Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 03:49 PM

6,510 posts, read 3,196,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
If they haven't reported the rents as income (accrual basis) then there is no bad debt deduction available. Their tax deduction would be the expenses they incurred along the way.
But you understand my point, that the landlords are getting screwed over, right?

Old 06-23-2021, 03:56 PM

2,755 posts, read 1,795,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
But you understand my point, that the landlords are getting screwed over, right?
Royally. Unfortunately no one in government seems to care, they'd rather pander to the masses and keep extending the eviction moratorium.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:57 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,994,809 times
Quote:
What "nice options" do property owners get that renters don't?
Equity? Ability to add, remove or paint? Deductions?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-23-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Equity is not an option, its what they have because they chose to put their capital into a property. WHo knows where the renter put their capital, but that's their choice.

Ability to add, remove or paint? You mean the obligation to repair and maintain the property so they can hopefully earn money from their investment?

Deductions? You mean being able to lower their income from the property by the money they spend to operate it or depreciate the capital investment? It's a business, is that a "nice option" for a restaurant to be able to deduct the cost of food and compensation to cooks and servers? Maybe the government can issue a moratorium on prosecuting people who dine and dash sine restaurants have such nice options.

Old 06-23-2021, 04:35 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,994,809 times
Quote:
Equity is not an option, its what they have because they chose to put their capital into a property. WHo knows where the renter put their capital, but that's their choice.

Ability to add, remove or paint? You mean the obligation to repair and maintain the property so they can hopefully earn money from their investment?

Deductions? You mean being able to lower their income from the property by the money they spend to operate it or depreciate the capital investment? It's a business, is that a "nice option" for a restaurant to be able to deduct the cost of food and compensation to cooks and servers? Maybe the government can issue a moratorium on prosecuting people who dine and dash sine restaurants have such nice options.
I was talking about homeowners. Looking back it looks like they were talking about the landlords?

I had two rental properties for about a decade, most renters could barely afford the rent, let alone invest. My property doubled in value. It did great things for my taxes.

I had another in San Fran for a year, that went awesome and I made a bundle and only kept it for a year.

I would much rather be the property owner then the renter, but my home and rentals were all in very high COLAs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-23-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I was talking about homeowners. Looking back it looks like they were talking about the landlords?

I had two rental properties for about a decade, most renters could barely afford the rent, let alone invest. My property doubled in value. It did great things for my taxes.

I had another in San Fran for a year, that went awesome and I made a bundle and only kept it for a year.

I would much rather be the property owner then the renter, but my home and rentals were all in very high COLAs.
I think they were talking about landlords as well.

Owning rental property can work out, but it's a job and isn't necessarily easy money. You're also taking risk that the property doesn't rent or the area goes downhill and the value declines or the tenant trashes the place and skips out on you. Lots of things can go wrong.

Like any other investment, there is risk.

Old 06-23-2021, 05:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,779 posts, read 58,241,105 times
Quote:
Owners get to exercise...
Responsibility

To creditors, tax authorities, legal systems,.... And especially to tenants!

Old 06-23-2021, 05:55 PM

6,081 posts, read 3,798,460 times
Quote:
They get to provide the renters a place to live for FREE for about 18 months. Isn't that a "nice option"?

Last edited by Chas863; 06-23-2021 at 07:11 PM..

Old 06-23-2021, 06:49 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,680,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
While I think CA government is insane and has been for some time, why should renters get a free ride on the backs of landlords?
`
The original theory was that evicted renters would go elsewhere & stay with family/friends, possibly in another state -- and that this would be a vector for virus transmission, making the pandemic worse.

But now that everyone who wants the vaccine has received an injection, I find the original argument no longer to be valid.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:51 PM

5,512 posts, read 4,488,708 times
Quote:
They get to make a lot of the policies. If they ever want live there again, they can always kick the tenants out when the lease ends. You pay taxes, but rent is sometimes set to cover for property taxes. When I rented out my property, it easily covered the mortgage (although condo fees and property taxes were on me. Along with repairs. But some of them were written off at tax time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
But your over simplistic statement overlooks something...the landlord provides a "service", in exchange for rent money. The service includes a roof over the tenants head, running water, and electricity. Currently, the Government has stepped in and said that the landlord cannot evict the tenant for non payment of rent.....but the landlord is still expected to provide a roof, water, and electricity, AND PAY FOR IT OUT OF HIS OWN POCKET.

This Covid fiasco has been going on for close to 18 months, and for the sake of simplicity, let's say that the average, decent sized apartment rents for $1000/month. That means the average landlord is out $18,000. How many renters, do you think, will either be honest enough, or better yet, have that $18,000 to pay the landlord, when the "rent vacation" legally comes to an end? This means that a LOT of landlords are going to be "taking it in the shorts". Will they at least be able to take a tax deduction for this loss??

This is absolutely nuts!!
Truth be told, the government can save a lot of money by cutting back on both essential and nonessential services. People get injured for VERY STUPID reasons, but we do try to save their lives.

What would the solution have been? If you evict the tenants, do you really believe that other tenants would be lining up to rent when many were in the same situation of having their jobs on hold (this is a serious question)? We'd still need to deal with those who got evicted anyways. LL are getting their money back. There are still a lot of issues, but we had, and STILL ARE in the midst of a pandemic. Make no mistake about it, life is NOT returning back to pre-COVID times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics