beirut killing 17
2. 1983 bombed peacekeeping barracks in Beirut killing 305 innocents including 241 US military members

And many more...........

If you want to twist off into some fantasy world that Iran didn't control and fund Hezbolla go ahead. Leave real life to the rest of us.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Your logic and understanding of facts is amazingly lame.

*52 American Diplomats were held in Iran for 444 days under Carter.

*The Shi'ite terror group Hezbolla, Iran's longtime client terror organization...........
1. 1983 bombed The US embassy in Beirut killing 17
2. 1983 bombed peacekeeping barracks in Beirut killing 305 innocents including 241 US military members

And many more...........

If you want to twist off into some fantasy world that Iran didn't control and fund Hezbolla go ahead. Leave real life to the rest of us.
i could go deeper into those incidents but really do you think there is an issue with the fact that the things you mentioned are all 36+ years old? imagine if you look at everything the US has done within the last 36 years, nothing iran has done or even affiliated groups has done anything near what the US government has done.

if they are the number one state sponsor of terrorism according to you, shouldnt you have responded with some stuff from at least the most recent decade?

Old 02-19-2020, 07:22 PM

20,034 posts, read 18,318,488 times
Quote:
i could go deeper into those incidents but really do you think there is an issue with the fact that the things you mentioned are all 36+ years old? imagine if you look at everything the US has done within the last 36 years, nothing iran has done or even affiliated groups has done anything near what the US government has done.

if they are the number one state sponsor of terrorism according to you, shouldnt you have responded with some stuff from at least the most recent decade?
I'm not even sure how to respond except to say you are almost literally clueless. You should be embarrassed.

And quite clearly you cannot go "deeper" into any of this.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'm not even sure how to respond except to say you are almost literally clueless. You should be embarrassed.

And quite clearly you cannot go "deeper" into any of this.
you think it isnt obvious that you are choosing to insult me rather than present an argument because you have no argument? we are talking about current events and you are talking about 36+ year old events. im pretty sure that if you had something better you wouldnt have went with 36+ year old examples.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:18 AM

5,910 posts, read 4,461,916 times
Quote:
The US helps Saudi Arabia murder shiites because the US made a deal with them to sell oil in dollars. Look at these people just repeating the government's lies even when they have no idea what Iran has done to deserve all the evil things that the US does to iran

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r0xV8Y_5vWs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics