Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times

Advertisements

Study: 60% of Texas students are expelled or suspended | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

I wonder how this correlates to single parent family situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 09:12 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I had never seen tickets for misdemeanors issued until we moved to Texas. It's not done anywhere in the north that I know of. I think it is weird to get the police involved in school behavior unless it is a serious charge.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:42 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I had never seen tickets for misdemeanors issued until we moved to Texas. It's not done anywhere in the north that I know of. I think it is weird to get the police involved in school behavior unless it is a serious charge.
Never seen tickets issued for DUI?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Never seen tickets issued for DUI?
I am not talking about DUI. I am talking about tickets issued in schools for student misbehavior. DUI tickets are NOT issued in the school, but on the roads where the DUI takes place.

Schools Giving Tickets, Not Detention Slips, Report Says « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Quote:
The social and economic group Texas Appleseed collected five years worth of data from 22 districts across the state and found young students, including a six year old in Dallas, who received class C misdemeanor tickets for things like disrupting class, leaving school early and school yard brawls that didn’t include weapons.

“Dallas ISD was one of the districts that had a very large number of elementary school students that were issued class C misdemeanors,” said Deborah Fowler, of Texas Appleseed.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:40 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I hope you realize that report includes infractions such as dress code violations. A child whose pants sag too low may be sent home - which would count as a "suspension."

I am willing to bet that the vast majority of the more serious suspensions occur in the main school districts in Dallas, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. These school districts contain a much higher number of "inner city" kids than others do.

I one more child to get through high school in typical suburban school district. We know a few kids who have been in "ISS" (in school suspension), a few sent home for various issues, and I have heard of a few expulsions over the years. But 60%? Not any where close.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 PM

55 posts, read 100,337 times
nah..that report has to be wrong..and students know the dress code and the administrators give them chances. Ive even seen one assistant principal pass out belts and pieces of rope to tie up their pants!

As for the tickets, they are issued for fighting and cussing at teachers/administrators. They deserve what they get.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I am not talking about DUI. I am talking about tickets issued in schools for student misbehavior. DUI tickets are NOT issued in the school, but on the roads where the DUI takes place.

Schools Giving Tickets, Not Detention Slips, Report Says « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth
Sorry, I took it at face value when you said "misdemeanor".

For whatever it's worth, I, my entire family and all of my oldest friends went to school through 12th grade in Texas and I have never seen or heard (apart from the link) of anyone receiving tickets for misbehavior at school. I can't say that it wouldn't make sense, however. The schools don't have any teeth and kids that elect to eff off in a complete fashion are likely being enabled or failed in some way by the parent or parents. If they start getting what amounts to speeding tickets, that's going to get someone's attention.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Sorry, I took it at face value when you said "misdemeanor".

For whatever it's worth, I, my entire family and all of my oldest friends went to school through 12th grade in Texas and I have never seen or heard (apart from the link) of anyone receiving tickets for misbehavior at school. I can't say that it wouldn't make sense, however. The schools don't have any teeth and kids that elect to eff off in a complete fashion are likely being enabled or failed in some way by the parent or parents. If they start getting what amounts to speeding tickets, that's going to get someone's attention.
I think it is stupid to get the courts involved in something that should be handled in school. It might make sense in high schools for serious offenses. It does not make sense for elementary school students for the violations they are talking about.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I think it is stupid to get the courts involved in something that should be handled in school. It might make sense in high schools for serious offenses. It does not make sense for elementary school students for the violations they are talking about.
Are you talking about the 214 page Texas Appleseed report or the CBS News snippet? Also, courts do not get involved in C misdemeanors unless someone is trying to ignore the fact that they've received a misdemeanor citation. Bear in mind that the article you read is designed to be inflammatory and the information therein is cherry-picked.

I am a little suspicious that if your elementary school student brings a ticket home that it may mean that you are looking at a kid that has demonstrated a continued disinterest in following any rules, behaving in a manner that is respectful of the classroom, teachers or other students and does not seem affected by or inclined to show up for the more pedestrian punitive measures at a school's disposal.

Bad schools in Texas are reallybad and getting worse. I don't necessarily disagree fully that this has the potential for being enormously problematic and unfair - but someone is trying to fix a problem that is perceived as widespread and detrimental to an entire generation of a certain class. Is it more stupid to take action or to bury your head in the sand and wait?

Old 07-26-2011, 07:16 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post

It correlates heavily to sensationalism, is my take.

I've been teaching in large Texas public high schools for 18 years. That 60% "suspension" figure no doubt includes such petty things as a one-day "in-school suspension" for being tardy three times. In-school suspension or "ISS" is a very mild disciplinary measure used to encourage attendance. It consists of the student spending one day in a studyhall type environment instead of attending regular classes.

This type of "suspension" probably makes up a big part of that 60% figure. But explaining that in the article would remove a lot of the desired impact, wouldn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education