Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 11:09 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,459,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
And what will happen is that tuition in those programs will go up to reflect the true cost of instruction. Right now the tuition from the liberal arts classes is subsidizing the more expensive nursing programs.
And what does it say about the value of the nursing programs that they have to be subsidized?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 11:20 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,923,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
And what does it say about the value of the nursing programs that they have to be subsidized?
Because the value of nurses over the course of their expected nursing careers to society is enough of a positive externality over the long run to justify the higher up front cost of training that person. Same goes for a lot of other certificate to bachelor level allied health programs. And in order to meet demand for those careers, it’s a good idea to keep cost of entry low to draw people able to do the job into the field

Old 05-14-2020, 12:11 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,459,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Because the value of nurses over the course of their expected nursing careers to society is enough of a positive externality over the long run to justify the higher up front cost of training that person. Same goes for a lot of other certificate to bachelor level allied health programs. And in order to meet demand for those careers, it’s a good idea to keep cost of entry low to draw people able to do the job into the field
Not that I am a proponent of paying any more for an education than we already are, but it conceals certain truths about any major's costs, cost-effectiveness, and a student's own ROI when a school feels the need to "slush-fund" tuition payments before being disbursed to fund each program. If the programs are indeed that expensive, I am curious why they don't just assume the education will just be a longer bet before realized returns, like MD programs, and further specialization education for physicians.

As much as I hear about pitiful resident salary, high student debt for physicians, and 30 hour shifts, I also think of how nurses are paid hourly, are frequently eligible for overtime, and many RN programs are only 2 years in length. BSN and MSN are optional, and in my state, these degrees more often than not do NOT automatically earn you a raise.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:07 PM

35,196 posts, read 31,517,947 times
Quote:
Not that I am a proponent of paying any more for an education than we already are, but it conceals certain truths about any major's costs, cost-effectiveness, and a student's own ROI when a school feels the need to "slush-fund" tuition payments before being disbursed to fund each program. If the programs are indeed that expensive, I am curious why they don't just assume the education will just be a longer bet before realized returns, like MD programs, and further specialization education for physicians.

As much as I hear about pitiful resident salary, high student debt for physicians, and 30 hour shifts, I also think of how nurses are paid hourly, are frequently eligible for overtime, and many RN programs are only 2 years in length. BSN and MSN are optional, and in my state, these degrees more often than not do NOT automatically earn you a raise.
A RN in a busy hospital in a high COL can do very, very well, with a fraction of the student debt/education time of a PA/FNP, much less an MD.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:05 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,923,697 times
Quote:

Part of it is that the high cost to educate a nurse, even for a 2 year RN program, leads to public colleges limiting the number of students in a program and the for-profits not motivated to create programs for a low rate of return compared to computer programming and such, does play a role in limiting the number of new nurses every year when demand for the career is high thus driving salaries up, especially for the nurse that has gotten that first 2-3 years of post-college work in.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:07 PM

10,079 posts, read 7,287,721 times
I work for a community college with a nursing program. The reason nursing costs so much is mostly small cohort size. Each instructor only teaches about 8 students per class.

There are accreditation requirements that govern how big their classes can be. On top of that it has a lot of equipment cost. With the amount of regulation nursing comes with, it is impossible run it profitably. This is generally the case for most career & technical education.

The most profitable classes by far are the required reading/writing intensive ones that have high class size & low overhead. Psychology, sociology, etc... Even then, the support, paying full time instructors with health insurance etc... results in a lot of programs breaking even or only turning small profits. The volume does add up though, & that surplus gets directed toward subsidizing lab, equipment-intensive, or small cohort programs.

If education was profitable, businesses would be doing it & would have done it a long time ago. Why do you think for-profit colleges cost so much?

If it was possible for a school to charge a student, say, $10,000, and only spend $2000 delivering the education service, the business community would be on that like white on rice & would have built their own schools. There is not that kind of profit in it.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:34 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,025,131 times
Students/parents seem to have adapted well to the online/remote form of learning during this pandemic. Both parents/students enjoy the extra time saved from preparing/commuting in the morning and afternoon. COVID has forced people into a better form of education that people would have refused to try otherwise. Time for the schools to adapt to this new situation soon!

Old 11-28-2020, 10:58 AM

6,741 posts, read 5,984,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Students/parents seem to have adapted well to the online/remote form of learning during this pandemic. Both parents/students enjoy the extra time saved from preparing/commuting in the morning and afternoon. COVID has forced people into a better form of education that people would have refused to try otherwise. Time for the schools to adapt to this new situation soon!
Many parents, teachers, and students are reporting that Zoom just doesn't work. The kids miss the social experience, the teachers find it hard to keep them motivated, and parents are frustrated.

The worst thing is someone arriving in a new school district; very difficult to make friends.

For younger kids, being isolated is contrary to building good socialization skills.

My kid, in 10th grade, is doing poorly after being a generally good student in prior years.

The sooner we can get the children back into a normal school situation, the better.

Old 11-28-2020, 11:19 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,641,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
You could argue the social aspect of school is as important in a kids life as the actual education that takes place. Online/remote learning simply can't provide the social benefits of a regular school schedule. So even if a student performs well learning remotely they are missing the social life aspect of school. And I would argue for every student that finds learning remotely better for them there is at least just as many that do not.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:49 PM

35,353 posts, read 17,257,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

The sooner we can get the children back into a normal school situation, the better.
In New York City few of the kids went back to the classroom when the schools were (briefly) reopened. In the suburbs with better schools most did and the classrooms remained open. The educated parents will stop at nothing to get their children educated, including forming learning pods for socialization and group instruction. This will only widen inequality and disparities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics