Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
And then he mentioned that in his two decades of teaching he still knows plenty of employers who have a two word rule; that is if they find more than two misspelled words on a resumé or cover letter they will toss the 'offending' item into the trash.
I can't say I disagree with this. However, I have to note that I have witnessed plenty of people doing hiring who wouldn't be able to recognize or identify any misspelled words in those documents. And I also think that by that same token, a hiring manager who sends out correspondence including the same number of errors should be summarily fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 04:51 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I can't say I disagree with this. However, I have to note that I have witnessed plenty of people doing hiring who wouldn't be able to recognize or identify any misspelled words in those documents. And I also think that by that same token, a hiring manager who sends out correspondence including the same number of errors should be summarily fired.
There was no correspondence, just their unwritten policy. Years ago, when I was a screenwriting major, I worked as a reader. Not a proof-reader, mind you, just a reader to see if the script had what it took to possibly go on to the next level. We tossed most scripts in the trash for too many spelling errors and other grammatical mistakes. It is an industry-wide practice.

The teacher that I mentioned used to be the department chair, so he is pretty well networked. The practice of trashing resumes for grammatical errors is an accepted industry-wide practice in that field as well. I am not talking about working at McDonald's here.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
u MEAN i gotta sple bfroer thy wil readd mi stuf? how onfiar!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
It's as a possessive form if it might seem correct, because of words like Julia's, but you don't use 's with pronouns. After all, you don't say hi's or her's or our's--well, you'd better not, anyway. I do read things like Julia said the book was her's, which makes me wince a little. Just remember that possessives sometimes have apostrophes and sometimes don't, but contractions of multiple words like it is always have apostrophes. That might help you remember which is which.

A lady I worked with years ago wrote things like Dr. Jone's.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:52 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,721 times
My old law firm wouldn't consider anyone with a single typo on the resume or cover letter. It's a detail-oriented job, so the thinking goes, and someone who could be careless about misspellings on documents like these was seen as more likely to make mistakes on pleadings, etc., which can be fatal. My boss was maybe a little more uptight than some, but I don't believe many law firms would be interested in someone with two typos on a resume.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:41 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
When my son went to pre-school, they handed new parents a huge notebook with their rules and information in it.

It was SO FULL of errors that I almost tried to find a different pre-school to send my child to. It was everything in me not to get out my red pen, mark it up, and hand it back and ask for a new and edited copy.

In a professional setting I think it should be expected, for informal writing, it really isn't a huge issue to me.

Dawn

Old 01-16-2009, 06:03 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
When my son went to pre-school, they handed new parents a huge notebook with their rules and information in it.

It was SO FULL of errors that I almost tried to find a different pre-school to send my child to. It was everything in me not to get out my red pen, mark it up, and hand it back and ask for a new and edited copy.

In a professional setting I think it should be expected, for informal writing, it really isn't a huge issue to me.

Dawn
I might not have been able to help myself! When my middle child started kindergarten, his teacher had the days of the week hung around the classroom. Remember?, Sunday,Monday,Tuesday,Wenesday. I pointed it out to her one day, but it never did get changed.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:11 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,167 times
The one thing that has changed drastically in our schools is that the teachers don't seem to care enough to correct a child's errors. These same kids enter college and can't spell or write and to me this should still be the basics of a good education. When I receive letters from a teacher or school professional and it's full of errors it irks me no end. I keep wondering why our spelling and grammar have fallen to the wayside?

Old 01-16-2009, 06:40 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,721 times
Why? People with the attitude that spelling and grammar don't matter and that education is only a means to make money.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:10 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
As the T-shirt says: "I am the grammarian about whom your mother warned you." I can't help it. I come by it naturally, as the most recent in a long line of English majors and teachers and other joyfully enthusiastic word-nerds.

The only time I'm REALLY bothered by grammar/spelling mistakes is at work or when I find them in published books. My opinion is that in such cases, people should either know better or should at least put forth the effort to ensure that their work is as correct as possible. I'm not likely to police my friends' emails or message board postings, but I admit that I have a hard time reading posts that ignore the rules of spelling and grammar. My brain simply has a hard time translating the text. (I even TEXT-message in complete sentences with proper spelling. Seriously...I cannot help it.)

My group at work lost a business opportunity about 5 years ago because the contract we submitted had multiple spelling and grammar errors, and the company with which we were trying to do business expressed concerns over our lack of attention to detail. Ouch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education