Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,279,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Do you think I'm a teacher basher or anti union?? I brought up the new PA evaluation system just because it's a bit more balanced. I didn't "cherry pick" your comment. That was the only sentence in that post. Cherry picking means you pull out one statement from a slew of others.

I am not a fan of standardized tests to evaluate students OR teachers. However, it's unrealistic to think that teachers are not going to be evaluated, it's just a matter of trying to do it the fairest way possible. I too doubted that this evaluation had a lot of actual teacher input, but that's what this says: http://teampa.com/2012/07/new-teache...efit-students/

OF COURSE parents and family life are the main influence of children.
I'm wary these days any time someone makes a claim that teachers are involved in any given "reform" process. Usually when you hear this, it means one of two things: That a group of "yes men" teachers were brought on board to give their endorsement, or the teacher associations were involved but had their arms twisted after being backed into a corner. Now that's not always the case, but these days it's most often the case.

In regards to the above posted link, Team PA was founded by Tom Ridge and their "About" section sounds like it could have been lifted from the PA Chamber of Commerce's website. I'm not at all surprised that it would put forth a rosy description of the changes that PA is making to its teacher evaluation system with no mention of what the research says or if there are any contradictions in that realm.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:52 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I do not think you are a teacher basher, or anti union. I do think you have succumb to an evaluation standard that is lacking proper structure. Funny, the article that talks about this evaluation reform is written by a board member, and NOT an educator. The problem with evaluation by results is it forces (whether directly, or indirectly) the teach to the test method, rather than a for the real benefit of the student and what that can gain and use in the real world. As teachers, we are all different, and will leave a different imprint on our students, and teaching to the test minimizes this.

I was very successful in presenting information to the 3 main types of learners. I, and or we could read and discuss what we'd be doing. Then I could show a video presentation, so they see what we'd be doing, or simply demonstrate it in front of them. Then we could go in to a shop and allow them to hands on perform it themselves. The whole time promoting peer to peer interaction, and how they will benefit from this lesson in the real world. Keeping the students engaged is the single biggest challenge. If they're engaged they are learning, and most will retain the information being presented.

Teaching to the test may gain the in the teacher evaluation, and give the student a temporary sense of satisfaction, but in the long run is a disservice to the student. If I as a simple carpenter who took basic vocational courses at San Jose State can see this why can't trained educators?

Ahh, but they do! In this thread people have said unions do not like merit pay. Merit pay is just like evaluations based on student testing, because it is subject to a possible method of biased measurement. Teachers should be evaluated by several people that each measure different aspects of the craft. It should (for the most part) always be kept in a positive way for support of the betterment of teachers, so that the students receive the benefit. Also, while outside input may be considered, education should be left to educators.

I will always be opposed to test based evaluations, and or merit pay systems where someones relative turns out to be the best teacher. It is my belief that all teachers are different, but if supported properly can be the teacher a student remembers for a lifetime. Unions will always be required as long as their support benefits the common good of the membership. I just wish I could have had an English teacher that could have related why later in life I needed to understand it.
Preaching to the choir here. I don't know anyone that thinks teaching to the test is a good thing. Do you? Would anyone say that they don't care about knowledge, just show me some good numbers?? I'll say it again, I'm not a fan of standardized tests. They don't always accurately reflect what is learned, but taken as part of a whole they do help. The Principal at my kids HS once told a group of parents that our state standardized tests were set at such a low bar that it wouldn't make sense to teach to that test because they are BELOW what our kids routinely achieve.

As to your point about who wrote the article I cited, I'm not sure why that matters. Here's the take on the same subject from the PA teachers union: PSEA.org - Key Issue: Teacher Evaluation
Quote:
Our view: PSEA supports strengthening Pennsylvania’s system of teacher evaluation. When assessment is a component of teacher evaluation, multiple measures of student learning must be used. These measures of student learning should include: curriculum-based assessments, teacher-created assessments, student projects and portfolios, district-based pre/post-assessments tied to academic standards, and other valid and reliable measures.

PSEA has been working with the Pennsylvania Department of Education since 2009 to redesign the current evaluation system to support effective teaching. PSEA will continue this work in order to build a system that is valid, reliable, and fair.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:49 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I am a teacher in a right-to-work state and I chose to not be in the union. I'm also conservative. When I became a teacher, I really thought I was going to shake things up with my love of math, young people, and strong work ethic.

