Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:42 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
The Secular School Temple.
I got this idea from another post. Why don't schools celebrate secular seasonal changed? I wondered, why don't schools have secular temples that do not favor one religion over another as a way to allow school support of religions without causing separation of church and state fights?
I'm guessing they're too busy and too financially stretched already, what with teaching chemistry, reading, and American History.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 11:46 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
It still isn't the right word.

Are there any such philosophies? Traits like kindness, patience, and diligence are already encouraged and celebrated at schools. Many people agree that those are good things. But philosophies, whether they are religious or not, try to explain where those traits come from and why they are important. So the philosophies won't be in common, even though the religious and the secular may agree that certain things are good.
Now you're going to leave out the Satanists. And that's one group you probably don't want to **** off.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:37 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,288,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Now you're going to leave out the Satanists. And that's one group you probably don't want to **** off.
At first I wrote, "Most people . . . " but softened it to "Many . . . ," for those opposed to such "nice" traits.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:32 AM

378 posts, read 576,699 times
I thought Satanists and Atheists were interchangeable.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:00 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Many private/prep schools actually do hold regular assemblies of a secular nature (if they're not already parochial, and when they are, they typically have regular faith-based assemblies, or at least ones held in chapels, even if they're not overtly church-related assemblies). Most public schools have enough on their plate without adding this additional component to the mix, however. And since weekly or daily "town hall meetings" aren't traditionally a part of American public schooling, it's doubtful that they'd be particularly embraced, esp. by middle to high school aged students, who traditionally spend all their time screwing off at assemblies, anyway.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:12 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
I thought Satanists and Atheists were interchangeable.
Seriously? Atheists don't believe in Satan anymore than they believe in any god at all. Satan is actually part of Christianity, not atheism.

Now, the Church of Satan with LeVay claims to be atheist, but if they actually believe in Satan, they are not atheists.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:48 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,204 times
Quote:
But I will also ask you, why not?
1. Religion is a personal and private belief - period. Contrary to what seems to be popular now with "anything and everything goes! Let's broadcast it publicly! Who cares?" there are still those who believe that how a person worships is entirely their own business. Schools are involved in enough private matters now IMO (which segues nicely into...)

2. They're spending entirely too much time teaching things that should be taught at home such as conflict resolution, healthful eating, and other relatively personal and intrusive (IMO) topics. While I realize that a lot of children don't get those things at home, mine do, and I rather resent having to spend time drilling math facts into their heads while the schools spend time telling them how to eat properly.

3. Talk about pot-stirring when it comes to those who are devout to one religion explaining to their kids how the other kids are just plain wrong when it comes to their families' beliefs around the kitchen table at night. Aren't there enough wars over religion now? Is it not a matter of reality that a child may go back to school and tell another child "You're wrong about God you know."

Personally, I'm agnostic. I don't believe it can be proven or disproven - hence the reason one must have faith. Still, I have plenty of friends and family who are devout - or not. I respect their rights to believe in whatever they want as long as they do NOT try and convert me - if that's the case, then we'll have a problem.

Having said that, I find it pathetic that some of my friends have had to call their bible study "book work" out of fear that the 'appearance' of bible study will give the impression they are bible thumpers. This is supposed to be a free country (incidentally, which also means freedom FROM religion).

Personally, I feel that it's none of my business either way, yet time and time again, I see people who condescendingly look down the tips of their noses at the 'poor unenlightened lost lamb' who needs to be brought to the flock. No thanks. So what do my agnostic children do while time is being spent on whatever form of prayer allowed? Twiddle their thumbs?

I think this bossy country's in enough personal business. I think religion should stay a private personal matter, and certainly shouldn't be in a public school in any form.

Last edited by cebdark; 04-28-2011 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 04-28-2011, 03:04 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
The Secular School Temple.
I got this idea from another post. Why don't schools celebrate secular seasonal changed? I wondered, why don't schools have secular temples that do not favor one religion over another as a way to allow school support of religions without causing separation of church and state fights?

I see three functions of the secular temple.

The daily or weekly philosophical speech by the principle of the school to the student body to replace sermons about the bible. There is a lot of common ground between Theists and Atheists. Why not use the temple as a chance to bring religions together? Plus the principle should be capable of such speeches if he or she is capable of leading a school.

As an open prayer room. Does a Christian teacher want to lead a prayer for a group of students? That's find. Muslims can do the same. Atheists can choose to avoid it if they aren't interested. As long as no one is forced to sit through a group prayer, I do not see the harm done.

A space to hold secular celebrations with the changing of the seasons. The school can have its own traditions and everyone enjoys some time off.

But why should we have secular temples? Because religion is a touchy subject and a lot of people want to carry their religion into school with them. A secular temple gives them a chance to do so openly.

But I will also ask you, why not?
Because freedom of religion also include freedom FROM religion for children who are atheist or agnostic.

Second, NO ONE CAN STOP CHILDREN FROM PRAYING IN SCHOOL. So if a group of children want to have a prayer in a corner of the library or in the quad during lunch they can. What cannot happen is the school fostering any religion whatsoever. That is what violates the separation of church and state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education