Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 04:42 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,808 times

Advertisements

We moved from Michigan to North Carolina and to be truthful I'm at my last nerve when it comes to schools. I had trouble in the Elementary and now my son who will be in the 10th grade will start school Moitting in the office. They have his IEP and his last year report card. I signed the papers for the paperwork from his last year school. They have spoke with that school but now it is because they don't have his transcrips so he can't be put in classes. I said well what she he do on MOnday. They said he could come and sit in the office. I said no he isn't. I worked in a school for 5 years as a para pro and I believe the first day is the most important. Then they said that some of his classes in Michigan might not count. What. I 'm worried that if they don't count will he still be in 10th grade? I can't tell you how mad I will be to hear that. He worked so hard last year and there is no way that is going to happen. Anyone else had trouble with High school transferes to another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 05:55 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
I think this applies for anyone changing high schools, even in-state. It is a normal thing for other classes to not count, the same thing happened to me way back when. The worst part is that I didn't even move from out of state, I went from a South Carolina school to another one less than 100 miles away. They bumped me down to 10th grade status, but at the end of the year I was technically a Senior and I graduated.

With no national curriculum this sort of thing is bound to happen. You can't expect the new school to accept classes they don't offer (except in special cases). More so with that much of a regional change.

The best advice I can give is to tough it out, if your child must be classified as a 10th grader, that shouldn't be a problem, so long as he can rack up enough credits to be a Senior the next year around.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:00 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
If your son attended an accredited schoo in Michigan, I don't understand how they could say classes might not count. I'm with you--the first day is important and he should go to class. They could at least get him into English II and his electives...good luck!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:38 PM

He takes Special Ed for Math and English and they have his IEP but even then they were calling the other school because they thought there should be more info. I told them that his IEP was mabe 4 pages and that they might be waiting for something they won't get. THe other classes he took were regular education. He passed World History and Biology for the Science. It better transfer. My son has trouble in school he won;'t be able to make up stuff and why should he. The school is a regular Public school he went to with very high standings.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:19 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Do you have a complete IEP? IEPs vary across states. They may need to sit down with you to develop an IEP compliant to NC standards. Ask them if they need to do that.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:06 PM

THe issue isn't the IEP they will have to dio a transfere IEP in 30 days. They said the IEP isn't the issue. They clam it is the transcripes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education