Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 06:37 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times

Advertisements

While it's not easy, you don't necessarily have to live on one income to homeschool. I work from home, for example. It takes a ton of juggling, but my kids are at ages where they're mostly independent in their schoolwork, and I can arrange my schedule to take advantage of whatever social/extra opportunities come up. There are quite a few moms in my homeschool group who work part-time, and at least one who works fulltime in the evenings while her husband works fulltime during the daytime hours.

It's a challenge, but it can be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 07:02 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,096,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
I was homeschooled, but being in my mid-20s now, I don't see how I could raise a family on one income.
And there it is. Homeschooling takes a potential earner out of the workplace.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:26 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
It appears that a really small percentage (3.4%) of American kids are homeschooled, just wanted to hear from homeschoolers why they may think that is?

Thanks.
Maybe the answer is simply that most Americans are satisfied with their local public schools, especially since the quality/reputation of the local school district is a major determinant of where people with children buy or rent homes.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:55 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Maybe the answer is simply that most Americans are satisfied with their local public schools, especially since the quality/reputation of the local school district is a major determinant of where people with children buy or rent homes.
Most Americans (particularly the 99% that don't live in the top-rated public school districts) find the public school system and their own public schools wanting, the homeschooling population is increasing exponentially and the percentage has doubled in just the past decade or so, so I doubt your explanation.

My answer to the OP is that any change or movement, especially as radical a one as homeschooling, has to go through certain phases before it can dominate; first, people have to be aware that a practice exists before they start doing it themselves, and must believe they can do it (legally, practically, etc). Most people were ignorant of its existence until well into the 2000's, and most have yet to be convinced that it is an option for their situation. Experience, which comes primarily from the passage of time, is also necessary, because a practice can only dominate when it is refined, when support exists, when resources exist, and there are many readily-available successful examples of people in all walks of life doing the practice. Even after all this is already in place, defection to a new practice (barring a cataclysm) only ever occurs at a certain rate, so more time is required before the practice becomes dominant.

Multiple generations passed between the widespread introduction of public schools and high schools and when they became the norm for their age group. Centuries passed between the widespread introduction of colleges and when they became commonplace for young adults (even today only 39% of those aged 25-34 have an associates degree or higher). At current rates of growth the majority of children will be homeschooled by the middle of this century, give or take a few decades, only two generations after its widespread introduction, so it's currently proceeding as fast or faster than any other major change in educational practice ever has.

Whether it will proceed at that pace or decelerate is a good question; there are arguments that growth may even accelerate in the next few decades, and there is in any case a natural ceiling that homeschooling will eventually hit (though my belief is that ceiling can't be much lower than 50% or much higher than 80%). A fascinating trend emerging in parallel is schools that replicate an upper-class homeschooling model as closely as possible, such as the Avenues school in NYC, so where that ceiling ends up will depend greatly on whether the average school is like Avenues (a lower ceiling) or like today's public schools (a higher ceiling).

Old 03-08-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
And there it is. Homeschooling takes a potential earner out of the workplace.
Not necessarily, but most do believe that to be true, so it is a reason that many won't consider it.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:50 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Yes, it is a juggle, so far as family income goes.
But really, life in general is a juggle so I'm not seeing it as a relevant issue in our case...

Old 03-08-2015, 01:27 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
It appears that a really small percentage (3.4%) of American kids are homeschooled, just wanted to hear from homeschoolers why they may think that is?

Thanks.
^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Most Americans (particularly the 99% that don't live in the top-rated public school districts) find the public school system and their own public schools wanting, the homeschooling population is increasing exponentially and the percentage has doubled in just the past decade or so, so I doubt your explanation.
Sez you. Prove it with real stats that show that "most Americans ... find the public school system and their own public schools wanting".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
My answer to the OP is that any change or movement, especially as radical a one as homeschooling, has to go through certain phases before it can dominate; first, people have to be aware that a practice exists before they start doing it themselves, and must believe they can do it (legally, practically, etc). Most people were ignorant of its existence until well into the 2000's, and most have yet to be convinced that it is an option for their situation. Experience, which comes primarily from the passage of time, is also necessary, because a practice can only dominate when it is refined, when support exists, when resources exist, and there are many readily-available successful examples of people in all walks of life doing the practice. Even after all this is already in place, defection to a new practice (barring a cataclysm) only ever occurs at a certain rate, so more time is required before the practice becomes dominant.

Multiple generations passed between the widespread introduction of public schools and high schools and when they became the norm for their age group. Centuries passed between the widespread introduction of colleges and when they became commonplace for young adults (even today only 39% of those aged 25-34 have an associates degree or higher). At current rates of growth the majority of children will be homeschooled by the middle of this century, give or take a few decades, only two generations after its widespread introduction, so it's currently proceeding as fast or faster than any other major change in educational practice ever has.

Whether it will proceed at that pace or decelerate is a good question; there are arguments that growth may even accelerate in the next few decades, and there is in any case a natural ceiling that homeschooling will eventually hit (though my belief is that ceiling can't be much lower than 50% or much higher than 80%). A fascinating trend emerging in parallel is schools that replicate an upper-class homeschooling model as closely as possible, such as the Avenues school in NYC, so where that ceiling ends up will depend greatly on whether the average school is like Avenues (a lower ceiling) or like today's public schools (a higher ceiling).
This is total nonsense. "Homeschooling" has never worked as a successful substitute for public education for the general populace of any country. Ever.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:58 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
IDK, but I think homeschooling would be easier during the early grades. Then as you get into more advanced subject material, around 6th-7th grade, that could be really tough for the average parent to pull off.

Also, a LOT of people live in areas where the schooling is quite good, so parents don't feel the need to homeschool.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:38 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Sixth and 7th is "advanced?"

Personally, I've found it easier to homeschool my kid now that he's in high school and doing stuff like Chemistry, Ancient History and Trig.
I don't "teach" this stuff out of my head. I'm more of a facilitator, or tutor, at this point. And, because he's older and more self-driven, I'm headed out the door to work today.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
^^^

This is total nonsense. "Homeschooling" has never worked as a successful substitute for public education for the general populace of any country. Ever.
What do you think went on before mandatory schooling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education