Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:38 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times

Advertisements

This makes me wonder what the repercussions would have been if he had said she was ugly.

The teacher should have been able to get down to eye level with this child, and firmly tell him his comment isn't acceptable to her. Why in the world did the administration even get involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 07:45 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Yeah, "Fine" means "Hot". Even if he said it like.. "Damn, she's Ffffiiiinnneeeeee, I'd get with that!", he's still a 9 year old imitating things he's seen older kids do. I don't get how you suspend a kid for that. Maybe detention or something for being fresh, but suspension?!!

Old 12-06-2011, 07:50 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I just read this off the MSN home page. The school suspended the boy for calling a teacher "cute" said it was a form of sexual harrassement. I guess the boy has supposadly said other things to students, in which his mother was never notified and now they suspend him. What has this world come to when a school is saying that when a 9 year old calls someone cute it is sexual harrassment. This boy doesn't even know what that is lone aless do it

School explains boy’s suspension in letter to mother - News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Van Halen - Hot For Teacher - YouTube

Old 12-06-2011, 08:15 AM

178 posts, read 332,254 times
Maybe a suspension was a little too far, but I agree the parents should be notified and if the behavior continued the school should step it up. In the world we live in today a child making comments like this lead to disaster for a teacher.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:14 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess72 View Post
Maybe a suspension was a little too far, but I agree the parents should be notified and if the behavior continued the school should step it up. In the world we live in today a child making comments like this lead to disaster for a teacher.

What disaster would a child telling his friends a teacher is cute/fine/hot lead to? Why do parents need to be notified of this? What is wrong with this world now? This pc crap is just going way too far, IMO.

I saw a story the other day that a kid was suspended for kicking the bully in the kahonies when the bully was choking him! They called it sexual assault! This kid was only 7 or 9 years old too. You can't kick a guy where it counts anymore without it being a sexual thing? The USA is so out of control and priorities so fouled up.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:57 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
What disaster would a child telling his friends a teacher is cute/fine/hot lead to? Why do parents need to be notified of this? What is wrong with this world now? This pc crap is just going way too far, IMO.

I saw a story the other day that a kid was suspended for kicking the bully in the kahonies when the bully was choking him! They called it sexual assault! This kid was only 7 or 9 years old too. You can't kick a guy where it counts anymore without it being a sexual thing? The USA is so out of control and priorities so fouled up.
My sentiments exactly I seriously doubt that a young boy of 9 calling is teacher fine will lead to any kind of disaster like him being a sexual deviant. I think the teacher should have told him that she didn't appreciate his comment and to not say it again. I think that would have taken care of the situation. Pretty soon none of us willl be allowed to tell anyone of the opposite sex that they look good or that they are pretty or handsome. This is where this is all leading.

The boy kicks him in the crotch in self defense and get in trouble? That's right, blame the victim not the bully and they wonder why bullying is so out of control. The minute the victim stands up for themselves they get blamed

Old 12-06-2011, 11:48 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,765,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Yeah, "Fine" means "Hot". Even if he said it like.. "Damn, she's Ffffiiiinnneeeeee, I'd get with that!", he's still a 9 year old imitating things he's seen older kids do. I don't get how you suspend a kid for that. Maybe detention or something for being fresh, but suspension?!!
Um, no, that is not what "fine" means now. It may be what it meant a decade ago, but now it is definitely a derogatory term that refers to a woman that is only good for sex and nothing else.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Um, no, that is not what "fine" means now. It may be what it meant a decade ago, but now it is definitely a derogatory term that refers to a woman that is only good for sex and nothing else.
Then we'd better be sure EVERYONE is up on the lingo and knows exactly what it means. Including this little boy if somebody's going to use it as a reason for tossing him out of school.

On Sunday I said a particular NFL player was looking "fine in his tight red pants" (and I meant "hot"). I had no idea that it is now a derogatory term.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:49 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,592 times
But this wasn't the first time this boy had been in trouble, he had already been talked to for being inappropriate and calling classmates names. I highly doubt he just used a word he had heard and didn't know what it meant.... out of innocence. This is Gastonia... trust me, they have bigger issues to deal with than a boy calling someone cute, his behaviour must have been escalating. I see it as a boy pushing the line and making the classroom an uncomfortable place while his mother makes excuses for his behavior (at least he didn't touch her sexually... the mother said). I believe he said it with sexual overtone, but is now trying to play it down by saying he said "cute", to create all this outrage. When parents can't teach children how to behave appropriately, its up to the school. Now the classroom can proceed in a civilized way, now that firm expectations have been set.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:23 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Then we'd better be sure EVERYONE is up on the lingo and knows exactly what it means. Including this little boy if somebody's going to use it as a reason for tossing him out of school.

On Sunday I said a particular NFL player was looking "fine in his tight red pants" (and I meant "hot"). I had no idea that it is now a derogatory term.

I'm with you, DewD, I had no clue that "fine" was not an "appropriate" word nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
But this wasn't the first time this boy had been in trouble, he had already been talked to for being inappropriate and calling classmates names. I highly doubt he just used a word he had heard and didn't know what it meant.... out of innocence. This is Gastonia... trust me, they have bigger issues to deal with than a boy calling someone cute, his behaviour must have been escalating. I see it as a boy pushing the line and making the classroom an uncomfortable place while his mother makes excuses for his behavior (at least he didn't touch her sexually... the mother said). I believe he said it with sexual overtone, but is now trying to play it down by saying he said "cute", to create all this outrage. When parents can't teach children how to behave appropriately, its up to the school. Now the classroom can proceed in a civilized way, now that firm expectations have been set.

Yes, the responsibility is on parents, I agree, and if there is no disipline from them the schools need to try and get the job done.

Ya know, it's almost to the point of not allowing people to breed, unless they can prove they can be good parents. Enough of these welfare mothers popping baby after baby out. There should also be something to punish the "already parents" if they do not bring their kids up in a civilized manner. I doubt that would ever happen and that's just emotion talking here with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education