Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:52 PM

943 posts, read 2,282,554 times

Advertisements

Good post hindsight. Said quite well.

Look at Brazil to know our future here.

America is being knocked down to third world status. {no I do not like it, and feel very sad about it}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 07:01 PM

943 posts, read 2,282,554 times
Quote:
y true. People are too dependent on overpriced products, or the next fad lifestyle or fad concept. Instead of being self sufficient. People dont know how to do anything anymore. Marketers and experts tell them what to do.

I agree, theres a ridiculous amount of waste going on. Whether buying an iphone on the first day at an inflated price, or $3-4 starbucks coffee.
I agree, this is one of the biggest problems out there.

Sometimes all you got to do is walk through some cheap Dollar store, to just see the JUNK and the WASTE.
Quote:
The student loan issue has gotten pretty serious.

Student Debt Grows Dramatically - WSJ.com

2/3 of college students borrow to pay for school, with an average debt of $23 k. In areas of high rents and low paying jobs, this is crazy. 30 years ago, your earnings overcame your debt, and you were building real savings.
I agree it is crazy, that is in many cases equal to the young person's entire salary for whole first year.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:50 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,732,783 times
Where do I live.... you make some very good points here...especially about living in an apartment without land. However, I simply never "buy" into the concept of the "learning bad habits from your parents' examples". My parents made bad decisions....they did. I looked at those things and said, "That just isn't right! I'M not gonna do that!" We all have role models from whom we learn. We are the ones who choose which of those role models we learn from. My mother is highly intelligent and skilled in a couple of areas, even though she only completed the 8th grade. However, in many ways, she is clueless and very limited in her skills.

I learned from her life and from many others around me, many things. A lot of what I learned from their examples is what NOT to do. I learned from their weaknesses and mistakes. One of the life lessons that I have learned is that MOST of us are created equal. Now, before anyone jumps on that statement with a bunch of negativisms, let me clarify. Some people are either born with a silver spoon in their mouths or fall into a situation where they have an abundance of financial resources. Many of those people develop one set of skills. They are dependant on others to do all of the things that they can't or don't want to do for themselves. There are others who choose to learn (and there are MANY free resources out there for those who WANT to learn) how to do nearly everything for themselves. These people don't need nearly as much money to survive, because they aren't paying others to do what they can't do for themselves. Thus, those who know how to do for themselves are (IMHO) far more wealthy (for their knowledge), than those who simply have a bank account.

When the one career you counted on to get you through, turns bottoms up, you should always have a wide skill set to tide you through the tough times. I do realize that it's not the same in a big city, where the competition is extremely high for jobs, however, it is pitiful what some people will NOT do for a living. It is ridiculous how some people consider jobs "beneath" them. You know, if you can't make it on the job you're working at....perhaps you should take a second part-time job! (if your health allows it).

Back to the subject of student loans..... If the students who take out those loans ONLY used those loans to pay for their education and the absolute necessities of life, many of them wouldn't have to take out nearly as many of them. Do you know how many of these people (and I'm NOT just talking about kids here!), take their student loans and buy a new stereo for the car, a new television set, new furniture, new wardrobes, go partying with the money and flunk out of college? They get the money and think (even for a short time) that it's FREE money!?....that they can get another one next quarter......next year? etc. Most of these people don't get the loans and PUT IT IN THE BANK!!....only use what they absolutely have to use. If a lot of those "loanees" put it away, bought stuff to make lunches, only used it for their necessities, they would have a bit of a padding if they couldn't find a job right away. Again, I've seen it so many times. I've actually seen married women, going to college, with husbands who are making a good living ....take out student loans, JUST because they COULD!.....just because it was available to them at a low interest rate, and then use it for really stupid crap. Meanwhile, they were eating breakfast and lunch at the college cafeteria, buying multiple coffees at the espresso stand, etc. .....to the tune of at LEAST $20 per day? I'm sorry, it's just pure and simple wastefulness.

Perhaps it's a good thing our country is going through this financial crunch. So many Americans have lived with a ridiculous sense of entitlement for so long, that SOMETHING like this was bound to happen.....NEEDED to happen, in order to snap us back to reality! So many people think they're WORTH $60,000 + per year......for doing WHAT!? I know so very many people who have jobs which require them to do practically nothing all day and yet they expect to be paid a fortune....meanwhile, those who work the hardest, make the least! I see people looking into careers which require them to sit on their butts all day...but these same people "have" to be able to afford a gym membership in order to get/stay in shape. These same people are depressed and miserable because they've chosen career paths simply for the $$$$$ .....not because they have a passion for what they're doing...hence, they need a great healthcare plan to pay for their anti-depressants and therapy as well. LOL...... I've certainly gotten off on a tangeant here haven't I? Sorry for that.... but sometimes I think these wake-up calls are necessary. If we don't like the way our lives are going.... make some changes. We're so spoiled and lazy....and have such a warped sense of reality, based on what someone else is feeding into our heads. kay.....I'm done for now. :-)

Old 09-11-2009, 08:01 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,474,527 times
If legal and illegal immigrants can come to America with nothing and carve out a nice life for themselves in short order why can't Americans do it? A lack of worth ethic? An unwillingness to adapt or learn new skills? A sense of entitlement? Bad genes?

Old 09-11-2009, 08:09 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,732,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If legal and illegal immigrants can come to America with nothing and carve out a nice life for themselves in short order why can't Americans do it? A lack of worth ethic? An unwillingness to adapt or learn new skills? A sense of entitlement? Bad genes?
LOL...... I don't know about the bad genes part, but I'd say you're right on with the other stuff. Let's look at what you said there though... "A sense of entitlement"...from which the lack of work ethic and an unwillingness to adapt or learn new skills...stems! It's that sense of entitlement that gives us the lack of work ethic AND an unwillingness to adapt and learn new skills.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:19 AM

238 posts, read 729,430 times
Quote:

Comfort which at times dovetails into laziness. Seriously, when a legal or illegal immigrant lands in America, their focus to work (most of them) and succeed is very strong. However, after a few years of living in America, some will continue to work hard until they achieve their goals, and some will deviate from their goals and simulate their American neighbors, thus becoming comfortable and yeah....lazy!

Old 09-11-2009, 12:02 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,928,226 times
Quote:
you only hear the success stories, but there are failures as well and people go back home. as well, many legal immigrants have pooled their money and come in with assets which certainly helps them in terms of start up funds for business.

as far as illegals, there are a lot of non-success stories out there. for starters, look at all the gang proliferation or incarceration rates for illegal immigrants.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:14 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,206,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
One of the life lessons that I have learned is that MOST of us are created equal. Now, before anyone jumps on that statement with a bunch of negativisms, let me clarify. Some people are either born with a silver spoon in their mouths or fall into a situation where they have an abundance of financial resources. Many of those people develop one set of skills. They are dependant on others to do all of the things that they can't or don't want to do for themselves.
You underestimate the value of capital control in a labor contract.

Quote:
There are others who choose to learn (and there are MANY free resources out there for those who WANT to learn) how to do nearly everything for themselves.
Some things can be done for yourself, I agree. People will pay $200 to someone at Geeksquad for a system restore, which is just unfathomable. However, many things have capital demands. You cant garden if you lack land.

Quote:
These people don't need nearly as much money to survive, because they aren't paying others to do what they can't do for themselves. Thus, those who know how to do for themselves are (IMHO) far more wealthy (for their knowledge), than those who simply have a bank account.
General knowledge doesnt generally pay the bills. Its good for stretching pennies further.

Quote:
When the one career you counted on to get you through, turns bottoms up, you should always have a wide skill set to tide you through the tough times. I do realize that it's not the same in a big city, where the competition is extremely high for jobs, however, it is pitiful what some people will NOT do for a living.
I dont think its always a case of wont, its a case of cant. I will not flip burgers for a living, because $7.25 will not afford anything that could be described as a "living" in my home town.

Quote:
It is ridiculous how some people consider jobs "beneath" them. You know, if you can't make it on the job you're working at....perhaps you should take a second part-time job! (if your health allows it).
Why is the solution for average Joe to do more for less? I never got that.

Quote:
Back to the subject of student loans..... If the students who take out those loans ONLY used those loans to pay for their education and the absolute necessities of life, many of them wouldn't have to take out nearly as many of them.
I agree, some kids are in way more debt then neccessary. However, even at a low end state school, it cost nearly 50k for a four year degree, just books and tuition. Forget about room and board or anything else. It is completely reasonable that, even contributing money made from working, that the average kid would easily be in 10-25k in debt when graduating.

Imagine being on a 5 or 10 year repayment schedule coming out of school making 10 bucks an hour and being 25k in debt

Quote:
Perhaps it's a good thing our country is going through this financial crunch. So many Americans have lived with a ridiculous sense of entitlement for so long, that SOMETHING like this was bound to happen.....NEEDED to happen, in order to snap us back to reality! So many people think they're WORTH $60,000 + per year......for doing WHAT!?
People dont come up with that 60k out of thin air, or any other figure.

Generally, they look at several things

1. How costly and time consuming their education is, and how much debt they are in from obtaining it

2. The cost of living in their area

3. The standard of living the previous generation had at their age

4. The standard of living comparitable people in their field have

5. The amount of money that is being made off their back, and going in to the millions of dollars their bosses are being paid.

What is reality for you? Average Joe should pick up two or three jobs, dispite spending 6 years and 10's of thousands of dollars on school and training, while the plutocracy robs his standard of living and puts it in to a private island? Youve got to be kidding me.

People these days only want what our past generations had. Simply growing up, not getting arrested, and doing the right thing is pretty much a ticket to a decent life.

Now the decent life, in many cases, involves a wall full of expensive degrees and certifications.

Quote:
I know so very many people who have jobs which require them to do practically nothing all day and yet they expect to be paid a fortune....meanwhile, those who work the hardest, make the least!
This is a symptom of capitalism. Those who do the most to accumulate wealth and protect it are often the highest rewarded. Worker bees, which includes most people who do not have "manager" or "president" in their job title are viewed to have no real impact on the bottom line, and in most cases, fully replaceable.

Quote:
I see people looking into careers which require them to sit on their butts all day...
Do you blame them? Who wants to be a logger making 30k a year and risking your life when you can be an administrative assistant and pull down the same thing or more.

Quote:
These same people are depressed and miserable because they've chosen career paths simply for the $$$$$ .....not because they have a passion for what they're doing...
Unfortunatley, there is only so much room for professional painters, writers, video game testers, and pro athletes in the world. The reality is, most people get up and go to work for the check. Theyd rather be doing almost anything else.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:16 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,206,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
you only hear the success stories, but there are failures as well and people go back home. as well, many legal immigrants have pooled their money and come in with assets which certainly helps them in terms of start up funds for business.

as far as illegals, there are a lot of non-success stories out there. for starters, look at all the gang proliferation or incarceration rates for illegal immigrants.
This is a good quote. People like to point to the hardship stories, but how many immigrants or disadvantage kids come here or grow up to be burger flippers, convicts, or shot.

I bet for every one wealthy person coming out of the ghetto, 1000 were arrested, shot, or just as broke as their parents. Same with immigrants.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
And you also have to look at the fact that employers get away with paying illegals very low pay under the table. In order to survive at that level of pay, many many illegals live in conditions none of us would think of like 10-20 people to a 2 bedroom apt or multiple families in a single family home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics