Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2014, 04:22 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
8th grade. Remember it well. A quiet red-haired gal sat two rows away from me, and one day at 11:50 she asked to leave for a bathroom break. The teach told her she could wait 10 minutes. She asked again but was told the same thing. About 2 minutes later a puddle formed under her desk. Teach was angry. So was I, at the teach. I hardly knew the young lady, but it was evident before the water started running that she needed to go.

I got an email from her a couple years ago, the first time I'd heard from her in 50 years. The first thing I thought of was that unfortunate day that was so embarrassing for her. I didn't know her well, but I know she was the gal who peed on the floor. I'd imagine I'm not the only one who remembers her for that.

Teachers, think about this before you withhold your hall passes.

'Nuff said.

I remember a similar incident, and her mother came in and ripped into the teacher like I have never seen before
and rightfully so,,,,
you don't treat kids like dogs

talk about bullying and controlling behavior??? if you cant let a kid pee when they NEED to- then you shouldn't be a teacher,,,and yeah yeah yeah I know what you teachers will say - all the kids will be gone for the restrooms, and dont even need to go..

bottom line,,,if you refuse to allow a child to go pee and they pee in front of the class- do you have any idea how damaging that is to that kid??

I told my son,,,if he really had to go ,,,then GO

one of my teachers had ibs and she would leave when necessary- and she told us ...that we could also... she put it in a way that was decent and understanding,,,not being an uncaring dictator ...no one took advantage of this

I apologize for my tone ,,,but the poster above is spot on,,,,,,50 yrs later , how he remembers this girl,,is shes the one that pee'd in class,,because the teacher wouldn't let her go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 02:57 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I remember a similar incident, and her mother came in and ripped into the teacher like I have never seen before
and rightfully so,,,,
you don't treat kids like dogs

talk about bullying and controlling behavior??? if you cant let a kid pee when they NEED to- then you shouldn't be a teacher,,,and yeah yeah yeah I know what you teachers will say - all the kids will be gone for the restrooms, and dont even need to go..

bottom line,,,if you refuse to allow a child to go pee and they pee in front of the class- do you have any idea how damaging that is to that kid??

I told my son,,,if he really had to go ,,,then GO

one of my teachers had ibs and she would leave when necessary- and she told us ...that we could also... she put it in a way that was decent and understanding,,,not being an uncaring dictator ...no one took advantage of this

I apologize for my tone ,,,but the poster above is spot on,,,,,,50 yrs later , how he remembers this girl,,is shes the one that pee'd in class,,because the teacher wouldn't let her go
This is not the case with my students. They're asking to leave my class as soon as the bell rings in two hours. I've had so many students leave the room that the office has notified me that I need to keep my students in the room during those hours. I do have three hours where I do not have to police bathroom use and don't. I just ask that they make sure they have my attention before they walk out. I WISH my students didn't take advantage of bathroom passes but they do and part of my job is making sure there aren't kids wandering the hallway during class.

It is unfortunate when a teacher tells a student no if that student isn't one to abuse passes but quite understandable if they are. There are certain students that I automatically make wait 15 minutes because I know they're up to something. Quite frequently, when I make them wait they forget they had to go to the bathroom in the first place.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:52 AM

8 posts, read 27,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
I've never heard of this. If there is a problem with it being abused, they should have a bathroom monitor. I can't imagine having to go to the restroom and not being permitted to go. It is inhumane.
I think you are right, teachers must allow to go to restroom.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradyk View Post
I think you are right, teachers must allow to go to restroom.
Quite interestingly, I see the same kids day after day asking to leave and then I see those same kids wandering the halls during my prep. Students have 5 minutes passing time between classes. I know this is doable. Yesterday, I had to sub my prep and the class was on the other side of the building. I managed to wait for the last student to leave the room, lock the door, drop off the papers they had handed in, wait for the teacher bathroom (one seater), use the bathroom and still made it to the other side of the building before the 1 minute warning bell rang. Seriously, it is not difficult to use the bathroom between classes. I'm putting a sign up in my room that says "If it was not important enough for you to take care of during passing time it is not important enough for you to leave my class to take care of.". It never ceases to amaze me that students will ask to leave as soon as the bell rings.

I had to laugh this week that really drives home the issue. A sub let some students out of lunch early (bells are kind of crazy around lunch time). I had a student knocking to get in 5 minutes before he should have been released from lunch but I was still trying to finish my lunch so I didn't open the door. When the real bell rang to release the previous class, I opened the door and he came in. Then he waited until the bell rang to start my class and asked to use the bathroom. He literally had 10 minutes from the time he arrived outside my door until class started to have used the bathroom. Of course he claimed it was an emergency.

