Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 07:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Check with your HS but I rather doubt it unless he pays out-of-district tuition (probably $8,000 to $12,000 a year for a public school). There are different rules in different states.

If he is 18 he probably only has a semester to go before he graduates, unless he is in special education. Is it that bad that he can't wait a semester to get his diploma?

Also, where is he going to live? How is going to pay his bills and buy food? How is he going to get to school? What about health insurance? What about college and his other future plans?

There are dozens of questions to answer before you even get to the question of "can he enroll in your HS".
I've never heard of that. Plus, if he moves to the district, he isn't out of district. He'd live there and they'd have to let him attend the public school.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think this is a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 08:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Check with your HS but I rather doubt it unless he pays out-of-district tuition (probably $8,000 to $12,000 a year for a public school). There are different rules in different states.

If he is 18 he probably only has a semester to go before he graduates, unless he is in special education. Is it that bad that he can't wait a semester to get his diploma?

Also, where is he going to live? How is going to pay his bills and buy food? How is he going to get to school? What about health insurance? What about college and his other future plans?

There are dozens of questions to answer before you even get to the question of "can he enroll in your HS".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I've never heard of that. Plus, if he moves to the district, he isn't out of district. He'd live there and they'd have to let him attend the public school.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think this is a good idea.

Perhaps, your state & districts are different than mine.

If all it took would be for a student, once they turned 18, to move away from his parent's house & move into a girlfriend's house or sleep on a buddies couch than there would be dozens of top ranked football players or soccer players or chess players moving to the school district where there are most likely to be seen by scouts, or top students to move into high ranking school districts which offer more AP classes or whatever they need or things like that.

At least in my area, in my state, they take students & parents who try to cheat the system very seriously. Otherwise, parents would forget about buying a home in the high property tax, wealthy school districts and just have their kids sleep on second-cousin twice removed Susie's couch who does pay taxes in that district while they live in another cheaper district.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-21-2015 at 08:44 PM..

Old 12-23-2015, 12:09 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:
Perhaps, your state & districts are different than mine.

If all it took would be for a student, once they turned 18, to move away from his parent's house & move into a girlfriend's house or sleep on a buddies couch than there would be dozens of top ranked football players or soccer players or chess players moving to the school district where there are most likely to be seen by scouts, or top students to move into high ranking school districts which offer more AP classes or whatever they need or things like that.

At least in my area, in my state, they take students & parents who try to cheat the system very seriously. Otherwise, parents would forget about buying a home in the high property tax, wealthy school districts and just have their kids sleep on second-cousin twice removed Susie's couch who does pay taxes in that district while they live in another cheaper district.
If you are that good, scouts will see you wherever you play football, and if you play a different sport, scouts will see you during the club season. Moving your senior year is too late to be seriously recruited.

I don't know about you, but I turned 18 in February of my senior year. I could have moved in time for the last quarter and the spring sports season, but that's all.

In my area, we have schools of choice. Any student can enroll in any public school, regardless of district, as long as there is room in the school the student wishes to attend. Additionally, if a student is homeschooled, he/she can play sports at the local public school as well, but he/she must go to the nearest program.

This is made possible by the fact that the state has a funding equalization program to make up for differences in funding.

Also, the state sports association does not allow students to move schools/districts without losing at least a half season's eligibility (if a bona fide move is made) or a full season's eligibility (if the student is using school of choice). A nationally-ranked recruit moved from a different state to here and had to sit out half of a season and go to court to gain his second half back (he was supposed to be suspended for the season by his private school).

Old 12-23-2015, 04:34 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
I have never heard of a school district being allowed to charge tuition to an out-of-district student. If he changes his address to a location within the district, the district must take him even if he is homeless.

I do agree with the rest of his post.
New York State is one of many states that allow districts to charge tuition for out-of-district students. It's because the schools are financed with a combination of local property taxes and state aid.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:28 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
New York State is one of many states that allow districts to charge tuition for out-of-district students. It's because the schools are financed with a combination of local property taxes and state aid.
In Colorado, schools are financed much in the same way, but all the money flows through the state first. Each student is "worth" a fixed amount of money, and the money goes with the student. If a student wants to enroll in another district, that district may accept the student on a space available basis. The money then goes to the district that accepted the student.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:12 AM

1 posts, read 917 times
I Am In Texas And When I Turn 18 I Want To Go Back To My Home Town North Little Rock , Arkansas And Enroll Myself Back In School. I Will Be A Senior But Will I Be Able To Do That ?

Old 01-09-2018, 02:12 AM

579 posts, read 368,166 times
Just Get A GED. And Learn How To Use Capitalization Properly... namely just the first word of a sentence!

Old 01-09-2018, 05:29 AM

1,665 posts, read 975,121 times
I don't know about nowadays. Way back when I was a senior for the 3rd time, I was living on my own and going to school. While working full time.

Yes, my 3rd year. I was working a whole lot the first 2 senior years. I missed a lot of days of school. I decided to drop out. When I went back at the beginning of each school year, they've just given me classes I needed to graduate. My last year, I only went to school only 1 hour. First hour.

I was 19 at the time. When I missed school one day, I wrote my own absentee note. The assistant principal refused to sign it because he thought I was up to no good. We didn't get along since day 1. He called my father and he was like "yes sir, no sir..."

He signed it, apologizing over and over. Come to find out my dad has had enough of the a.p. and told him about himself. Ever since that day, until he died, he had a different attitude towards me and he even said he was proud of his student working full time and sticking it out and going to school an graduating.

Good luck to you...

Old 01-11-2018, 08:46 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Not in all places. At all four of my high schools, once you reached 18 you had no extra freedom in regards to school. You signed nothing, your parent or guardian had to sign permission slips for everything, your parent or guardian had to excuse every absence.

That certainly wasn't the case when I was in high school. 18 and older were considered adults and didn't need any parental involvement. Same for married students under 18.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:48 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
In Colorado, schools are financed much in the same way, but all the money flows through the state first. Each student is "worth" a fixed amount of money, and the money goes with the student. If a student wants to enroll in another district, that district may accept the student on a space available basis. The money then goes to the district that accepted the student.

I would think that if you moved to another district you would now be eligible to enroll in that district's schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education