Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 09:22 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,049,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles765 View Post
I’m that renter. We paid our rent on time every month except for the very beginning of last April right at the beginning. But I informed the landlord on March 20 that foresaw there being an issue and I would do whatever we could to pay him as much as I could as soon as I could. He was understanding and waived all late fees. Then my parents surprised us and offered to pay April and May for us so we wouldn’t be stressed. They did this on April 9. But then unemployment and stimulus started coming in so we stayed up to date, and still had money left over for stuff for the dog, paying off old bills—my credit score went from 570 last March to 689 now.
Our neighbors took advantage of the situation and stopped paying.
Honestly, I don’t care if someone games the system. No one should be thrown out of their home during a pandemic unless they are violent or dangerous. It would have led to more calamity. And if the money is getting paid why does it matter where it came from. I don’t think of this as having anything to do with someone who did pay and did do everything right. It’s none of my business whether someone gamed the system and had the state pay it off. That doesn’t affect me because I would make the same choices I did anyway.
It does affect you.

You’re helping to pay your neighbors rent and get to do so knowing he’s gaming the system.

Old 07-05-2021, 06:36 AM

6,617 posts, read 3,266,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
It does affect you.

You’re helping to pay your neighbors rent and get to do so knowing he’s gaming the system.
Indeed. I respect "Achilles765's" attitude, but I can't agree with his sentiments regarding the "deadbeats". I'm a homeowner and a taxpayer, and it annoys me no end, that I'll be subsidizing those people for a long time. And it's even worse, that now people could go back to work and earn an HONEST living, but won't. PLUS these "slackers" are preventing the economy from getting back to some semblance of normalcy, as business can't fully re-open, due to lack of workers. They worked before, they should go back to their original jobs, ASAP.

Old 07-05-2021, 08:18 AM

39,948 posts, read 26,667,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Royally. Unfortunately no one in government seems to care, they'd rather pander to the masses and keep extending the eviction moratorium.
Two things need to happen. First, this whole thing needs to go to court. I question what right or authority the idiots in government had to mandate that landlords provide living locations rent-free for a year and a half to deadbeats? Funny but I don't recall ever seeing that in the Constitution.

2nd, landlords need to be able to go after those deadbeats to collect the rent they were owed. This should include garnishing of wages or benefits to make the landlords whole.

3rd....if this does to court and it is found that the government had no such constitutional authority-those in power that made the decision need to lose qualified immunity and be forced to pay the costs to the landlords personally. Will their assets be enough to pay all that is owed? No. But perhaps bankrupting some of these fools and making THEM homeless will change the behavior of others that chose to abuse their powers.

Old 07-05-2021, 11:34 AM

15,722 posts, read 7,731,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Two things need to happen. First, this whole thing needs to go to court. I question what right or authority the idiots in government had to mandate that landlords provide living locations rent-free for a year and a half to deadbeats? Funny but I don't recall ever seeing that in the Constitution.

2nd, landlords need to be able to go after those deadbeats to collect the rent they were owed. This should include garnishing of wages or benefits to make the landlords whole.

3rd....if this does to court and it is found that the government had no such constitutional authority-those in power that made the decision need to lose qualified immunity and be forced to pay the costs to the landlords personally. Will their assets be enough to pay all that is owed? No. But perhaps bankrupting some of these fools and making THEM homeless will change the behavior of others that chose to abuse their powers.
Not in Texas. Garnishing of wages for debt is illegal in Texas.

QI is not going to be removed by any court for this. At most, the eviction moratoriums would be seen as a taking, and the government would have to pay the landlords. Which is what's happening in California.

Old 07-05-2021, 01:08 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,049,190 times
Quote:

Two and three won’t happen.

They won’t get their money from these people. That’s why landlords don’t let you get far behind.

They won’t lose QI.

Old 07-06-2021, 05:17 AM

Quote:

I must be in somewhat of a minority....I fully agree with you.

Old 07-06-2021, 06:17 AM

9,975 posts, read 7,875,819 times
Quote:
I’m that renter. We paid our rent on time every month except for the very beginning of last April right at the beginning. But I informed the landlord on March 20 that foresaw there being an issue and I would do whatever we could to pay him as much as I could as soon as I could. He was understanding and waived all late fees. Then my parents surprised us and offered to pay April and May for us so we wouldn’t be stressed. They did this on April 9. But then unemployment and stimulus started coming in so we stayed up to date, and still had money left over for stuff for the dog, paying off old bills—my credit score went from 570 last March to 689 now.
Honestly, I don’t care if someone games the system. No one should be thrown out of their home during a pandemic unless they are violent or dangerous. It would have led to more calamity. And if the money is getting paid why does it matter where it came from. I don’t think of this as having anything to do with someone who did pay and did do everything right. It’s none of my business whether someone gamed the system and had the state pay it off. That doesn’t affect me because I would make the same choices I did anyway.
What's your other posts about then, where your landlord terminated your lease and you haven't paid since a half month in December even with $17,000 in the bank?

Old 07-06-2021, 08:27 AM

10,608 posts, read 5,714,016 times
Quote:
No one should be thrown out of their home during a pandemic unless they are violent or dangerous.
I don't think anyone was thrown out of their home during the pandemic for failure to pay. Such a thing would make the headlines, and I don't recall seeing it.

Anyone know of actual examples of tenants being thrown out?

Old 07-10-2021, 04:54 AM

30,766 posts, read 18,481,819 times
Quote:
That is all good and well (and I applaud you for continuing to pay your rent), but keep in mind that many good LLs will be getting out of the business because of people not paying, while others will greatly tighten up their qualifications. Decent properties, I wager, will be harder and harder to come by for working class tenants. That will impact a lot of people in terms of quality of life, etc.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That is all good and well (and I applaud you for continuing to pay your rent), but keep in mind that many good LLs will be getting out of the business because of people not paying, while others will greatly tighten up their qualifications. Decent properties, I wager, will be harder and harder to come by for working class tenants. That will impact a lot of people in terms of quality of life, etc.
I agree. Being a landlord is a "for profit business", not a charity.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics