Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 07:56 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
B. Most poeople who are broke or feel like they've underachieved financially hit life without a plan. They are passive actors in their own lives.
Passive in their own lives, yet screaming the loudest about the injustice of it all. How dare this society let them have less than someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 08:41 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Passive in their own lives, yet screaming the loudest about the injustice of it all. How dare this society let them have less than someone else.
Yelling and emotion always too often violence.

Old 09-12-2020, 08:59 AM

9,136 posts, read 6,191,523 times
To everyone who said that money is not a measure of success, I reply to them: poppycock! It may not be the sole measure of success, but it is generally considered one measure of success. To all of you living on a higher plane of existence than the rest of us, I'm glad you are at peace and feel that you have achieved more than we shall through your inner self of contentment whilst we are chasing a false god.

Many of us in the USA are the decedents of voluntary emigration. Our ancestors were unhappy people who needed major changes in their lives: social and economic. These were the risk takers and we are their progeny. These people wanted more and fought for more.

Why do those who feel contentment and inner peace is their measure of success, want to take away our measure of success: our money?

Old 09-12-2020, 11:57 AM

334 posts, read 521,003 times
For my, right now... my definition would be having more money than month.

I wouldn't say I'm super successful, but I have a wife and kids, a few pets, and nobody goes hungry and no bill collectors are looking for me

Old 09-12-2020, 08:53 PM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
To everyone who said that money is not a measure of success, I reply to them: poppycock! It may not be the sole measure of success, but it is generally considered one measure of success. To all of you living on a higher plane of existence than the rest of us, I'm glad you are at peace and feel that you have achieved more than we shall through your inner self of contentment whilst we are chasing a false god.

Many of us in the USA are the decedents of voluntary emigration. Our ancestors were unhappy people who needed major changes in their lives: social and economic. These were the risk takers and we are their progeny. These people wanted more and fought for more.

Why do those who feel contentment and inner peace is their measure of success, want to take away our measure of success: our money?
I agree with you relative to those who appear to deny success is (most often) measured by money. However, I think it's reasonable to expand (a general definition of) success into a combination of 'inner peace/love/compassion/whatever' as well as money - particularly if, by doing so, we're defining happiness (as many appear to be) rather than success in and of itself. In other words, can one truly be successful if they aren't happy?

Old 09-12-2020, 08:58 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:

Money can absolutely be a measure of success. I didn’t say it isn’t. I’m just saying people can have success without money.

Old 09-12-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I’m just saying people can have success without money.
How can one be successful without (an honest way in which to earn) money? Money is the entire point/reason we seek successful employment.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 09-12-2020 at 09:15 PM..

Old 09-13-2020, 07:17 AM

518 posts, read 401,726 times
Quote:

I don't think I read that money is not a measure. Money is part of success There are other things that are truly more important than money or lots of it.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:18 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,967,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWidow View Post
I don't think I read that money is not a measure. Money is part of success There are other things that are truly more important than money or lots of it.
Absolutely. I'm learning that the hard way this year. From a statistics point of view; your income and education is how others gauge your "level of success." However, when looking at it from a personal point of view, "success" can have a very complex meaning. Although a minimum level of income (which varies based on the persons opinion) is required for an individual to feel successful; other factors can easily define and/or play a bigger factor in defining success.

Here is my recent story. This year I have already made multiples of the highest level of income I could have dreamed of achieving by the time I retire (mid 30's and slated to retire at 46). My physical life is easier then ever and I had been researching many different investment/business opportunities to increase my income further. However, my one motivation and factor that personally made me feel "successful" is having my wife in my life. In fact, it is my biggest factor. She just told me she is leaving me 1.5 weeks ago and left the house 11 days ago. Considering she was my biggest definition of success (relationship with a wonderful woman); I feel like an utter failure at the moment. So much so that I'm seriously considering quitting my job, stopping all active investments and living off my money until I run out. Nothing that can happen short of her coming back would make me feel even "remotely successful." So personal definition of success can vary wildly from individual to individual.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Absolutely. I'm learning that the hard way this year. From a statistics point of view; your income and education is how others gauge your "level of success." However, when looking at it from a personal point of view, "success" can have a very complex meaning. Although a minimum level of income (which varies based on the persons opinion) is required for an individual to feel successful; other factors can easily define and/or play a bigger factor in defining success.
Success is really not that 'complex', from my perspective - particularly because, not in spite, of various factors in an individual's personal definition tend to be rather limited, at the end of the day. Almost all combine some level of professional success/money with personal i.e. a significant other, a girlfriend, friends, a passion, whatever. When it comes down to it, most would define success in the same (general) way i.e. 'happiness'; it's simply a matter of (personal) details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Here is my recent story. This year I have already made multiples of the highest level of income I could have dreamed of achieving by the time I retire (mid 30's and slated to retire at 46). My physical life is easier then ever and I had been researching many different investment/business opportunities to increase my income further. However, my one motivation and factor that personally made me feel "successful" is having my wife in my life. In fact, it is my biggest factor. She just told me she is leaving me 1.5 weeks ago and left the house 11 days ago. Considering she was my biggest definition of success (relationship with a wonderful woman); I feel like an utter failure at the moment. So much so that I'm seriously considering quitting my job, stopping all active investments and living off my money until I run out. Nothing that can happen short of her coming back would make me feel even "remotely successful." So personal definition of success can vary wildly from individual to individual.
That said, I'm sorry to hear about your wife leaving you. I can't imagine to understand what you're going through; but you don't appear to be acting rationally i.e. your success/failure does not rest on a woman who walked out of your life. No matter how we define it, we are responsible for our own success (and failures). You cannot blame (what you feel is) your lack of success on anyone; but rather, do you see how 'giving up' is what would be the root of your (ultimate) failure (as you describe above), not her?

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 09-16-2020 at 09:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics