Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 01:36 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times

Advertisements

I agree with most posters in that the best place to get specific information is by calling the school district where you want to enroll and talk to someone there, and then double check that. It would be pretty bad to move to another state and find that you cannot enroll. At our HS 18 year olds don't have any more privileges then any other student and must live with a parent or guardian.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 12:21 AM

3 posts, read 3,827 times
If I wish to live with a friends family for my senior year in another state upon turning 18, can I enroll myself in a high school there?

Old 08-17-2014, 12:29 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giothegreat View Post
If I wish to live with a friends family for my senior year in another state upon turning 18, can I enroll myself in a high school there?
It would depend on how the new state handles high school transfers. You would need to contact the school board in your new location.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:26 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,885 times
Some states will allow this if the family that you live with will assume guardianship of you. It has to be an agreement of the two families; regardless of your age. Paperwork has to be completed and your present district has to forward all of your academic files.

I have former students who did this to get residency in a state so they could apply to and subsequently attend college in that state as a resident. They would move in with family or friends of their parents, but all of the guardianship paperwork had to be completed.

Schools generally don't care that you are 18 or even 19~as a student your parents (or guardians) are still responsible for your attendance, absences, permission slips for trips, progress reports for failing grades etc.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:38 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Opps... Just noticed its a old thread.. O/P is ~21 now...

The one who restarted it also started his/her own thread @

http://www.city-data.com/forum/educa...nts-house.html

Old 12-16-2015, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,660 times
My boyfriend is in CA and wants to move to MI to go to school with me at 18 because he hates his parents. They would not give him permission to come here, but could he enroll in my high school without their permission?

Old 12-16-2015, 11:19 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyyyyyy View Post
My boyfriend is in CA and wants to move to MI to go to school with me at 18 because he hates his parents. They would not give him permission to come here, but could he enroll in my high school without their permission?

Check with your HS but I rather doubt it unless he pays out-of-district tuition (probably $8,000 to $12,000 a year for a public school). There are different rules in different states.

If he is 18 he probably only has a semester to go before he graduates, unless he is in special education. Is it that bad that he can't wait a semester to get his diploma?

Also, where is he going to live? How is going to pay his bills and buy food? How is he going to get to school? What about health insurance? What about college and his other future plans?

There are dozens of questions to answer before you even get to the question of "can he enroll in your HS".

Old 12-16-2015, 12:09 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,121,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Check with your HS but I rather doubt it unless he pays out-of-district tuition (probably $8,000 to $12,000 a year for a public school). There are different rules in different states.

If he is 18 he probably only has a semester to go before he graduates, unless he is in special education. Is it that bad that he can't wait a semester to get his diploma?

Also, where is he going to live? How is going to pay his bills and buy food? How is he going to get to school? What about health insurance? What about college and his other future plans?

There are dozens of questions to answer before you even get to the question of "can he enroll in your HS".
I have never heard of a school district being allowed to charge tuition to an out-of-district student. If he changes his address to a location within the district, the district must take him even if he is homeless.

I do agree with the rest of his post.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
I have never heard of a school district being allowed to charge tuition to an out-of-district student. If he changes his address to a location within the district, the district must take him even if he is homeless.

I do agree with the rest of his post.
In my state if you are homeless or living in a shelter your previous school district needs to keep you enrolled. They also have to provide free transportation (in most cases) to your school.

Districts can, and do, kick you out or charge tuition if a child or parent is trying to defraud them by lying about their legal address. Frankly, you would be shocked at how often parents lie about their address or claim that their child is living with a relative who is legal resident if a top ranked school district. While there can be legal ways to attend a different district just telling them that you moved or are sleeping on someone's couch will not work.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:21 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
I have never heard of a school district being allowed to charge tuition to an out-of-district student.
Happen quite often here.
Our district alone has a half dozen or so out-of-district tuition students any given year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education