Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:28 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,990 times

Advertisements

Silly list. FWIW, I have a Roomba (old one, but still, it's a robot) and it doesn't do nearly as good a job as my Dyson. So guess who still manually vacuums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 02:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Yeah - tying shoes.

I have a story about this. About a block away from me lived a family with a number of issues working against them. Because of this I perceived of their children as neglected and used to do a little something with one or the other of them and sometimes all of them in the summertime.

The youngest was always walking around with his tennies untied and when I learned that he didn't know how to tie them I thought to teach him how. That would only take about a week, right? Guess not. We're talking slow learner here.

He struggled; I struggled. But finally he got it. Hooray! Joy and jubilation!

Imagine how disgusted I was when he showed up the night before school started with his new Velcro tennies saying, "Look, Lodestar - I don't have to tie my shoes anymore."

Maybe that's a good thing but I'm not sure. Somehow it felt like low expectations to me.
My dad (88) has no laced shoes or boots at all. Our kids have very few almost 100% velcro. Roombas are not expensive. We have a couple of them (they broke though) they were $100. they keep getting better every year and will get cheaper. Robot lawn mowers are now more common than the people jumping on the goat bandwagon for lawn maintenance.

I think many people do not understand how fact technology is moving and how much faster it moves each and every year.

Self driving cars will take over within our lifetimes and according to the US big three, within ten years they will be the primary type of car made.

I never learned to touch type. I write for a living (sort of). As soon as VR gets better, I will give up keyboards entirely. Already I virtually never tough my smartphone except to turn it on. I cannot remember the last time I dialed a phone number or typed in an address.

Libraries are moving somewhat away from books. Yes they still have books and magazines but my wife (a librarian) spends as much or more time helping people find things on a computer as she does managing books. She also spends a lot of time, possibly 1/3 on e-books. Their e-book lending library is huge, way bigger than the physical library. I like physical books far better than E-books, but I have to accept physical books are going away eventually, or they will be just a novelty for old people and a few nostalgic younger people.

In addition to younger kids not needing to learn to drive, they are losing interest in driving. Many kids do not bother getting a drivers license until after high school. https://www.nbcnews.com/business/tee...eel-6C10607879 Then when they grow up, they often do not buy cars and are flocking to the abandoned downtowns to avoid having to drive. We have to recognize the upcoming generations are not the same was we were. They are not only accepting of self driving cars, they want them.

Cooking at home is dying out. Just slowly. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7f9c0bc954be It really is not necessary anymore, especially if you exclude heating prepared foods from the definition of cooking. Recently making Otis Spunkmeyer cookies with one of my adult children I discovered she did not know cookies could be made from scratch by mixing ingredients. When is the last time anyone bought some flour to make a pizza at home? Mass produced food is often better tasting, it can be healthier, it is faster, it is cleaner and safer (at least conceptually). In today fast paced over-scheduled lifestyle, who wants to take time out to cook something, when you can nuke it or heat it in an oven while you do something else.

Just because you do not like things on the list to be true, does not mean that are not going to happen.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:32 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Education of todays very young children kids will be pretty different from our education. They will need to learn things we cannot even imagine right now, and they wi not need to learn a lot of things we had to learn. A lot of things we learned (and use) will not longer be relevant for these kids. Some are school skills some are basic life skill taught by parents. A few come to mind:

How to drive (and certainly not manual transmission).

Cursive writing. (Already dying out).

Change the oil in a car. (Unlikely to be needed and probably impractical for most people anyway).

Typing. (Voice recognition and thumb typing have already pretty much taken over. A few places remain where typing is needed, but they will be gone by the time current pre-scholers are of working age.)

Change a tire. (Already dying out. Many new cars do not even have a spare).

Cooking other than the most rudimentary skills. (Prepackaged microwave meals are too convenient and keep getting better and better quality. Why cook?).

Tying shoes. (No need. Other types of fasteners work better).

Mow a lawn. (Robot lawn mowers are already becoming common).

Vacuum or mop (again robots already do this).

I wonder whether singing and playing music will remain a taught skill? As auto-tune and sampling improve music may become just an issue of operating a computer. Already many of the current pop starts are terribly singers and many are even terrible musicians. Will we still be teaching music to kids in 15 years? It helps develop logical thinking and math skills, but those skills can be developed in other ways. I hope so, but I wonder.

What else?

Sew on a sewing machine. Clothes can be purchased so inexpensively it doesn't save money to purchase patterns, zippers, and material.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:53 AM

67 posts, read 48,483 times
15 years comes quick. I know society is making progress, but I don' think it will be as quick as everyone thinks. I distinctly remember when I was 10 years old being told they might have flying cars by the time I got my license. I'm still waiting for my flying car.[/quote]

Exactly. Everyone gets so infatuated with "technology". As if "technology" is a new thing in and of itself. Cursive can go as it was always optional.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:59 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Kid could have been dyslexic or had some other info processing disorder which would hinder his ability to tie the laces of his sneakers or any other shoe that needed tying of the laces.

And yes, even after getting it "right" a few times.
Look at adults' tied shoes for the next couple days.
Most grownups are doing it wrong.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:57 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
It is really hard to predict these things, but I do hate that cursive is dying out. It is easier on the hands than printing, and it is easier to take notes with.

I suppose everyone will be typing all of this into tablets and phones, eventually. But I still hate the thought that my grandkids will not know cursive writing.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:39 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Young people won't have to learn to dress in layers for cold weather. Because of global warming.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:41 AM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times
Depending where you are, young people haven't dressed in layers (or long clothes!) for cold weather for years if not generations. That's not even remotely new and has nothing to do with global warming. Drive around Southwest Washingtax on a 20 degree day and you're likely to see at least one shlub dressed in thongs or slides, basketball shorts and T-shirt like it's July.

IMHO, FWIW, handwriting disappeared in the late 70s thanks to Mr Neal-Thurber. Look him up. His system is 100% responsible for my chicken-scratch that is supposed to represent "penmanship" and why, in almost middle-age, I am teaching myself Palmer. The original Palmer method is dated and old-fashioned by today's standards but it's time-tested.

Quote:
I was taught how to type on a typewriter in middle-school, and I'm not even 35. I wouldn't guess there are 100 total Americans under the age of 25 who could load, and use correctly, a typewriter.

Well, I am 35 and I learned on a self-correcting IBM Selectric II, then the next term they got a fleet of 22 MHz 386 PS/2s running Netware & DOS 5.0 (some with black & white displays) donated from an high school when they "upgraded" their computer lab to Macinturds. (Well, it's an "upgrade" in the fact that they were more recent, but that's beyond the scope of this post.)

This was in 1996-1998.

Quote:
You might as well type it yourself to be more accurate. Besides, if everyone uses voice recognition, the room will be so loud and everyone can hear what you're doing, and no one will like that. And if everyone is talking at the same time, how can the computer's microphone hear you?

I've been related stories of businesses trying to replace typing with voice recognition/dictation as far back as the mid 1990s, and that was exactly the result. There was no more time saved compared to typing manually and offices became so noisy as to be counterproductive.

Last edited by Ttark; 01-30-2019 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-30-2019, 08:35 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Children will not need to learn to deal with criticism. Especially those children who happen to be a member of a protected class, but generally, all criticism is now couched in terms tailored to sound like "praise, but".

Old 01-31-2019, 10:54 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
OP, I really disagree with your last one - music.

Autotune and sampling will not be able to replicate the talent of a true talented artist.. An auto-tuned Britney can not move the human soul like the reverberations from the cello of YoYo Ma. It would take the human race becoming tone deaf for electronic tricks to replace musical talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education