Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 03:12 PM

89 posts, read 148,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The last I heard, failing at something - not being good enough at something is part of life -

Let kids fail - its ok
That has got to be one of the most absurd comments I have ever heard. It is not ok to let kids fail nor is it ok to let adults fail. Failing is nothing more than giving up which is exactly what is happening in schools with education. They have given up and turned to sports because some children excel in that area, but do you really think this is ok? I'm so sorry but I don't think so. I have no problem with a child failing in sports because it's not something that is going to make their life go around if they get a good education. Play sports outside of school so it does not have any bearing on our childrens education, and then if your good at it you can still get your education and a scout will still find you if you are up to par. Children don't need the added stress of the school jock looking down on them and picking on them. If the sports were outside of school, then there are no school jocks to tower over the peons and geeks that have their heads in their books, and the jocks might actually have to join in and do what they should be doing at school instead of getting out of school last period because they have to travel an hour away for a game.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:13 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
Are you and UNITE best friends?

I agree sports should not be the only reason that kids go to school but, you know what, if that is what gets them there in the morning, than so be it. YOU are describing the ideal, where kids go to school to learn, but HELLO, how many teenagers have you worked with?
If sports gets these kids through the doors in the morning and makes them work harder and get better grades to stay on the team, then so be it. Happiness leads to success, if you are not happy, you are not going to be successful. For a lot of kids, sports is their happinesss, it is what they are good at, it is what they love, it is their release. If they are happy, they will do better in school, proven fact. Like I have said over and over again, the most successful academic students that I have worked with have been athletes and I do not choose who I work with in case someone was gearing up to come back at me with that.
I am not sure where you live but in all the schools I have worked in, students had to have a certain GPA and be passing, on a week to week basis, at least 5 out of 7 classes in order to be eligible. ALSO, many coaches (who were teachers as well) would have further rules for their students academics and how they related to the team, and there were also team sponsored study halls for these kids. Academics for the athletes was taken VERY seriously and if you were failing classes, your a$$ was not on the field, period. Take sometime to study the NCAA's new policies regarding high school athletes and their academic requirements, it is getting more stringent.
Why would you campaign against something that brings kids happiness and makes them better, healthy people? I don't get that?

no, UNITE and i are not best friends. i just happen to agree with her on this issue. thank you for implying that i can't think for myself. i have agreed with you many times also. although i don't always post my agreement, i've given you rep points when i liked what you had to say (remember the mother who seems to think all teachers are worthless?) i guess i must be your best friend as well.

FTR, i'm not campaigning against anything, merely stating an opinion. the subject is not that important to me, to be frank, and although i do find this thread interesting, i certainly don't intend to go back and forth about it with you all day.

enjoy your afternoon.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:26 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
We can only give credit where credit is due. It does not take a (warped by parent (ugly) ) parent to have a child who knows that everyone is not good at everything. That is very wrong about "EVERYONE GETTING A CHANCE. IHSA RULES THAT!!!! Why do we as Americans want to pay for a program that excludes most of our children.
First, would it be possible for you to write in smaller paragraphs? Your one paragraph style is really very difficult to read.

And, the use of all the caps is tanamount to screaming - is that what you are doing?

Now, for your statement: Why do we as Americans want to pay for a program that excludes most of our children.

The simple answer is, most parents want sports programs in their schools. They like their children to have the opportunity to participate in sports programs in their schools.

If you, as a parent, don't want your child participating in sports, then, take them to a school that does not offer athletics.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:28 PM

847 posts, read 3,519,490 times
It does not take a (warped by parent (ugly) ) parent to have a child who knows that everyone is not good at everything.

What PP was saying is that a child who does NOT know that everyone is not good at everything has a warped parent. Re-read the post. Parents need to teach their kids realism.

What really gets me though is that "some" not most, just "some" EDUCATORS are fighting for the sports and not the EDUCATION.