I'm the one who got the education.

If I were in the union, however, I would expect them them to advocate for my salary and benefits. That is their job. I advocate for the student; that is my job. Quite honestly, I would have more respect for them if they would quit using the "doing it for the kids" mantra.

And Clevelander is correct. The countries with the strongest teacher's unions score the highest on the international tests for math and science.

Put your money where your mouth is. Go teach at an inner city, at-risk school. Not PE either; teach math.

I dare you. I double dare you.

This is my second career, so I have worked in the 'real world'. I have seen this job bring retired military men and ex-cops to their knees.
I believe it should be your choice to join a union. But, when the union is the advocate for salaries and benefits for those that did join, is it then fair that your salary and benefits be less? If not and everything is equal, then why would the teachers need to join the unions? Is the teachers' union indirectly advocating for you, too?

Old 02-18-2013, 11:33 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,279,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I believe it should be your choice to join a union. But, when the union is the advocate for salaries and benefits for those that did join, is it then fair that your salary and benefits be less? If not and everything is equal, then why would the teachers need to join the unions? Is the teachers' union indirectly advocating for you, too?
Everdeen's posts tend to be informative and well thought, but I do sort of have the same questions. I won't make any assumptions about his/her situation, though. If everyone sat out like that, the association would wither and fail and soon the teachers' voice would be nothing more than a whisper, drown out by the shouts of the (mostly) clueless administrators and reformers.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Ahh, finally! It took me a while to find this analysis, but this is good stuff:

The Principal Difference: A School Leadership Blog by Mel Riddile: PISA: It's Poverty Not Stupid
Quote:
PISA reports average scores. The problem is that the U.S. is not average. While the U.S. is the top country in global competitiveness, we also have the highest percentage of students living in poverty and, regretfully, poverty impacts test scores.
Yep, that's a decent report.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,569,957 times
The fact that the 'Race To The Top' program is a very noble & noteworthy one doesn't mean that it can be initiated if the teachers unions in some states are against it, with the end result being that some states such as California have passed on receiving millions of $$$ in revenue because of the requirement that accountability testing be a critical part of assesssing the teachers.

At least the folks in PA have their priorities straight; major props to them.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:03 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,298,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The fact that the 'Race To The Top' program is a very noble & noteworthy one doesn't mean that it can be initiated if the teachers unions in some states are against it, with the end result being that some states such as California have passed on receiving millions of $$$ in revenue because of the requirement that accountability testing be a critical part of assesssing the teachers.

At least the folks in PA have their priorities straight; major props to them.
California, and Texas are getting some of the stimulus money from this program: Teaching to the test has turned into a race for funding. Good job Washington.
Race to the Top - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Going back for a moment to the PISA test and how these international tests are done. My school just got involved in it, 50 students were randomly selected for testing. Out of those 50 kids 22 have IEPs for various cognitive or behaviorial/emotional reasons. Of the 50 kids only 3 are in AP classes. How do you think the scores are going to look?

And that is where the international comparisons fall down, the US educates everyone while most other counries don't.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,324,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Going back for a moment to the PISA test and how these international tests are done. My school just got involved in it, 50 students were randomly selected for testing. Out of those 50 kids 22 have IEPs for various cognitive or behaviorial/emotional reasons. Of the 50 kids only 3 are in AP classes. How do you think the scores are going to look?

And that is where the international comparisons fall down, the US educates everyone while most other counries don't.
I was wondering about this. How many of these other countries weed out the lower performing students before the tests are taken?

Old 02-19-2013, 06:02 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Are you in the education field. If you are then you know exactly what I'm saying and would agree. If not then of course you have no idea. I don't pretend to be an authority in all states, I can only talk about my own state. Unions have nothing to do with education, they are there to represent teachers and that is all. And yes that is an accurate statement.
It amazes me how some blame unions for poor education. Honestly, I blame the parents
I am affiliated with a university doing research in the education field. In the last 2.5 years, I have spoken to over 300 teachers across the nation along with school administrators and state officials. My research is not tied closely to faculty relations or unions, but we've certainly been affected by them and came to some real shocking realizations overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education