Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 648 times

Advertisements

One of my professors had subtracted 5 points from every student's grade every phone he caught. In all my college years this is the best way to prevent people from using phones in class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 03:00 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,253 times
My kids' school is a BYOD school, so yes, cell phones are allowed to be used.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:54 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,763,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktothefuture View Post
Teachers,

In your classes what do you do when students pull out their iPhone, iPod, 3DS (as they inevitably do). Do you let it slide, or make a giant fuss etc Do you even see it as a problem & if you do what would you do to resolve it ?
Caveat: I am a part-time community college professor, almost always teaching in the evenings.

On the first day of class, when we go over the syllabus, I outline my cell-phone policy. Don't really have a problem with 3DS, whatever that is.

1.) I ask if there are any policemen, firemen, or any other type of emergency personnel in the class. If so, I tell the class that they may leave their phones on, (for obvious reasons).

2.) I also say that everybody can leave their phone on, but if it rings, we will stop the lecture and we will all listen in to the conversation, and that we expect to hear, "I love you too." at the end. It has only happened several times over the past few years. You can imagine my embarrassment when my own phone rang one night.

3.) I do not allow texting of any type, especially during tests. I tell them a little story that was passed on to me.

A teacher once told her class that texting is not allowed. She said that when she looks out, all she sees is a student with their hands in their laps, head looking/bowed down, and a big smile on their face. She said that there would be none of that in her class! (Please don't ask me to explain that. Use your imagination.)

I tell them to save the texting until after class or during the break, if we take one. It really doesn't bother me, unless it gets disruptive. Then I come down pretty hard, otherwise, it's not an issue in my classes.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:00 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,743,276 times
Well since students have these phones all the time why don't educators use them for education instead of taking them away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education