Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 08:11 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times

Advertisements

I am glad I went to school when I did, no strange BS drama over bathroom breaks, if someone needed to go, they just asked the teacher and they went. What is a planner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 04:13 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I am glad I went to school when I did, no strange BS drama over bathroom breaks, if someone needed to go, they just asked the teacher and they went. What is a planner?
So far this year...

We've had one bathroom flooded when someone plugged the drains in the sinks and left them running and a toilet ripped from the wall. As I've said a dozen times already. If they really only went when they needed to use the bathroom we wouldn't have this problem.

I went to school 40 years ago and you did not take bathroom passes because you took your life into your own hands if you ventured into the bathrooms at all. During class was particularly risky because it would be unlikely that anyone would walk in and interrupt your beating. So when was this magical time when you could take a bathroom break when you needed it without issue? When kids didn't lie about needing to go just to get out of class and bathrooms were safe? It's not now and it wasn't 40 years ago.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:05 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

I went to school 40 years ago and you did not take bathroom passes because you took your life into your own hands if you ventured into the bathrooms at all. During class was particularly risky because it would be unlikely that anyone would walk in and interrupt your beating. So when was this magical time when you could take a bathroom break when you needed it without issue? When kids didn't lie about needing to go just to get out of class and bathrooms were safe? It's not now and it wasn't 40 years ago.
Wait. Forty years ago you went to a school where people were beating each other in the bathroom? Life or death in the john! Whoa. That's some school you went to.

Forty years I went to a school where people went to the john to pee. Or sneak a smoke. Teachers issued a pass if we raised our hands and had a pleading look on our face. No issues. Most teachers had a wooden hall pass hanging by the door and when you got the nod from the teacher you took it and left. The only hits came from the art students who were ditching the pep rallies to share a joint.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wait. Forty years ago you went to a school where people were beating each other in the bathroom? Life or death in the john! Whoa. That's some school you went to.

Forty years I went to a school where people went to the john to pee. Or sneak a smoke. Teachers issued a pass if we raised our hands and had a pleading look on our face. No issues. Most teachers had a wooden hall pass hanging by the door and when you got the nod from the teacher you took it and left. The only hits came from the art students who were ditching the pep rallies to share a joint.
The bathrooms is where the tough kids went when they skipped classes. I was one of the kids they picked on. Sadly, my experiences were pretty typical and they're typical today. There are bullies and kids who are bullied and if you're one of the kids who gets bullied, you learn not to pee during the day. You wait until you get home. The last thing you want is to be anywhere where there are no adult witnesses. Even the "good" kids won't rat out the bullies. They just walk out if they happen to walk in and then deny they saw anything.

If you're not one of the kids who get bullied, I suppose bathrooms are for peeing in. That was not my reality. If I did have to pee, I'd do it during passing time because there is safety in numbers but that didn't always work. All of which begs the question, why is it unreasonable to expect students to use the bathroom during passing time? No one is saying they can't pee. They're saying do it before you get to class instead of leaving class. I got chewed out the other day because I let a student "go to the bathroom" and he was caught wandering the halls. The problem is not that they go to the bathroom and pee. The problem is that too many of them DON'T go to the bathroom to pee. They just want an excuse to be out of class. Given that I am responsible for what my students do during my class time this is a problem for me.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 11-26-2014 at 04:48 PM..

Old 11-26-2014, 11:30 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,533,069 times
I think kids and parents should be responsible for things like this.

In college if you want to go to the bathroom just go, you are paying for it, and anything you miss is on you. That's the way lower levels of education should be too. Let grades reflect effort, didn't get the notes for the upcoming test? didn't get the homework when it was handed out? It's your responsibility to figure out what to do.

Reward those who make an honest effort to learn and eff those that want to screw off. Holding kids hands through their entire academic career has led to an irresponsible generation of lazy unemployable moochers (most not all.) Let them go out in the halls and text on their phones or screw around on their iPads. Kids who do the right thing and put fourth some effort will be rewarded with good pay a steady job and comfortable life. Those that don't, should either come up with a million dollar idea, learn to do manual labor, or learn how to make a medicore cappuccino or Iced Carmel Macchiattos. They also better get used to the idea of living with 3 or 4 other roommates. I guess if they are all blazing, what do they care?

Old 11-27-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I think kids and parents should be responsible for things like this.

In college if you want to go to the bathroom just go, you are paying for it, and anything you miss is on you. That's the way lower levels of education should be too. Let grades reflect effort, didn't get the notes for the upcoming test? didn't get the homework when it was handed out? It's your responsibility to figure out what to do.

Reward those who make an honest effort to learn and eff those that want to screw off. Holding kids hands through their entire academic career has led to an irresponsible generation of lazy unemployable moochers (most not all.) Let them go out in the halls and text on their phones or screw around on their iPads. Kids who do the right thing and put fourth some effort will be rewarded with good pay a steady job and comfortable life. Those that don't, should either come up with a million dollar idea, learn to do manual labor, or learn how to make a medicore cappuccino or Iced Carmel Macchiattos. They also better get used to the idea of living with 3 or 4 other roommates. I guess if they are all blazing, what do they care?
Unfortunately, that's not the way it works. In the absence of the child's parents, the school and teacher bear responsibility for what they do. If a child is out of my class and commits a crime, I can be held liable for that if I did not notify the administration that said child was out of my class.

I agree with you. I WISH it was on them but it's not. Under the law they are children who must be supervised and I'm the one who is supposed to supervise them.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:39 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I've seen kids pee on themselves because teacher's tell them no, so what's your opinion?
You could have a kid put their name on a record sheet first before they use the restroom, time in, and time out.

In secondary school, you could limit each kid to (for example) 35 minutes total restroom break time per quarter in each class, above which they get Saturday detention (for example) once for each 5-minute break. Then reset the "clock" the next quarter.

In elementary school, you'd need to be more liberal since the kids have the same teacher all day long, and obviously you'd need to allow doctor's notes if a student has a medical condition requiring more break time.

This way you don't demonize normal bodily functions, but also "crack down" on those deliberately abusing the system.

Last edited by ncole1; 11-27-2014 at 07:51 PM..

Old 11-28-2014, 10:39 AM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You could have a kid put their name on a record sheet first before they use the restroom, time in, and time out.

In secondary school, you could limit each kid to (for example) 35 minutes total restroom break time per quarter in each class, above which they get Saturday detention (for example) once for each 5-minute break. Then reset the "clock" the next quarter.

In elementary school, you'd need to be more liberal since the kids have the same teacher all day long, and obviously you'd need to allow doctor's notes if a student has a medical condition requiring more break time.

This way you don't demonize normal bodily functions, but also "crack down" on those deliberately abusing the system.

Students could miss nearly 20 hours of class over the course of the year? (8 classes x 4 quarters x 35 minutes each) Plus there is the additional record-keeping for 150 students (more in some states)?

Not workable for me. I do know lots of teachers who do have students sign in and out, but I don't know if they add up the minutes for each student.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:12 PM

425 posts, read 432,126 times
Has anyone asked yet: Use the restroom's what?

Old 11-28-2014, 01:27 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler
This is a tough call. Kids abuse bathroom passes. I had 7 kids ask to use the bathroom in one hour yesterday. Seriously, one would not expect 1/4th of the class to have a bathroom emergency during the same hour. I'm sure most/all were not emergencies but I can't tell a student they don't need to pee.
No and you shouldnt have to worry of it!!

7 is a bit much but im sure they all used the john...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education