Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2008, 07:06 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times

Advertisements

Most who gripe about schools probably think that everything started to go to hell in a handbasket the year after they graduated. And they haven't spent 15 minutes in a school since then. But certain political viewpoints love to dump on public education, so these "armchair critics" jump on the bandwagon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 08:49 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Most who gripe about schools probably think that everything started to go to hell in a handbasket the year after they graduated. And they haven't spent 15 minutes in a school since then. But certain political viewpoints love to dump on public education, so these "armchair critics" jump on the bandwagon.
Perhaps... but many are parents who either choose to put their kids in public schools and are concerned, or parents who choose not to send their kids to public schools BECAUSE they were concerned.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
I agree. I have a number of friends who don't have kids; they are the ones that are criticizing the schools to holy heck. Those of us with kids in school, at least among my acquaintances, are reasonably happy with the public schools or whatever schools we send our children to. Most of us are also involved somehow with improving the schools, which is not to say we think they area so gawd-awful bad. I have seen a lot of things in my kids' schools that were an improvement over the way it was when I was a kid. For example (since someone is bound to ask), the emergence of sports for girls, so they don't have to be confined to cheerleading. In high schools, AP courses and other opportunity to earn college credit. Many other things.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:47 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
When I compare my public school curriculum and educational quality from when I was in Kindergarten (1974) to the public school curriculum and educational quality of my daughter's current Kindergarten class, her's is VASTLY superior to mine. So, to me, I see is going uphill.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:50 PM

149 posts, read 467,492 times
Exclamation Not so fast!

Quote:
That may or may not be the situation with most critics of the American Education System, and I do not know for certain... so I will do what is prudent and not pass judgment. But what I do know for certain is that I have spent my whole life in school - I graduated high school in 2004, and will be receiving my bachelor's degree this coming May.

And meaningful criticisms of the education system are expressed through genuine concern - not political viewpoint. This issue is not about politics; it is about concern for those who are supposed to be taught to think for themselves and form their own beliefs and opinions. To that end, it is a common sense issue.

Those who express sentiments about the education system - positive or negative - on the basis of political viewpoint or uneducated belief, are guilty of having the exact kind of thinking we need to get rid of in schools. These are the people who bash or compliment the education system simply because "everyone else is doing it" or "it sounds like a cool thing to do." I will wager a guess that most people who think this way got their entire education through the public school system.

Why? Because they were taught from an early age to let someone else do their own thinking for them. If that's not dangerous, I don't know what is.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,404 times
I'm not sure if someone already talked about this, but there is a 20-20 news report on the educational system in America. It's called "Stupid in America". I think it put a little too much blame on the teachers and focuses nothing at all on the parents. But then again we are hiring seual preditors for teachers these days. But, watch the video and make your own opinion.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:25 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Default When did US public education start going downhill?

Some of us on here are........seasoned........ and have been hearing how crappy schools are our entire lives.
In the 50s we're behind the Russians, tons of money for math and science.
The 60s and early 70s were overpaid teachers.
The 80s was the A Nation At Risk era.
The 90s were fairly calm.
Now, with the recession, we're back to the teachers are overpaid.
Many of us were tracked so those of us in College Prep had little contact in academic classes with the lower achieving kids (I did, but then again I cut across all the levels, smart, redneck, semi-poor kid). Those kids went to vocational type classes, which have been gutted in comprehensive high schools because parents, let me repeat parents, have demanded we create a college going culture in high schools for everyone. Even when we teachers know that some kids will never get any closer to college than the road going past campus.
The result is you have kids in Algebra II who can't do division or multiplication, kids in Chemistry who were overwhelmed in Earth Science and kids in Lit courses who should be in Reading Skills.
Newsflash, the general kids never read at grade level

Old 06-09-2010, 06:21 PM

149 posts, read 467,492 times
Exclamation Algebra needs to become an elective. And same with all higher-level math courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The result is you have kids in Algebra II who can't do division or multiplication, kids in Chemistry who were overwhelmed in Earth Science and kids in Lit courses who should be in Reading Skills.

Yes, but know that Algebra --even at the most basic level-- should be an elective and not a core requirement.

Why?

Because at least 90% of jobs in America don't require more than what is needed to complete taxes, and get a car from point a to point b without running out of gas.

Remember, we're living in a country where only 25% of the population has a degree (the majority of whom have associates). And there are ~300,000 people among us... So that's a whole lot of people who don't know algebra (or anything higher).

So --just to reiterate-- ~90% of jobs in America don't require anything beyond basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

Bottom Line: Algebra (and all higher math classes) should not be required for graduation from high school. They need to be electives. Otherwise, millions of students will continue to be held back wrongfully (and through little-to-no fault of their own).

(Algebra and above should also not be required for college majors with no need for math whatsoever. For example, an English major should not be required to pass an Algebra course... unless he/she's a double major and the other is Engineering).

This is from someone who is algebraically-illiterate, and has a Bachelor of Science degree.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:39 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Sadly, I thought they'd already gone to hell in a handbasket when I was in school and it's MUCH MUCH worse today.

Kids have become too important. Important enough that we pass them even if they don't deserve it, excuse their bad behavior, make excuses when they fail to live up to their responsiblities....I think we need to go back to a paddle on the backside if you didn't do what you were supposed to . It works. Hover parents coming to the rescue serves no one.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:42 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Some of us on here are........seasoned........ and have been hearing how crappy schools are our entire lives.
In the 50s we're behind the Russians, tons of money for math and science.
The 60s and early 70s were overpaid teachers.
The 80s was the A Nation At Risk era.
The 90s were fairly calm.
Now, with the recession, we're back to the teachers are overpaid.
Many of us were tracked so those of us in College Prep had little contact in academic classes with the lower achieving kids (I did, but then again I cut across all the levels, smart, redneck, semi-poor kid). Those kids went to vocational type classes, which have been gutted in comprehensive high schools because parents, let me repeat parents, have demanded we create a college going culture in high schools for everyone. Even when we teachers know that some kids will never get any closer to college than the road going past campus.
Yup. And they say it's my fault 1/3 of my class failed. It's really hard to teach kids who don't have the prerequisite knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education