Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 08:00 AM

10,608 posts, read 5,701,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
four million people quit their jobs in April 2021 according the the BLS.
That's a good thing, right?

Almost all of those four million people switched jobs. That is, the job market is good & they found new jobs that they prefer - perhaps higher compensation, perhaps more responsibility, perhaps a better work environment, perhaps a better commute, etc.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Imagine being a renter who did everything they could to make the rent. And neighbor partied and blew off the rent and now they get it all paid for. That would infuriate me.
Sadly, gaming the system occurs in many areas of life.

I recall, many decades ago, looking at books in a college book store, and reading the jacket of one book that was a first person account of attending Harvard Business School (HBS). He had scrimped & saved to pay for his tuition, room & board; on his first day on campus, he saw many of his peers were driving brand new shiny BMWs & Mercedes Benzes. He learned from them that they spent down all of their money on things such as new BMWs so they would receive financial aid to attend HBS.

There's a saying among top business school students: There's no BS like HBS.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
At least here (Sacramento County) it is sent directly to the landlord, I'm not sure where/why it would be sent to the tenant?
You must be referring to something other than the Federal Stimulus checks, Unemployment checks, and bonus Unemployment checks.

Old 06-28-2021, 10:32 AM

10,402 posts, read 8,639,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Things aren't as bleak as you make them out to be.

Many states, including yours (Georgia), have laws protecting homeowners from prosecution when protecting their lives or homes. See 16-3-23:

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia...r-3/article-2/

As for a lawsuit, some homeowners policies have a self defense exception to the intentional acts exclusion and some courts have ruled the same. You'll have to do your own research on that.
Yes but not all s states have laws like that. To me it’s common sense that should be universally applied. Add that many people don’t agree thAt deadly force should ever be used to protect oneself. I’ve seen posters here that readily support the perpetrator and endorse the idea that the victims be sued or prosecuted.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:44 PM

8,154 posts, read 7,541,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
four million people quit their jobs in April 2021 according the the BLS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
That's a good thing, right?

Almost all of those four million people switched jobs. That is, the job market is good & they found new jobs that they prefer - perhaps higher compensation, perhaps more responsibility, perhaps a better work environment, perhaps a better commute, etc.

It's not always good. A tavern near us has stopped serving food because all their kitchen staff quit (all 3 of them) and they can't hire replacements fast enough at a price they can afford. Another restaurant near us is only open 4 days a week now because of staff shortages.

WalMart, McDonald's, and the large restaurant chains -- the ones that were not forced to shut down last year -- can pay whatever is demanded. The Mom & Pop's are left to struggle at a time when we are supposed to be reopening. But it's great for Wall Street.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:55 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,044,318 times
It’s 80% of the balance which is bs. The landlords should get the full amount.

IMO the government had no right to halt evictions in the first place; let alone this long.

Landlords don’t let people get behind in rent because they know they’ll seldom get the money if they do.

Old 06-28-2021, 01:59 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,232,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
It’s 80% of the balance which is bs. The landlords should get the full amount.

IMO the government had no right to halt evictions in the first place; let alone this long.

Landlords don’t let people get behind in rent because they know they’ll seldom get the money if they do.
Landlords should get $0, yes $0. American Taxpayers shouldn’t be bailing out those Vampires. Let them all go bankrupt.

Old 06-28-2021, 02:26 PM

19,988 posts, read 18,290,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Sadly, gaming the system occurs in many areas of life.

I recall, many decades ago, looking at books in a college book store, and reading the jacket of one book that was a first person account of attending Harvard Business School (HBS). He had scrimped & saved to pay for his tuition, room & board; on his first day on campus, he saw many of his peers were driving brand new shiny BMWs & Mercedes Benzes. He learned from them that they spent down all of their money on things such as new BMWs so they would receive financial aid to attend HBS.

There's a saying among top business school students: There's no BS like HBS.

There's a little piece of land for sale really close, "as the crow flies" to Apple HQ. I want to buy it........imagine now sewer, no power, no city-water, pot plants everywhere nearby but from this little bit of land look west and the view is Monterey Bay, look east and the view is at least 100 (probably many more) miles inland.

They lady who was going to sell it to me backed out because she became aware that freeing up the asset would cost her - her kids decreased tuition status at Cal schools. I left a few escrow dollars on the land so we'll see in a few years. The sad fact is most people cheat when they can.

Old 06-28-2021, 02:41 PM

5,909 posts, read 4,459,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Landlords should get $0, yes $0. American Taxpayers shouldn’t be bailing out those Vampires. Let them all go bankrupt.
I’m not sure why I’d bother with you, but landlords are taxpayers. And wouldn’t the vampires be the people using and putting wear on other peoples property while agreeing to pay for the privilege but then not paying?

Old 06-28-2021, 03:23 PM

107,213 posts, read 109,563,580 times
Spot on .

As usual c2bp has a skewed view of the world outside his head
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics