Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:22 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times

Advertisements

I'm a software engineer with 16+ years, my wife is in accounting, and we send our child to a school that doesn't use computers.

Why? This video tells the story. I cannot emphasize how good of an education Waldorf provides. It's how a school should run in my opinion.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I'm a software engineer with 16+ years, my wife is in accounting, and we send our child to a school that doesn't use computers.

Why? This video tells the story. I cannot emphasize how good of an education Waldorf provides. It's how a school should run in my opinion.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Unfortunately, the fact is that Waldorf education is a cult.

The true nature of Steiner (Waldorf) education. Mystical barmpottery at taxpayers’ expense. Part 1

Quote:
they advocate "biodynamic farming". That includes utterly barmy doctrines about how the phase of the moon affects crops and such like astrological baloney (as well as some possibly sensible stuff about compost).
WALDORF SCHOOLS CULT ~ DECEPTIVE GNOSTIC PROSELYTIZING in CAMPUS / EDUCATION CULTS........................................ Forum

Quote:
Waldorf can become a way of life, and an isolating one. In more dogmatically Anthroposophic schools, families may be discouraged from allowing their children to participate in activities outside of school such as clubs, dance classes, or sports. There is an Anthroposophically correct answer for every question a struggling parent may have: how to feed, dress, and discipline their children; when to put them to bed; what color to paint their bedroom; which toys are "appropriate" and which are "damaging." Simple pleasures like kicking a ball may be discouraged. Waldorf teachers try (usually unsuccessfully) to enforce a total ban on electronic media in any form for younger children, especially TV and computers, which Anthroposophists say embody a materialistic spirit named "Ahriman." The ban extends to recorded music and radio, which can make it difficult to even interact with one's extended family or neighbors. Even taking pictures of your children may be discouraged.
Waldorf schools teach from their own perspective and it is a religious one promoted by Rudolph Steiner.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:17 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,381,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I have also heard this about the Waldorf schools in our area. I have also heard similar things about the Christian Science Schools being cult-like and being potentially harmful to children as they do not believe in medical intervention. There is also a big fundamentalist Christian school in our area that has a similar stigma.

However, my kids have not gone to these schools so I do not have first hand knowledge.

I do believe that severe limitation of technology/computers may be an attempt to heavily control outside information and the free flow of ideas between people. In that respect, I am a bit wary of programs that promote this. I prefer slow, careful introduction of technologies so children can learn how to appropriately and safely use the technology under an adult's guidance.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:21 PM

503 posts, read 807,610 times
Quote:

The true nature of Steiner (Waldorf) education. Mystical barmpottery at taxpayers’ expense. Part 1

WALDORF SCHOOLS CULT ~ DECEPTIVE GNOSTIC PROSELYTIZING in CAMPUS / EDUCATION CULTS........................................ Forum

Waldorf schools teach from their own perspective and it is a religious one promoted by Rudolph Steiner.
Compared to the dysfunction of the public schools, I can see how it could hardly be any worse.

Funny how people routinely have to find the most salacious aspects of any educational doctrine and use it to discredit it, yet the public schools are by far more of an abuse of our kids' ability and will to truly learn.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I have also heard this about the Waldorf schools in our area. I have also heard similar things about the Christian Science Schools being cult-like and being potentially harmful to children as they do not believe in medical intervention. There is also a big fundamentalist Christian school in our area that has a similar stigma.

However, my kids have not gone to these schools so I do not have first hand knowledge.

I do believe that severe limitation of technology/computers may be an attempt to heavily control outside information and the free flow of ideas between people. In that respect, I am a bit wary of programs that promote this. I prefer slow, careful introduction of technologies so children can learn how to appropriately and safely use the technology under an adult's guidance.
They'll get plenty of this at home and out with friends.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:

That's a fact? It looks like a couple of blogs to me.

I have been in the Denver Waldorf school for over a year now and I am not part of any cult. Perhaps I need to be there for 3 years before I get my cult membership ID?

Honestly, I have never heard of it being called a cult, ever. But I will continue researching this . Actually it is a very well respected school here.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:04 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,238 times
Huh, doesn't sound any weirder than a Catholic school.

Quote:

Old 03-19-2012, 03:54 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,381,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
They'll get plenty of this at home and out with friends.
They don't use much technology at home. They don't do TV, video games, texting, FB, surfing, etc. They don't have time or desire for it. They'll use their computers for supervised homework. We are big outdoor people. The kids are also very busy with team sports, music, and clubs which provide great social skills training. I don't agree with the article's premise that you must eliminate all technology in order to foster social skills. Social skills can be fostered in many (often better) ways.

I also wouldn't count on my child's friends to teach them how to safely use technology. I try to teach my kids how to deal with friends if they are put in unsafe situations (including technology related ones).

I consider teaching a partnership between the parent and the school. I teach much at home and, likewise, I have attended "safe technology" seminars at the school that have taught me a thing or two. The kids are receiving a consistent message from school and home on how to safely use technology. I do want them to be exposed to technology as it will continue to be an important, useful, ever-present tool in their lives.

IMO our school uses technology in appropriate amounts as one of many tools for accessing and presenting information. My kids were rarely even allowed to use calculators in elementary school which I am a fan of as they now have strong calculation skills.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
OT but:

Biodynamic farming is "barmy"?

What's "barmy" is Steiner claiming credit for the idea behind it because it's been practiced for centuries.

Back on topic: Mach50 does your school have land that the kids farm? I think that's a definite plus. More schools should be teaching farming, IMHO. If for no other reason then to show students where their food comes from. I can think of worse things than having kids getting their hands dirty learning how to grow and nurture carrots.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Back on topic: Mach50 does your school have land that the kids farm? I think that's a definite plus. More schools should be teaching farming, IMHO. If for no other reason then to show students where their food comes from. I can think of worse things than having kids getting their hands dirty learning how to grow and nurture carrots.
Some Waldorf schools do, but this one is in the city proper, they do have field trips out to farms though. They emphasize that parents start a garden at home with their kids and setup a nature table to hold seeds, rocks, shells etc. that they talk about at school.

It is very close to a farm school, at least from what I have heard.

Last edited by Mach50; 03-19-2012 at 04:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education