Quite interestingly, I have more emergencies on Fridays because I give one pass per week. Those who haven't used it before Friday make sure they do on Friday. And you don't think kids abuse bathroom passes? Come to my school. I swear my school should add passes given to the attendance page so they can see that it's the same kids hour after hour after hour day after day asking for passes in all of their classes except the ones where teachers do not allow passes. I went to one pass a week to stop the revolving door but I still have one on Fridays. I know they don't all have to pee on Friday. The problem is if you give them an inch they take a mile. My next step will be to issue half a dozen passes per semester. At least then I won't have a revolving door until the last week of the semester.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
You are kidding, right?!?!? OMG..I would be absolutely livid as a parent to have you call home because my kid had to leave class more than 2 times during the semeter to use the bathroom. Perhaps it curbs bathroom abuse, but who curbs YOUR abuse? Before you blast me, keep in mind that I, too, am a classroom teacher.

I have a daughter who is incredibly sensitive to UTI's, and if she has to hold much in her bladder, she gets an infection. I encourage her to drink, however, because fluids through her also prevent them not to mention that all humans need plenty of water, even during the beloved school day you might want to dehydrate them during.

Her 5th grade teacher had a policy that kids could not go to the bathroom except during restroom time. My daughter got a severe UTI, and had asked 3 times during the day to go. When I asked her teacher about it (he is a man and only in his 3rd year) it had NEVER occured to him that kids who ask to go really need to....he thought they ALL were trying to get out of class. He actually felt bad about it. Come to find out, another little boy had peed his pants after asking to go, but the teacher had been taught in teacher college that kids only do that to get back at you. (Not because they really have to go????)

Why do you assume if kids need to use the bathroom more than 2 times during a semester they are abusing it? Are your classes more than 35 minutes long? Even with between class breaks, all people are different. And I might remind you that your students ARE people.

I'm sorry, but as a classroom teacher, certainly you have bigger problems to tackle, don't you?
Kids being out of our classes IS a problem to tackle. My class periods are 50 minutes long. 5 minutes represents 10% of the hour and probably 20% of the teaching time if the teacher leaves time for kids to start homework. That is significant.

Our kids have 5 minutes passing time between classes to use the bathroom which is what teachers have too. We are not asking the kids to do anything we do not do ourselves on a daily basis.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
I let them go..one at a time. If it becomes a "habit" then it stops and I tell them as much.

Sometimes the teachers aren't thinking.
There was a cold day where the kids had to stay inside..no recess and no bathroom breaks.
I got them right after lunch and every one of them had to go.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:40 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,942 times
Maybe parents should put in volunteer hours monitoring the restrooms if it is that important. Restrooms are completely unsupervised. Having 10-15 kids from various classes in a completely unsupervised area is a recipe for disaster. At one time we were given a directive to let whoever asked go because parents were complaining. 2 weeks later we had parents back in the office complaining how the bathroom was not safe, how their kid was getting bullied in the bathroom, kids were taking pictures and making phone calls in the bathroom, and now their child was even afraid to go into the bathroom. They got exactly what they asked for, an unsupervised playground, chock full of all the behavior problems from 12 different classes. Needless to say, we went back to limiting bathroom access mainly for the safety of the kids.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:27 AM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Maybe parents should put in volunteer hours monitoring the restrooms if it is that important. Restrooms are completely unsupervised. Having 10-15 kids from various classes in a completely unsupervised area is a recipe for disaster. At one time we were given a directive to let whoever asked go because parents were complaining. 2 weeks later we had parents back in the office complaining how the bathroom was not safe, how their kid was getting bullied in the bathroom, kids were taking pictures and making phone calls in the bathroom, and now their child was even afraid to go into the bathroom. They got exactly what they asked for, an unsupervised playground, chock full of all the behavior problems from 12 different classes. Needless to say, we went back to limiting bathroom access mainly for the safety of the kids.

Many students don't want to go to the restroom during class changes because of the harassment in the restrooms. I've heard students talk about some schools where it was just too dangerous to go in at all. They limit their liquid intake so they can wait until they go home. I can barely wait from the end of my planning period until lunch, and that is only 2 1/2 hours.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Many students don't want to go to the restroom during class changes because of the harassment in the restrooms. I've heard students talk about some schools where it was just too dangerous to go in at all. They limit their liquid intake so they can wait until they go home. I can barely wait from the end of my planning period until lunch, and that is only 2 1/2 hours.
I used to not drink anything to avoid having to go during school. Even during class the bathrooms are risky. In fact probably more so because there are fewer witnesses. I learned to not use the bathroom.

Fortunately, I work in a small school so I can run to the bathroom during passing time on most days. On test days I have to remember to not drink anything because I will have kids who want to stay into the next period to finish their test and I will have to wait until lunch which is 4 hours after the start of the school day. Teachers do not get passes to use the bathroom. You learn to hold it. I take one of my medications at night that I'm supposed to take in the morning because it has a diuretic effect for this reason.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
ITA! If parents want us to give unlimited bathroom passes they should come in and monitor the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education