Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:13 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times

Advertisements

By the way OP, I love your website, just hilarious. I particularly liked your criticism of UNESCO using a pamphlet from 1952!

"Global citizenship" does not aspire to create "The New World Order", and is not using "citizenship" in the way you are infering. I will use an existing definition of a Global Citizen (I know, Oxfam is the devil too, save it...):

Quote:
- is aware of the wider world and has a sense of their own role as a world citizen;
- respects and values diversity;
- has an understanding of how the world works economically, politically, socially, culturally, technologically and environmentally;
- is outraged by social injustice;
- participates in and contributes to the community at a range of levels from local to global;
- is willing to act to make the world a more sustainable place;
- takes responsibility for their actions.
Oxfam Education: Global Citizenship Information and Support | What and why of Global Citizenship | What is Global Citizenship?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Yeah, I thought that question would be too tough for Zimbochick.

Anyone? Care to provide me with a definition of global citizenship?
Sorry, I was busy implementing the New World Order, step 4678.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,167,021 times
Here's a hint:

http://occ.ibo.org/ibis/documents/ge...o_1106_1_e.pdf

The world is changing, and there is evidence that we are entering a “post-international environment”: borders are weakening,

Global citizenship is aspirational; membership in global civil society differs in concrete and significant ways from national citizenship. It carries with it no inherent rights, yet is often motivated by the desire for greater commitment to universal human rights. It can be perceived as inclusive, caring and responsive.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 AM

Oopsies, looks like you skipped some relevant parts of that quote. And let's remember this is an INTERNATIONAL education system:

Quote:
"We are increasingly living next to, working alongside, sharing our leisure with, choosing our partners from people with different cultural backgrounds".
This is a reality, why are you afraid of learning about other cultures?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
By the way OP, I love your website, just hilarious. I particularly liked your criticism of UNESCO using a pamphlet from 1952!
I'm glad you liked that. I received that pamphlet from the last surviving MinuteWoman of the U.S.A., Ellen McClay. She turns 90 this year, bless her soul!

As you can see from IBO's definition from educating for global citizenship, they actually use the word aspirational. If you want, I can hunt down the IBO pamphlet which has a sweet picture of a "Global Passport" with the UN logo emblazoned on it.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Oopsies, looks like you skipped some relevant parts of that quote. And let's remember this is an INTERNATIONAL education system:

This is a reality, why are you afraid of learning about other cultures?
Not at all! I love learning about other cultures as do my children. However, I don't believe we need an outrageously expensive Swiss/UNESCO program to teach children other languages or about other cultures. Furthermore, UNESCO's past and present disregard for the rights of Christians on planet Earth, is reprehensible. I don't see the UN standing up for the Coptic Christians being slaughtered in the Mid East, do you? And hey, how about those UN peacekeepers that threw up their hands in despair in Syria?

My very good friend from HS, Marie Colvin, was assassinated this year in Syria, trying to report the truth. Her Mom was one of my HS English teachers. We didn't need IB to learn about other cultures.

Oh yeah, here is the obnoxious power point I was looking for. I stand corrected. The passport doesn't have the UN logo. It's just marked "Global Citizen". So who would be the issuing authority for such a passport? What international agency might oneday aspire to have the power to issue such a document?

http://www.mvsd-ib.org/ib/wp-content...al-Citizen.pdf

Btw, I particularly like the photo of the anarchist giving the double-middle finger. So charming!

Last edited by ObserverNY; 08-22-2012 at 09:56 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
As you can see from IBO's definition from educating for global citizenship, they actually use the word aspirational. If you want, I can hunt down the IBO pamphlet which has a sweet picture of a "Global Passport" with the UN logo emblazoned on it.
You do realize the use of the terms "citizenship" and "passport" are not referencing national sovereignty?

Quote:
Furthermore, UNESCO's past and present disregard for the rights of Christians on planet Earth, is reprehensible. I don't see the UN standing up for the Coptic Christians being slaughtered in the Mid East, do you? And hey, how about those UN peacekeepers that threw up their hands in despair in Syria?
Sorry, just not true. See what happens when you get your information from a third party?

Go to Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights / OHCHR Welcome page they have a handy, dandy search feature.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
You do realize the use of the terms "citizenship" and "passport" are not referencing national sovereignty?
You seem to be missing the point. In reality, real life, current, now, 21st Century, countries issue passports, correct? In fact, I just shelled out $110 to have my U.S. Passport renewed. A U.S. Passport is THE most sought after form of identification in the world.

In order for IBO to "aspire" to a Passport for a Global Citizen, that means IBO is also aspiring for a one world government without borders. Such a passport or government could not exist without undermining and destroying the existing sovereignty of individual countries.

If, as you claim, globalization/IB does not aspire to the creation of one world government, then IB is teaching a fantasy. A global citizen has no rights, a global citizen is a figment of the imagination of internationalists! They might as well "aspire" to owning a unicorn farm!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 AM

And sorry, I still don't see any info from the useless OHCHR regarding taking ACTION against:

Muslim Brotherhood and the killing and persecution of Christians in Egypt - Watertown Tea Party | Examiner.com

Maybe they will send a "very stern letter"! LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPSvIz9NDs

Old 08-22-2012, 11:01 AM

30 posts, read 45,700 times
Default OH right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

"Global citizenship" does not aspire to create "The New World Order", and is not using "citizenship" in the way you are infering. I will use an existing definition of a Global Citizen (I know, Oxfam is the devil too, save it...):

Oxfam Education: Global Citizenship Information and Support | What and why of Global Citizenship | What is Global Citizenship?
IB has a feature I know totalitarians like yourself will love -- respect for SHARIAH LAW.
I hope you're not gay....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education