Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 06:20 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,883 times

Advertisements

How was it? Did you enjoy it? Are you working in the field now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 01:36 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
It's a way to earn a living. I think that anyone that would "enjoy" going to a mortuary school would not be the average person.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:49 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
2.5 million Baby boomers will be turning 65 each year. In about 10 years, there should be a surge in customers. If you like to dress in black, enjoy listening to The Cure or Joy Division, and like to work in cool, damp surroundings, this career may be for you...

Old 09-09-2008, 01:55 PM

17 posts, read 56,076 times
oh man, I love joy division!

I actually played in a band in college with a guy who went to mortuary school. He was a dual Art History/Math major. Weird guy, but he loved math, and all that goth music. He's out of school now, and makes tons of money. Maybe your stereotype is spot on!

Old 09-09-2008, 06:24 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,883 times
That is pretty stupid to imply that only goth type people would enjoy mortuary school. I've been to many Funeral homes and the only type I ever see working there are uptight people in suits. I also know lots of goths and not one of them works in that field.

I'd rather work in a Funeral home anyday compared to some horrible corporate office.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:57 PM

119 posts, read 865,474 times
There was this guy that I worked with that took all sorts of classes: one week it was real estate, the next it was court reporting. He would always attend one session of any given class, then quit because of the teacher or the room temperature. I suggested he try mortuary science since that was the only class he hadn't tried and dropped out of.

A coworker of ours said that I had a very soothing, calming voice, and she pictured me as someone that could comfort families in their time of loss.

The show Six Feet Under was great, but I wouldn't want anything to do with preparing the departed. I might consider driver or business manager.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:11 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
It's a way to earn a living. I think that anyone that would "enjoy" going to a mortuary school would not be the average person.
I don't know. I think plenty of people out there see themselves as compassionate, service-oriented, caring types. This seems like a GOOD fit for mortuary science, actually.... and the science of it could be very interesting.

I couldn't stomach it but I'm a wuss like that. I couldn't handle many health careers either for the same reason. Also, I tend to cry when others are very upset in my presence and they are crying. I wouldn't be crying for the deceased but for those left behind... I tend to be a bit TOO empathic that way. I wouldn't be much help!

My ex went for a degree in mortuary science but quit. He was hardly "goth". More of a punk actually.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:22 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
I have one friend who went through it and is now working in the field and another who is going through it. They both love it and they would both be really insulted if you called them goth. I am pretty sure that the first friend got into it because it was simply something different from what everyone else does for a living and the second guy has been way into the Sandman comics since they came out, so that may be an influence on him.

My personal opinion is that mortuary science is not as creepy or morbid as most people probably think.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:38 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
I was the office manager of a funeral home for 5 years. I much preferred the FH than the previous 10 years or so in the banking industry. The men and women that I worked with were a very caring and wonderful group of people to work with. They literally had a "calling" to work in the industry. The work can be very hard emotionally, and the hours can be long. K-Luv is right, people are not creepy or morbid who work in the industry. Six-Feet-Under gave a very strange and unrealistic view of the industry. A&E had a small series on a few years ago called, "Family Plots" which was a much more realistic view.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:55 PM

331 posts, read 1,198,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
A coworker of ours said that I had a very soothing, calming voice, and she pictured me as someone that could comfort families in their time of loss.
I have considered doing this part-time. I have experienced a lot of loss of close relatives. I know that this is one occupation that most would not consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education