Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 02:00 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
But the facts are on my side. I forgot though....facts and logic don't matter, only your opinion.
What facts? I agree that music, art, drama, computer tech, sports, chess, all those things are fabulous for kids. I disagree that the taxpayers should pay for those.
So, the "facts" that are on your side are the government agrees with you and that taxpayers, not parents, should pay for those things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 06:40 PM

503 posts, read 807,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
What facts? I agree that music, art, drama, computer tech, sports, chess, all those things are fabulous for kids. I disagree that the taxpayers should pay for those.
So, the "facts" that are on your side are the government agrees with you and that taxpayers, not parents, should pay for those things?
The facts are that they are a mandated part of the curriculum.

The facts are that the students and the parents >already< pay a large majority of the fees associate with those classes, particularly in the case of band.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
The facts are that they are a mandated part of the curriculum.

The facts are that the students and the parents >already< pay a large majority of the fees associate with those classes, particularly in the case of band.
I agree with your fact #1. Those are a mandated part of the public school curriculum. Of course they are, there is a blank check currently written by taxpayers to schools. I disagree with that.

Parents *should* be paying for fees for the "extra" classes. I happen to think they should pay for 100% of those classes.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
I agree with your fact #1. Those are a mandated part of the public school curriculum. Of course they are, there is a blank check currently written by taxpayers to schools. I disagree with that.

Parents *should* be paying for fees for the "extra" classes. I happen to think they should pay for 100% of those classes.
Blank check? Hardly. With tax caps and the passing of pension costs back to the school systems, there are hardly any checks at all, much less blank ones.

And thankfully the law, the school system and every thinking person in the world realizes that those classes are just as valuable to a child's education as math, science and English and are supported just as those classes are.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:

The problem with that thinking is that poor children whose parents cannot afford the fees would be getting an inferior education. That is something that we should not be condoning. Note that music, art and p.e. are often classes that keep children in school, too.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:29 PM

24 posts, read 65,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Do you think that parents should pay for their children's books? (For kids in elementary school to high school)?

I think it's a great idea to make parents pay for their child's books. This would teach the child to take better care of their books. Kids rip pages, tear it apart, mark in them, ruining those books. And, the government has to spend money to replace the damaged books. Not to mention that the government is in a ton of debt. (Around 15 trillion dollars )
This is a good way to guarantee drop-outs. In many countries around the world, families can't afford to pay for books, so kids stay home and miss out on an education. I hadn't realized that the US economy had sunk to the point that charging parents for schoolbooks is being considered.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:42 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The problem with that thinking is that poor children whose parents cannot afford the fees would be getting an inferior education. That is something that we should not be condoning. Note that music, art and p.e. are often classes that keep children in school, too.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that the inferior education is part of the plan.

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 PM

As I've stated before, I completely believe in the arts, sports, and other extracurriculars (interesting word) complement a basic education. I think parents should pay for them, along with lost/damaged books.

We compete against countries with very, very basic education- and they are outperforming us in science, technology, and math. No football stadiums or marching bands there.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
We compete against countries with very, very basic education- and they are outperforming us in science, technology, and math. No football stadiums or marching bands there.
No.

They.

Don't.

Those "comparisons" are inherently flawed as they are not being make on an equal basis.

Nearly every other country segregates out their kids into academic and vocational tracks, usually somewhere around the equivalent of 8th grade.

The kids that we get compared to are solely those in the academic track, meanwhile the US scores include everyone including the academic predators, but also those that simply aren't all that bright, those that refuse to take the test seriously as well as those labelled as special ed.

Get back to us with the "US Education Sucks" headlines when there's some real straight line equivalents made.

There's a reason why parents bring their kids to the US. Maybe you can figure out why that is.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Emphasis mine.

Really?

Nishihara '00-'01, Best High School Marching Band Show Ever - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education