I will fight tooth and nail for education, this thread is about sports, it does not always have to be one or the other. I will fight for honors programs, AP classes, technical programs, special education classes, art shows, band concerts, school dances, debate clubs, etc. as they are ALL part of education, sports included. This thread is about sports in schools, that is why we are talking about it. Start another thread about the importance of art in schools and I will fight for that too.

WE pay EDUCATORS TO EDUCATE AND WE ARE NOT GOING TO SETTLE FOR ANY LESS!!!

Where I come from, the educators are educating, not an issue. The kids are learning, getting good test scores and getting into college.

It is not going to hurt anybody to let every one play.

Everyone can play-in little league. Growing up is the time for everyone to play, high school is the time for kids to develop their talents. Colleges want to see kids focus in on a couple of things and do them well. The kids need to be guided to areas of strength not put in fake situations where they are taught that everyone is good at everything.

AS far as building character and a well rounded person, that comes from home and the world experiences- No one can deny that.

I can deny that. Am I no one? Sure, part of a child's character comes from the home but being well-rounded comes from excelling at different activities throughout life, participating and doing well in areas in which you are successful.

They build character walking through the hallways. That is just not enough to keep taking the MONIES AND EDUCATION TIME out of the classrooms where there is also characterization going on as we speak. Get it?

No, I don't get it? Who builds character walking through what hallways?

EVERY INDIVIDUAL IS DIFFERENT AND TALENTED IN DIFFERENT WAYS... jUST CAUSE JOHNNY COULDN'T SCRAPE UP THAT "A" does not mean he does not have talent in some or all sports.

Exactly, now you are proving my point! HA! Kids need to find what they are good at, if they are allowed to do everything they want, make every team or club they try out for, they will never develop their real talents.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokomo View Post
That has got to be one of the most absurd comments I have ever heard. It is not ok to let kids fail nor is it ok to let adults fail. Failing is nothing more than giving up which is exactly what is happening in schools with education.
Failing at something is part of life - everyone fails at something. Not everyone can succeed at everything they try or do. The key is, once you have failed, what do you do next?

Do you get up and try again? Do you try to do it differently?

On of the finest stories about this issue can be found in the biography of Henry Ford. He failed - many times. But, he got up and kept trying.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
no, UNITE and i are not best friends. i just happen to agree with her on this issue. thank you for implying that i can't think for myself. i have agreed with you many times also. although i don't always post my agreement, i've given you rep points when i liked what you had to say (remember the mother who seems to think all teachers are worthless?) i guess i must be your best friend as well.

FTR, i'm not campaigning against anything, merely stating an opinion. the subject is not that important to me, to be frank, and although i do find this thread interesting, i certainly don't intend to go back and forth about it with you all day.

enjoy your afternoon.
I was joking when I said that, trying to add a little light to the situation. I certainly did not mean to insult you.
Of course you can think for yourself, who said otherwise? Implications are a little hard to read into and easy to misinterpret on the internet.

I just have a hard time understanding where you all are coming from. I work in high schools every day and therefore consider my opinions on this to be pretty valid. If you were a nurse and had an opinion about healthcare, then yours would be certainly more valid than mine. I actually do not know what you do but know that some other posters here do not work in schools. Not that that means they can not have an opinion on here, but you know what I mean.

I am not trying to go back and forth with anyone, just simply doing what we all do on this forum, state our opinions and defend them.

You have a nice afternoon as well!!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:39 PM

498 posts, read 1,519,643 times
Thumbs down Hi novanative

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
Thank you!!!! Why don't people get this? I sure as heck do not want a child that goes to school and does nothing but academics. Hmnmmm, what would that be? A VERY unhappy child who does not like school. Sports is an integral part of high school, those of us that work in high schools day to day and have an actual basis for our opinions know that.
Well, ok, but now try looking from the outside in. We as parents or non parent also have an actual hands on opinion as well. So see, we will have to open our eyes and our minds and get this together for ALL OF THE CHILDREN. I would love to see all of the sports kids take tests that they have already taken and come out with a high "A". Not gonna happen. Oh, and maybe 3 out of 300 would pass it, but what about the other 297 sports kids who also do NOT get the EDUCATION. THEY ARE MADE TO SUCCEED WITH A PUSHED PENCIL. I HAVE COACHES WHO ADMIT TO ALL OF THIS. THEY DO WORRY THAT THE SPORTS STAR IS NOT GONNA BE EDUCATIONALLY READY FOR COLLEGE, DUE TO HAVING TO PLAY A GAME. Meaning they have "coddled grades". I am at a loss when EDUCATORS talk about happy children. What is that all about?? Sports is not what makes a child happy. You lose the game a week ago, but it is still lingering in the EDUCATION halls. "Johnny is mad this week. He feels like it is all his fault because he fumbled. So Johnny isn't a very nice person to be around right now. We will just look the other way when Johnny is being bad cause we have to have him on the field to win a game." Been there, done that, over and over. IF THERE IS SO MUCH MONEY THAT COMES FROM THESE SPORTS, THAN WHY DO EDUCATORS FIND IT FIT TO TAKE AWAY FROM THE MONIES FOR THE REAL LEARNERS. If anyone wants their child to have fun at school, then send them to a daycare. My child is there to learn. HE will learn like it or not. The talk about children dropping out of school is a farse. NOt true at all. Things being said like that is the one that is discrediting the real learners. I believe you have your groups mixed up. Think about it. Do the numbers. WE ARE NOT GOING TO SETTLE FOR ANY LESS. SPORTS DO NOT BELONG IN EDUCATION. IF THEY DID THAN WE WOULD BE AT THE TOP OF THE COUNTRIES SMARTEST LIST. THEY ARE NOT HOLDING UP THEIR END OF THE DEAL. GIVE CREDIT ONLY WHERE CREDIT IS DUE. LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-11-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokomo View Post
That has got to be one of the most absurd comments I have ever heard. It is not ok to let kids fail nor is it ok to let adults fail. Failing is nothing more than giving up which is exactly what is happening in schools with education.
No, THIS has got to be one of the most absurd comments I have ever heard. Where do you live where kids are successful at EVERYTHING they do?? Cause I would love to move to your fantasy land! Kids learn from failure, they learn from their mistakes, they learn how to pick up and move on. They learn how to be resilient. Should we encourage failure, of course not, but should we sit back and keep blinders on that it will not happen, of course not.
Life is full of disappointment and kids need to learn how to deal with it.

Are you opposed to kids going to college? I would guess no, but correct me if I am wrong. You do realize that kids do not always get in where they apply and are often heartbroken when they do not get their first choice. Should we just tell them not to apply anywhere for fear that they might not get in. Should we tell our kids not to apply for that scholarship because they might not get it? Should we tell our kids not to apply for the National Honor Society because they might not be accepted?
No, we prepare them with skills on dealing with disappointment, rejection and failure because we will all face it in life.

The real skill is how they deal with it, resiliency, how they pick themselves up and move on, learn from the situation and hopefully come out shining in the end.

Failing is NOT giving up. Should I tell my student who did not get into Harvard, yet has a 4.0, 2300 SATs and is president of the French Club and Captain of the Field Hockey team, that she gave up? I didn't think so. I tell her that she did her best, she can look back and know that she did the best she could but not everyone gets everything.

Next time you go job hunting and do not get the job, let me know whether you gave up or whether you did your best in the interview, researched the company in depth and provided excellent recommendations.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
The talk about children dropping out of school is a farse. NOt true at all. Things being said like that is the one that is discrediting the real learners.
You do not think kids drop out of school?? What fantasy world do you live in?

Old 12-11-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
The talk about children dropping out of school is a farse. NOt true at all.

Really? No drop outs?

Let me give you some insight: CCSD - Clark County School District (Las Vegas) - High School - over 70% of the Freshmen that started this year WILL NOT GRADUATE. They will "drop out" -

I don't know where you get your information from but, I think it is from the Land of Oz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education