Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2020, 05:49 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
And before video there were these things called books that you could use to learn on your own. What colleges do is collect payment and then tell people to read books, then the students demonstrate they comprehended them, for which the college gives you some kind of certification for your money. Crazy, right?

Why weren't people reading those books on their own!?!?

The thing is that a lot of people need the structure of going to a physical place at set times. This is something that people in online learning have struggled with - it's usually exciting to begin a class, but within a couple weeks people just phase out of it, quit checking in. The simple act of having to be somewhere at a particular time every week increases retention by something like 50%.
If you dont think there are kids that skip classes, then you have never gone to college.

Plus those books are expensive, and you have to carry around. Cloud computing internet is much lighter. And you can access from anywhere, no need to carry.

A lot of college classes are literally mostly reading the required materials anyways.

There are even instructors who give you credit for attending classes, or they will secretly say something only in class that will be on the test but not in books. Is a trick they use to force kids to attend.

Or they make an announcement only in class and not via email just to screw over students not attending. I had that happen to me once. Instructor pushed up a midterm, but only told class and not via email. I should have sued the whole school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 06:29 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,202,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Plus those books are expensive, and you have to carry around. Cloud computing internet is much lighter. And you can access from anywhere, no need to carry.
You're under the impression that putting those books on paper and on bookstore shelves is the bulk of their cost? That turning them to fluffy clouds would make them any cheaper?

(For one thing... you can't resell ebooks or buy used copies.)

Old 05-03-2020, 11:32 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:
LOL do you know how much is just repetition in K-12? Do you know how most kids hate school from K-12 as it is right now? You dont learn jack K-12 besides basic reading and arithmetic. Now granted that is important but it dont take 13 years to learn it.

As for the greatest learning experience being first semester of College is only because our entire society is geared towards making it such. Gee, I wonder how societies ever function before Animal House.

LOL, F2F traditional college campus learning also fails to attract students who want to learn. They only good at attracting people who want to socialize and binge drink. Lets face it most people just are not that into academics achievements.

The reason for the huge jump in traditional college enrollment, and latter acknowledgements starting with the millennial generation is social pressure. If MOOC companies are trying to catch up/compare themselves to traditional F2F college in terms of numbers, will be difficult at this point in time.

None of those articles state how effective "teaching" can be from online. They just show how disinteresting people are in academics in general, if there is no other immediate icing on the cake.

Also, slightly off kilter, but I just wanted to add: traditional F2F should have a much higher drop out/failure rates. But our society has put such an emphasis on it, plus the huge money making student loan scheme, schools will try hard to pass even the worst students.

Schools/Professors will curve grades, create remedial classes, and just find some way to give students enough credits to just pass and save face. Heck they even accept bribes. Yes bribes. If schools like USC can accept bribes to allow first year admission, what else? Oh yes its true. You think Harvard is going to flunk the scion of their big donors (it really is just a legal form of bribery).
Well, now your argument has shifted from online to education more broadly. Does some of that stuff happen? Sure. If given the choice I imagine a lot of students wouldn't learn for learning's sake. Socrates was complaining about that.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:14 AM

10,764 posts, read 5,683,884 times
Quote:
If you dont think there are kids that skip classes, then you have never gone to college.

A lot of college classes are literally mostly reading the required materials anyways.

There are even instructors who give you credit for attending classes, or they will secretly say something only in class that will be on the test but not in books. Is a trick they use to force kids to attend.

Or they make an announcement only in class and not via email just to screw over students not attending. I had that happen to me once. Instructor pushed up a midterm, but only told class and not via email. I should have sued the whole school.
ROTFL!

God luck with that. . .

Old 05-04-2020, 10:57 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,567,820 times
Quote:

NJ Brazen, have you thought about applying to be a Dean of a major university? Based off of your posts I think you would make a good candidate. Most administrative jobs in higher education today require between 0-10 hours of work per week and pay $175K+. Something to think about.....

Old 05-04-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Most administrative jobs in higher education today require between 0-10 hours of work per week and pay $175K+.
What comic book did you get that from?

Old 05-04-2020, 11:06 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,567,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
What comic book did you get that from?
It's called, "The Reality of Higher Education Today." It is laugh-out-loud funny.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
It's called, "The Reality of Higher Education Today." It is laugh-out-loud funny.
Written by the same team as "Howta Run Gummint Like a Bidness" and "Upper Management: Who Needs 'Em?", I take it.

But you're right, there's nothing funnier than the idea that multi-billion-dollar installations with a huge multilayered employee base and subject to dozens of regulatory forces can just sort of be run by the inmates.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:44 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Not everyone is geared toward internet learning, thus there will always be a need to have classes on campus.

That said, more colleges were already doing online classes, such as the Freshman classes of U of Florida.
I asked a friend of mine who sent his daughter there, if there was any reduction of tuition, and he said no.
How on earth can they justify charging the same price even though they are providing less service and using less resources to teach kids online

`

Because for many classes, online lessons require more resources. All lectures need to be made accessible (captioning, transcripts), professors have to use different programs to accomplish what they would in a classroom setting, and there's significant support staff and IT resources required for online classes. When I did a master's program online, it was no surprise that the classes actually cost more per credit hour than in-person classes.

But most importantly, most students don't want online classes. If they wanted to study online, they would have - that's always been an option for students.

Quote:
NJ Brazen, have you thought about applying to be a Dean of a major university? Based off of your posts I think you would make a good candidate. Most administrative jobs in higher education today require between 0-10 hours of work per week and pay $175K+. Something to think about.....

That's a laugh. I am a staff member at a university and work 45-60 hours a week in a normal week. Right now? Easily 80-100 hours a week. The demands on moving online have made my team in high demand without any additional resources (and the real threat of paycuts and layoffs coming down the pike). I haven't had a night or weekend (or single day) off since late February. I'd argue most of my colleagues are about in the same boat. None of us make anywhere near 6 figures, except for a few in management and they're working right along with us worker bees.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:47 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,360,041 times
I hope so, but COVID will probably just spur it along, as it has done to other teetering industries.

Without warm bodies in seats, higher ed. was due for a downturn anyways, with declining overall enrollment. Good time to trim unnecessary fat and bring tuition down to sane levels. My kids don’t need to stay in spa resort-style dorms with rock climbing wall gyms.

I was perfectly happy with my college experience without them, and happier still not to have paid extra for them. Yes, my 1970s road motel-style dorms overlooking one shared pool was perfectly fine for all intents and purposes. And do we really need all these new layers of administrative positions in order for a university to function? Trainers of trainers, administers or administers, assistant associate Vice President deans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics