Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 06:10 PM

369 posts, read 371,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
1. Better in the political forum.
2. The CA. dream and the lure of the sunbelt has been going on for 2 generations.
3. ZeroHedge is a questionable site
4. All available information shows most people who leave a northern state do so for weather (that is, people are not leaving MA. or NH. for "lower taxes"/
5. I can affirm that as the owner of multiple houses and a relatively high income family...that I've run the numbers and although I own property in FL, it would be foolish for me to move for economic reasons.

That is, the type of person who has that type of mobility and no family, friends or job or heritage/tradition is generally not "everyman".

Oh:

6. The new inter web allows for work and other things from places that people would have not wanted to be before.

Each place is different. People have been "escaping from New York" almost forever - Edison and Ford both had places in Florida a century ago.

California is one of those places like London or Tokyo or Hong Kong - a place where you have to be if you want to work in that sector, etc.

But the CA. "dream" was over when I visited there 50 years back. In it's place is an economic miracle the likes of which the world has never seen...but that's not the same as a place where the average person might want to be.
What sector are you talking about in California? The entertainment business? If so, not so much anymore. More productions every year move to Atlanta, Vancouver and other states. Also, only 10% of SAG members are working actors. Uber drivers are more gainfully employed.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:04 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,717,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
What sector are you talking about in California? The entertainment business? If so, not so much anymore. More productions every year move to Atlanta, Vancouver and other states. Also, only 10% of SAG members are working actors. Uber drivers are more gainfully employed.
What sector am I talking about?

Do you know how many trillions in market caps the firms within a 20 mile radius of SFO command?

No, I'm not talking about just entertainment.....
Tech, Tech and Tech

Tesla, SpaceX, Pixar, Facebook, Cisco, Salesforce, Google, Apple, uBer and vast other enterprises. In addition there are startups galore as well as stuff like the JPL (Aerospace)....

Simply speaking, without CA the USA would be in pretty bad shape as that money and the associated jobs (Apple has a "eco-system" of millions of jobs...due to repair, accessories, software, music, etc - which is spread around).....

It's really big time. Add in the companies that started there or used the brainpower and products from there and moved up the coast (Intel, Microsoft, Amazon) and pretty soon you get the idea.

Every one of us touches dozens or more of these companies every day....like when we are typing here!

Old 02-20-2020, 11:50 PM

216 posts, read 128,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
Is this post forreal?

Old 02-21-2020, 09:15 AM

6,089 posts, read 5,010,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ Exactly. Those Democrat controlled states have runaway spending problems and then have to raise taxes on their residents to pay for that wasteful spending but why should the Feds have to be more considerate of those states than other states that are better run (not by Democrats)?

Trump just made it fairer for all states, which is what should have been all along. If those Democrat states don’t want an exodus, they should work on reducing their taxes. Blaming it on Trump is a cop out.
Exactly.

Why should the other states be forced to subsidize California's high tax environment?

Fair is fair.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:00 PM

369 posts, read 371,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
What sector am I talking about?

Do you know how many trillions in market caps the firms within a 20 mile radius of SFO command?

No, I'm not talking about just entertainment.....
Tech, Tech and Tech

Tesla, SpaceX, Pixar, Facebook, Cisco, Salesforce, Google, Apple, uBer and vast other enterprises. In addition there are startups galore as well as stuff like the JPL (Aerospace)....

Simply speaking, without CA the USA would be in pretty bad shape as that money and the associated jobs (Apple has a "eco-system" of millions of jobs...due to repair, accessories, software, music, etc - which is spread around).....

It's really big time. Add in the companies that started there or used the brainpower and products from there and moved up the coast (Intel, Microsoft, Amazon) and pretty soon you get the idea.

Every one of us touches dozens or more of these companies every day....like when we are typing here!
Apple and many of these companies are in Austin. So not just in California. Or how about Boston? But I'm talking about SoCal, where it's the entertainment industry. And where 1,000's come to to try to make it.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:39 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,817,285 times
its a weird conversation since its not like california is going anywhere. you could speculate endlessly as to what happens without california. all those huge companies probably wouldnt stay in california and withdraw from the rest of the country if california was gone. yes, california has some huge businesses but losing california doesnt equal a loss of apple, uber, spacex, etc. i see some negative consequences of economic policies in places like ny, nj, ca but that is for the residents of those states to deal with and everyone individually to act in their own best interests. they all have the opportunity to change.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:45 PM

61,967 posts, read 87,612,175 times
This thread has almost 200 posts and seems to run out of the course.
Looks like it's time to close it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics