Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 11:16 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
I have difficulty finding right books for my child. He is almost 10 and going to be a fifth grader this fall. His lexile measuresment is 1300L when i look on lexile website for books recommendations they are either too serious like Great expectation, the tragidy of Macbeth or not age appropriate like Clock works orange. I wanted to get him to read something fun but also cultivating him to develope a better reading skill. At his age but high reading skill should i stick with age group books or throw him a few George Orwell or a Marguez?
Ps: He doesn't like reading. I force reading 30 mins a day and every 10 chapters books read he got $5
Glancing over your post, I would guess your reading scores are somewhat less than those of your child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 12:56 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times
What are his interests? Do you have books available in the home? A visit to the public library to pick up a variety of books is a great idea. Try some books that have stood the test of time, D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane, Hatchet by Gary Paulsen, Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.
I would never force a child to read but having a variety of books available and limiting internet, tv and video games may lead him to pick up a book.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:02 PM

564 posts, read 449,067 times
Foget it, Mom. Leave the kid be. It's very nearly meaningless. My entire childhood was filled with off the charts percentiles (IQ and the like back then) with the exception of manual skills. After a few months of schooling in my chosen field we all took one of those tests. In my interview over the results, the truly brilliant, really, advisor praised my results in most areas, save the one I was dealing with which demanded manual dexterity, and he suggested I look into other areas.

I finished that three-year program in 11 months and was among a handful of people in my field nationally known within less than ten years. Had I been "forced" into other areas for which I appeared better suited but lacked interest, things may not have ended well.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:17 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I don't know why you never heard of these as a kid.

My mom had both Black Beauty and White Fang in our home library. We also had Wind in the Willows, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Wizard of Oz and many, many more. We also were at the library at least once a week and could take out any books that we fancied. In my school also, we read lots of excellent books. Just because you did not like certain books does not mean they were not worth reading.
My mother bought us a collection of classic books for Christmas one year. They included all of the named books and many others.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:53 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Just because you did not like certain books does not mean they were not worth reading.
What books did I say I did not like?

There are now more than 55,000 works in Project Gutenberg. How many books can we expect or even encourage a 10 year old to read? So don't we have to think about some kind of priority beside this Lexile nonsense?

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/sear...r=release_date

Old 08-12-2017, 02:28 PM

Consider this graph:

https://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...ligion%3B%2Cc0

Look at what happened to the use of the word 'technology' between 1966 and 1986.

Does this mean reading suggestions should change from what would have been good before 1960?

Last edited by psikeyhackr; 08-12-2017 at 02:44 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 10:06 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Why does it matter WHERE a child gets his books from? Shouldn't it matter that he is READING? No matter in what form? I admit psikeyhackr, I do not understand your predilection for talking about the FORM a book takes over the fact that a book is sitting in a child's hands.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:00 AM

10,905 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Please don't force or pay your child to read, that sends the message that reading isn't fun and you should only do it under duress or if there's a payout.

Find stuff he'll enjoy reading so he develops a lifelong love affair with books.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Shouldn't it matter that he is READING? No matter in what form?
If you want to exaggerate my emphasis on the form that is your business. To me what matters is more books fit in a tablet. How much space do 100 paper books take up, not to mention over 1,000 that I have read? And there are apps that can read a book and a child can listen to a book while walking down the street. It is content that matters not form but some forms are more efficient.

I used to walk 20 minutes to high school every morning and back. I usually walked more slowly going back. I read The Scarlet Letter and Mayor of Casterbridge in high school. Today a kid could use this app

Alreader.com - new perspective on reading e-books.

to listen to the books while making the walk. The books are free in Project Gutenberg. I would not hesitate to do that if I knew about it, if I were in high school today. So why shouldn't adults suggest it. It is not like I can force anyone to do what I suggest so what is your problem?

Or do you just want kids to stay in a rut whether they want to or not?

Old 08-13-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Find stuff he'll enjoy reading so he develops a lifelong love affair with books.
Fine! How do you do that? Doesn't she/he have to try it to determine for him/herself?

But is it BOOKS or is it CONTENT?

Last edited by psikeyhackr; 08-13-2017 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education